Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Seven games into the season and still no Shungu. It sounds like more than a hamstring pull to me. I wonder if he will take a medical red shirt. After this long he probably needs some conditioning time at least.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Seven games into the season and still no Shungu. It sounds like more than a hamstring pull to me. I wonder if he will take a medical red shirt. After this long he probably needs some conditioning time at least.
Re: medical redshirt, if his circumstance was serious enough that he had to sit for the remainder of the year, he would have to apply for a "6th year" waiver because he already redshirted as a true freshman. Sometimes granted, sometimes not. No guarantees.

Hopefully it's nowhere that serious. Hamstrings can just be a nag.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Reality check. Over the summer, the addition of two big major-conference transfers and the best player in Oregon plus the maturation of last season's young guys seemed as if they could produce a season for the ages for the Cats. I'll admit I got carried away thinking that Vermont might flirt with 30 wins and get a high seed for a mid-major, producing a winnable first round game in March. That's not realistic. A season comparable to last year's is still a possibility, but isn't guaranteed. The Cats are playing for an AE title this year and perhaps a 14 seed - nothing more. And adjusting my expectations accordingly should make the season a lot more enjoyable to follow.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yeah, Shungu is not going to get a medical redshirt. Even if hadn't taken an RS year yet, there's never a situation where a coach can go "Gee, well I guess now that Benny's been out for 6 games it's better we sit him for the rest of the year and apply for a medical redshirt so we can extend his eligibility out to 2022." The intent of medical RS is not to allow such flexibility.

NCAA does their research when granting these type of exemptions and if there's any evidence an "injured" player wasn't playing not because of his injury, but because the coach was trying to milk a fifth year of eligibility that exemption will be promptly denied. You don't have a choice; either a kid's healthy and can play, or he has a really, really bad injury and is out of >70% of the games then you can apply for the medical RS.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
If you listened to Becker's press conference, he said that when Benny comes back is up to him. That means that he's been cleared by the medical staff. Soooo, hopefully he decides to come back soon. I'm neither a physician nor a psychologist, so I have no particular insight into what may be holding him back.

·
Premium Member
32,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
If you listened to Becker's press conference, he said that when Benny comes back is up to him. That means that he's been cleared by the medical staff. Soooo, hopefully he decides to come back soon. I'm neither a physician nor a psychologist, so I have no particular insight into what may be holding him back.
Yeah, I paid close attention to that injury update and wording as well. Something didn't sound quite right there as well.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,250 Posts
Honestly, I'm a little surprised at the knee jerk reactionary takes that some of this is "on Lamb". You can't call him a super star and hero when he's scoring 40pts or shooting 7-11 from 3 and then go the other way when he shoots 2-12, which will happen. I mean, how many nights did TJ Sorrentine shoot 2-14 or 5-18 or whatever? Enough. Look at Taylor Coppenrath's NCAA Tournament FG% totals. Did people not want him taking as many shots against the toughest teams? I don't think so.

Lamb is probably one of the least selfish stars UVM has ever had, arguably maybe the least selfish. It's his senior year, and newsflash there is no Trae Bell Haynes, Ernie Duncan, Drew Urquhart, and Payton Henson playing alongside him. Next closest thing is Stef Smith. The make-up of this team needs/requires Lamb to put up 15fg-20fg to win. It's not that I don't think we have the talent, we do- but Lamb needs his teammates to step up and start making some shots, I'm not asking anyone to score 20pts, just make layups, hit an open 3, try driving to the hoop, etc.

The narrative that "we're missing b/c we're just taking bad shots" doesn't necessarily fly. We're taking some good shots, but good shooters are missing wide open 3s and we're missing layups- how do you reconcile that? We took a bunch of great shots to start the game yesterday but NOBODY COULD MAKE A SHOT until Lamb drilled a 3, finally.

Again, once his teammates start playing ball, Lamb won't feel like he has to do it all and shot making will become contagious.
It's not about how many shots, it's about what kind of shots he's taking. He's taking too many 3's and he isn't getting to the FT line. There are 0 situations where he should be taking more 3's in a game than twos. Hell he shouldn't be taking more 3's than FT's either. He's settling for jump shots. The whole team has settled for jump shots way too many times. They are not getting the ball into the post enough. That isn't just Anthony who isn't getting enough. Davis doesn't get it in the post enough either. Yes the supporting cast needs to play better. They need to be more aggressive getting to the line. That helps mitigate bad shooting nights.

·
Registered
733 Posts
And the fact that I am noticing and missing Powell's shot making ability shows just how bad the team is struggling shooting the ball.
The whole Powell/Beckett/DeMuth/Patella quartet is a bit perplexing. There has to be stuff going on behind the scenes. Based on playing time last year, and what I saw in the exhibitions, Powell was clearly the best of the lot at this point, and looked like he would contribute this year for a team with a great shot to win the AE. I liked Beckett in the limited play in exhibitions, then he didn’t play in the first several games, so looked like a prime red shirt candidate, then he plays in garbage time a few games, and now he’s in the rotation, primarily because DeMuth is not playing well. We all love Patella, but he’s a role player period, and should be giving us 5-10 minutes max. All in all, we are not getting much from what should be our subs for Everett and when we need a smaller lineup out there.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I watched the Yale replay and Yale allowed very little setup time for shooters. This was a big game for Yale and they played like it meant something to them. I'm not so sure that UVM was as fully engaged.

·
Premium Member
32,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
The whole team has settled for jump shots way too many times. They are not getting the ball into the post enough. That isn't just Anthony who isn't getting enough. Davis doesn't get it in the post enough either. Yes the supporting cast needs to play better. They need to be more aggressive getting to the line. That helps mitigate bad shooting nights.
Would be great to be able to go in the post more, but Lamb is drawing double and triple teams each time he catches it there and Davis seems semi-comfortable in the post and Giddens can play in the post, but now he's hurt but even though not the most offensively skilled player. Powell could have played in the post but now he's red shirting.

Do we have anyone else on the roster that can even play in the post, or play back to the basket? That's a grand total of 3 (now two at the moment) players.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,250 Posts
If he's doubled then someone is open. Now that someone has to be able to make an open shot I grant you. Regardless the ball should be touching the paint before a 3 ever gets hoisted.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,250 Posts
I'll be looking for ball movement and player movement first and foremost. It could get ugly if Stef is out. Might need to play Ev at the two and slide Bailey or Beckett in beside him. Maybe Ben will surprise us and give it a go tonight. Either way I don't expect it to be pretty tonight. We haven't played tough for a while now. This is the wrong team to play soft against.

·
Premium Member
32,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Clearly, the staff is expecting more from Demuth. I'm not writing him off obviously as far too soon, but thus far he's looking more like Dylan Sinnickson then Payton Henson. All this team needs is something in the middle production-wise.

·
Premium Member
32,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
I'll be looking for ball movement and player movement first and foremost. It could get ugly if Stef is out. Might need to play Ev at the two and slide Bailey or Beckett in beside him. Maybe Ben will surprise us and give it a go tonight. Either way I don't expect it to be pretty tonight. We haven't played tough for a while now. This is the wrong team to play soft against.
Agreed, unfortunately worse possible opponent to look to get back on track against.

·
Registered
113 Posts
IMHO, the high screens have been poor with players fading from contact and peeling off too soon. There are quite a few fouls to give among the 15 minute guys so I would encourage them to stick the screens and take the fouls if they come. Lamb is often double teamed at the top of the key which does not offer good angles to hit cutters. He is then forced to distribute to the three point line - not the teams strength. I'd figure out how to get him doubled at the foul line elbows so he can hit baseline cutters and weak side cutters. And be ready to hit the offensive boards.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts