Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,741 Posts
The vibe is off because expectations were set so high. The standard of 20 plus wins and competing for a conference title is still there and will likely be there at the end of the season. While getting top 25 votes is great and all, at the end of the day what matters most to me is that this team is in the mix and wins the Conference tournament. We have all been putting the cart before the horse will all this talk about what seed they will get when they make the tournament. I get it, we all want more and just making it to the tournament isnt good enough anymore. we have been spoiled and it shows. I am confident the ship will right itself and the focus should be getting guys healthy and prepared for conference play... which matters the most.
My take is that basically we were able to grind out some tough road wins, and the Herculean effort from Lamb against St. John's and Virginia- were masking some underlying problems the team really has had since the season began:

*Shooting % is awful, especially from deep...really struggling scoring.

*Shungu hasn't played a single game yet, it's kinda murky what his injury status is....apparently he's been cleared, but still not playing? I've seen some people say Shungu is our second best player. That's definitely debatable, but he's absolutely no worse than our third best player and for my money the best overall PG in the conference. You take the second or third players off most teams and they struggle probably worse than we do, but still....we need Shungu to be the team most thought we were going to be. Def a different team without him.

Somehow we've all drank the kool aid enough to think we can win without him, but we're not nearly as good w/out him. We're a much, much better team when Shungu is on the court, he probably has next best hoops IQ after Lamb.

*Powell red shirt. No clue what went on here but Powell played in all 33 games as a freshman and averaged 17mpg as a freshman. This wasn't some Everett red shirt sophomore year situation. He started both exhibition games, flirted with a triple double, and looked like he'd be on pace to maybe start or at the very least play 22-27mpg. I know I like Powell more than most, but this is certainly a head scratching decision.

*Giddens and Demuth. I think Giddens has been as advertised defensively and has been a great presence, but Demuth.....has not done much of anything. Neither has given us much offensively to speak of.

*Everett inconsistent, shooting 24% from 3. Basically the polar opposite of what Ernie gave us- superior perimeter shooting and consistency.

*Robin is playing a ton of minutes but he's not much of a threat to score and cannot shoot from the outside. He's a much taller, better version of Josh Elbaum, but instead of playing 8-10 minutes he's playing 30+ w/ Shungu out. Not good.

Those are the most glaring issues I'm seeing. there are likely others I'm missing or unaware of.

·
Premium Member
32,741 Posts
Brutal second foul call on Robin. Miss Giddens presence badly in this one.

·
Premium Member
32,741 Posts
Passing up layups to kick out for awful 3 attempts.

·
Premium Member
32,741 Posts
And then an air ball...cmon man. Gonna be hard if this is what happens when Lamb doubles.

·
Premium Member
32,741 Posts
Lamb cant really contest anything on interior b/c way whistles are going can’t risk the fouls. Significant disadvantage.

·
Premium Member
32,741 Posts
Stef needs to stop turning the ball over. Post haste.

·
Premium Member
32,741 Posts
Lol dude is getting assaulted, maybe one whistle?

21 - 40 of 114 Posts