Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I’m not sure what the Twitter reply was, but for me it comes down to pretty much everyone on the team needs to start stepping up and start hitting some fuxing shots. We got off to a nice start grinding out some tough road wins, being highly competitive with St. John’s-obviously winning that game- and then Virginia. All I kept thinking was “wait until we start hitting some shots and shooting well” but save for a game against CCSU where offense was easy to come by, though CCSU may end up being one of the worst teams in D1, this team is shooting like absolute dog poop to start the season.

Lamb now under 40% and 23% from 3. I know he will not end up here, but still tough stretch. Stef 38% that’s fine but can be off like tonight. Everett is shooting 24% from 3, and that’s like what he’s supposed to do, you know? It’s not like his brother where he’s taking tough, contested 3s at 40% clip- these are wide the F open 3s.

Our two backup PGs R Duncan and Deloney are 2-28 on 3s thus far does on season. That’s awful. Demuth took two 3s tonight, neither one hit the rim. Davis seems improved a bit from deep, but do I really have to watch him shoot a 3 after Robin dribbles the shot clock all the way down? Is that the best we can do?

I can’t remember a UVM team that has struggled this poorly from the perimeter. We’re almost a third into the season, so hopefully these percentages start trending upwards. If they hold we’re going to need to ask a lot of our defense each game, and I will def recalibrate my expectations.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Becker calls out the team to the media (and he should), and we get this reply from his exact quote (check it now before it probably gets deleted)

Well, Becker certainly nailed it on the head.

And it should be Lamb who’s Becker’s proxy on the team in these situations. He’s a senior, he’s the best player, and he’s seen for three years how it’s done culturally at this program. This is where he should take a leadership role and give everyone a little kick in the ass. Hopefully he is trying to do that, tweets notwithstanding.

But yeah, we gotta hit shots either way. The way the game is played now, it’s really hard to win without a couple knock down shooters. It just makes it too easy to guard you.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I sincerely hope that if Giddens is hurt and Davis steps into the starting role, DeMuth comes off the bench with a gigantic chip on his shoulder and fucks shit up in a way that doesn't seem possible at the moment.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I go back to those pre-season conversations about how much the team would miss Ernie Duncan. Games like this show how much. There were multiple games last year where Lamb was off and Ernie carried the offense and we still won. I was hoping Stef could be that guy because I didn’t see anyone else who could. But Stef really hasn’t taken the leap I had hoped for. He’s plenty good, but not taking over games yet like Ernie did.
I’m just reading through the thread but I KNEW this would be the main take from UVM fans. I figured everyone on here would be clamoring to say “I miss Ernie”... “Ernie, protector of the realm and our savior sent to us by the gods of three point shooting would have led us to victory with Valyrian steel daggers.” No, Ernie would not have had any impact on the game because our offense completely lacked any cohesive ball motion. He would’ve looked his brothers launching bad jumpers with 3 seconds left on the clock because they had no plan for how they were going to score in the first 27 seconds.

Enough with looking for excuses. UVM has dropped two games in a row—neither one was close either—because of ineffective poorly excecuted offense and a total lack of any defensive scheme. At this point we need to start thinking about blaming Becker.

Smith‘s problem is not that he “hasn't taken a leap,” it’s that he has regressed. His shot selection and (in)decisiveness are awful. He should be benched. You can bring Patella in and shift Robing and Ev over.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I’m just reading through the thread but I KNEW this would be the main take from UVM fans. I figured everyone on here would be clamoring to say “I miss Ernie”... “Ernie, protector of the realm and our savior sent to us by the gods of three point shooting would have led us to victory with Valyrian steel daggers.” No, Ernie would not have had any impact on the game because our offense completely lacked any cohesive ball motion. He would’ve looked his brothers launching bad jumpers with 3 seconds left on the clock because they had no plan for how they were going to score in the first 27 seconds.

Enough with looking for excuses. UVM has dropped two games in a row—neither one was close either—because of ineffective poorly excecuted offense and a total lack of any defensive scheme. At this point we need to start thinking about blaming Becker.

Smith‘s problem is not that he “hasn't taken a leap,” it’s that he has regressed. His shot selection and (in)decisiveness are awful. He should be benched. You can bring Patella in and shift Robing and Ev over.
No argument the team has been terrible and lack cohesion on any level. It's on the players and staff and if they don't get it fixed, well, say hi to a semifinal exit in the AE tourney. However, acting like Ernie doesn't make a difference is foolish. Having a guy of his caliber out there would have caused some of those bad shots to not happen because he's taking them (and the percentages say he'd have made a good clip of them), and your star player it was very clear knew to defer to Ernie as a scorer as well. That helped everyone get freed up and be able to work at their best as a unit which led to the team playing the basketball we've come to expect from them. Lose a playmaker you got others are trying to fill the void and can't (Smith), and the rest who clearly are trying to establish themselves on one end of the floor and not getting any results. Didn't happen last year because there was a lot more definition on what this team is. There is no excuse from players to coaches for not having this figured out or knowing they're super easy to game plan for now, but to act like not having Ernie out there makes no difference based on the way others are playing to fill the void he caused, come on.

·
Premium Member
32,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I think a lot of people are trying to point to one reason the offense has been such a mess, but it's likely a combination of multiple factors. Collective poor shot selection, Lamb falling in love a little too much with the 3, coaching miscues, loss of Ernie, etc Is Ernie missed? Sure, his absence is basically the difference between a team having an elite-level shooter and not having one, which is what we're witnessing now.

*I think up until last night, Stef has played pretty solid. He had a slow start but he's far and away the best 3pt shooter right now and doing what I expect him to do production-wise. What I don't expect is a game like the one he had against Yale, this team cannot afford nights like that from Stef.

*Shungu is missed probably more than people thought/realize.

*I know at one point a lot of fans thought Everett might become a Kurt Steidl-type player. It's pretty obvious that's not going to occur, and maybe he's not really a 47% 3pt shooter as a SO but 24% ain't going to cut it from a senior starter that Becker is committed to play 30+mpg. You guys watch the games, how many times have Stef and Anthony drawn defenders and kicked it out to Ev for a wide open 3 he's been unable to cash? Lots and lots of times. 40% 3pt shooting may be unrealistic, but 35% needs to happen or we're in some trouble.

*R. Duncan- there's a lot of intangibles and pluses he brings to the table, he's great at getting to the rim but his complete inability to shoot from the perimeter or even take a shot confidently or be a scoring threat is really hurting us given the minutes he's playing and making defensive life super easy for other teams. The tendency to dribble around and run down the shot clock is frustrating as well.

*Deloney/Demuth- it seems like the staff is committed to wanting these players in the rotation and I'm all for it, but real talk they are going to need to shoot the ball better to justify more playing time and start making some stuff happen.

*Powell red shirt. There has always been something amiss here, I think these last couple of games it underscores how much we really miss his ability to hit from 15ft/16ft in and also be able to put the ball on the floor and drive from the perimeter. I went from expecting him to have a big growth season and be a key part of the lineup and or key 6th man but now he's just not playing. He flirted with a triple-double his last exhibition game, then ooops JK he's not playing this season. This current roster certainly could use his skill set.

*Davis has improved his offensive game a bit and transformed his body, but he needs to play stronger/tougher and focus more on catching the ball/have better hands. When he gets pulled to the perimeter defensively unfortunately that' kinda a nightmare, just doesn't have the foot speed.

Finally, the most simplistic, but Becker can't shoot the ball for all of these guys too. The players are going to have to get better/ get focused, man up and hit some shots. I said it all last summer, we need a knock down 3pt shooter so if people want to blame Becker for that, or putting together a roster with "meh" shooters, then that's fair game. I feel like these current guys are capable of being better, but maybe they're not. Will see.

·
Premium Member
32,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
And the fact that I am noticing and missing Powell's shot making ability shows just how bad the team is struggling shooting the ball.

·
Premium Member
32,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
UVM now 334 out of 350 in 3pt FG%. Legit one of the worst shooting teams in the country right now.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
UVM now 334 out of 350 in 3pt FG%. Legit one of the worst shooting teams in the country right now.
I think a big part of this issue is poor shot selection. As much as we all love him, a lot of this falls on Lamb. Everyone, himself included, expects him to carry the team. That's just not UVM basketball. One guy is not our offense. They've got to get back to moving the ball, getting a piece of the paint and kicking for open looks. That has not been happening.

Regarding the twitter quote, I have no problem with Becker calling the team out. In the press conference, he took ownership for the coaching staff needing to be better. There is blame for everyone. I have no idea who responded to the tweet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Anthony's mom. She sat courtside at the Mohegan Sun tourney, pretty much everyone in the lower bowl of the arena could clearly hear her opinion on things, in less than polite terms.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,256 Posts
Shot selection has played a big role in why the shooting percentages are so bad. Stagnant offense, forced shots are depressing our shooting % at this point. Too many jump shots not enough post offense. Basically we are shooting a low percentage because the players are taking low percentage shots. That is not going to change until the offensive focus changes. Move the ball, move yourselves when you don't have the ball, and take open shots. Nothing else really needs to be said at this point. Either the team will do the things necessary to win or it won't.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,256 Posts
I think a big part of this issue is poor shot selection. As much as we all love him, a lot of this falls on Lamb. Everyone, himself included, expects him to carry the team. That's just not UVM basketball. One guy is not our offense. They've got to get back to moving the ball, getting a piece of the paint and kicking for open looks. That has not been happening.

Regarding the twitter quote, I have no problem with Becker calling the team out. In the press conference, he took ownership for the coaching staff needing to be better. There is blame for everyone. I have no idea who responded to the tweet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Anthony's mom. She sat courtside at the Mohegan Sun tourney, pretty much everyone in the lower bowl of the arena could clearly hear her opinion on things, in less than polite terms.
Jinx

·
Registered
13,728 Posts
This is why all summer I hammered repeatedly the refrain that Ernies loss would be a big deal. Still plenty of time to prove me wrong but this is a serious problem right now for UVM. Many told me that it's no big deal, it's an issue that would be filled by committee...you don't just replace that shooting.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,256 Posts
This is why all summer I hammered repeatedly the refrain that Ernies loss would be a big deal. Still plenty of time to prove me wrong but this is a serious problem right now for UVM. Many told me that it's no big deal, it's an issue that would be filled by committee...you don't just replace that shooting.
To my eyes it's the loss of his leadership that really stands out. We miss that steady presence. Some 3's wouldn't be bad either.....

·
Registered
13,728 Posts

LOL!

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
It took me like a day to read through this thread because frankly after the game yesterday I just wasn't feelin' it. I'm not going to add a lot; we were bad, everyone has their opinions as to why. I think some of them are right, I'm not sure about some others, but it doesn't really matter at this point we've really pored over them all.

I want to talk about Lamb/3-point shooting, but from a different angle. Maybe he's been doing it the whole time, but I only noticed it more often this year, but mechanically...is he taking more 3's with that little kick-out front-foot move? Not really a fade-away, but the right(?) foot kinda goes up and out as he jumps to shoot? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like a) that's more prevalent this year, and more importantly b) his percentage on those specific 3-pointers (as opposed to when he's a little more sure-footed or square) is brutal. Is this a thing, or no?

·
Extra Spicy Takes
3,510 Posts
It took me like a day to read through this thread because frankly after the game yesterday I just wasn't feelin' it. I'm not going to add a lot; we were bad, everyone has their opinions as to why. I think some of them are right, I'm not sure about some others, but it doesn't really matter at this point we've really pored over them all.

I want to talk about Lamb/3-point shooting, but from a different angle. Maybe he's been doing it the whole time, but I only noticed it more often this year, but mechanically...is he taking more 3's with that little kick-out front-foot move? Not really a fade-away, but the right(?) foot kinda goes up and out as he jumps to shoot? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like a) that's more prevalent this year, and more importantly b) his percentage on those specific 3-pointers (as opposed to when he's a little more sure-footed or square) is brutal. Is this a thing, or no?
I think he's just simply taking more clearly contested 3s instead of waiting for a better shot.

·
Registered
392 Posts

I’m not sure what Valyrian steel daggers are, but I was thinking of something way more realistic. Like we dress him in Kevin Garrison’s uniform and have him wear one of those luchador wrestling masks. America East refs will be so busy making terrible hand check calls that they won’t even notice that “Kevin” is playing in a mask.

·
Premium Member
32,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Honestly, I'm a little surprised at the knee jerk reactionary takes that some of this is "on Lamb". You can't call him a super star and hero when he's scoring 40pts or shooting 7-11 from 3 and then go the other way when he shoots 2-12, which will happen. I mean, how many nights did TJ Sorrentine shoot 2-14 or 5-18 or whatever? Enough. Look at Taylor Coppenrath's NCAA Tournament FG% totals. Did people not want him taking as many shots against the toughest teams? I don't think so.

Lamb is probably one of the least selfish stars UVM has ever had, arguably maybe the least selfish. It's his senior year, and newsflash there is no Trae Bell Haynes, Ernie Duncan, Drew Urquhart, and Payton Henson playing alongside him. Next closest thing is Stef Smith. The make-up of this team needs/requires Lamb to put up 15fg-20fg to win. It's not that I don't think we have the talent, we do- but Lamb needs his teammates to step up and start making some shots, I'm not asking anyone to score 20pts, just make layups, hit an open 3, try driving to the hoop, etc.

The narrative that "we're missing b/c we're just taking bad shots" doesn't necessarily fly. We're taking some good shots, but good shooters are missing wide open 3s and we're missing layups- how do you reconcile that? We took a bunch of great shots to start the game yesterday but NOBODY COULD MAKE A SHOT until Lamb drilled a 3, finally.

Again, once his teammates start playing ball, Lamb won't feel like he has to do it all and shot making will become contagious.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Never thought I'd miss Lonergan's quick hook, but I felt that Becker let things go on too long before trying to change game plan, personnel, etc. We were down 10-0 before even a time-out was called. Coaching seemed a bit passive and reactive (obviously unsuccessfully). I don't claim any expertise, but is this a valid criticism?

101 - 120 of 137 Posts