Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Well at least they didn't quit. A shame they finally got hot from deep in a game where Cincinnati was even hotter although as noted, good teams hit open shots). apparently Cincinnati was like 300th in the country in free throw shooting entering today and then proceeded to hit 20 of 24. So it goes.

·
Premium Member
32,740 Posts
Lol... M'kay

Seriously, I thought there was something to build on in the last 10min.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Not sure what’s lol(?). Giddens presence would have had a tremendous impact on the game. Would have taken 7’1” Vogt off Lamb and vice versa. And Shungu is Shungu....so, yeah.

·
Premium Member
32,740 Posts
Everett played well, Stef played well. Lamb played well-had a few shots not drop that could have been more efficient, but he played great. Bailey was really good again and made some big plays.

Davis hit some 3s but otherwise struggled in the post and speed of Cincy’s bigs too much for him. He’s going to be great in AE play though where game will slow down.

More Deloney pls at point while Shungu is out. Things just ran much smoother.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,341 Posts
Davis played soft and tentative and got benched in the second half in favor of Demuth. Duncan likewise struggled to get teammates open shots and got benched in favor of Deloney.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Too little ball movement when Robin Duncan has the ball at point. Dribbles with his back to the basket, that needs to change, he’s struggling a bit to start the year. He’s a good kid and hard worker, hopefully he can clean that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
32,740 Posts
I will say, Demuth does do a nice job moving the basketball. He makes the right passes. I hope eventually I’ll be able to say more positive things about him, but he does do that.

More Deloney at point...less Robin. Still like Robin, but for 15min a game.

·
Premium Member
32,740 Posts
Hopefully we can get some answers on how long Giddens will be out and when/if Shungu is returning or what the deal is there.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,341 Posts
The team scored 73 points, which should be enough on most nights. The fact of the matter is that they defended poorly for most of the night and allowed a 28% 3pt shooting team to shoot 60% because of all the wide open looks.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
It was great to not see this team pack it in down 20. It'd be easy to say "If only they had more time..." but truthfully it's "If only we better used the time we were allotted." Too many stretches in this game where we just had nothing doing.

This is like an NCAA Tournament game where a) you have to be really good, and b) you need a few breaks to go your way. Someone beat me to it, but...Cincinnati, one of the worst FT-shooting teams in the country, goes 22-26. When they get the breaks, you're going to lose. With all other things being equal, they shoot FTs closer to their mean and this game gets tighter.

Despite the low shooting percentage, I thought Lamb was terrific. The 7 assists were a nice touch: it reflects not only his willingness to create for others, but others' ability to convert on those chances. Both are necessary if we're going anywhere this year.

Would've like to see this team at full strength for this game, but it is what it is. Let's get back in the win column Saturday.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Too little ball movement when Robin Duncan has the ball at point. Dribbles with his back to the basket, that needs to change, he’s struggling a bit to start the year. He’s a good kid and hard worker, hopefully he can clean that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would bet you that is by design. He's big by point guard standards. If UVM can isolate him on a smaller defender, in the paint, that should be advantage UVM. The times he's done it, UVM spreads the floor out, so that makes me think that it's a designed play. It's really no different than Stef or Deloney driving into the paint, he just does it more slowly, like a power forward.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts