Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

181 - 200 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
So much projecting about the frustrations surrounding shutdowns...

Anyway, good luck Michael! I don't listen to nearly as much UVM hockey on radio as I used to (and kind of pine for the days of Jack Healey on the mic), but I thought Lehr settled in quickly and did a nice job. He brought a little more of a pulse to the broadcast than his predecessor, and assuming the AHL comes out the other side of this pandemic in one piece, that's a great opportunity to call hockey full-time. Wasn't bad on the men's hoops ESPN3 broadcasts, either.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
So much projecting about the frustrations surrounding shutdowns...

Anyway, good luck Michael! I don't listen to nearly as much UVM hockey on radio as I used to (and kind of pine for the days of Jack Healey on the mic), but I thought Lehr settled in quickly and did a nice job. He brought a little more of a pulse to the broadcast than his predecessor, and assuming the AHL comes out the other side of this pandemic in one piece, that's a great opportunity to call hockey full-time. Wasn't bad on the men's hoops ESPN3 broadcasts, either.
Acting as though it was because "the shutdowns have consequences" is the projection of projections.

It's also like, a promotion for the guy. AHL hockey > NCAA hockey. These broadcasters are part of the Learfield deal, so the station is no longer on the hook for paying them (hence no Jack Healey or George Commos anymore), and they're all young and trying to be upwardly-mobile in the profession and as you said, find something that pays them full time and not by the game. This should be pretty clear based on the revolving door of men's basketball radio guys in recent years, but then again...look who we're dealing with.

·
Comrade Fox
2,054 Posts
We've got a goalie commit! '03 born Axel Mangbo, a Swede playing for the Rögle U18 program over there. I'd imagine him being here 2022 at the absolute earliest (which makes me think you try and work the portal for next season).

Would be UVM men's hockey's first European goalie ever, I believe. The women have had one in current team member Blanka Skodova.

http://instagr.am/p/CK0z8shgIPm/

·
Comrade Fox
2,054 Posts
Also, I've taken another gander at the Heisenberg recruiting list, more Sneddon era guys are crossed out...

The only ones that appear to still be currently committed are Jack Kurrle, Dylan Finlay, Ronan Walsh, Eli Barnett, Joe Calvarino, and Mario Gasparini

·
Comrade Fox
2,054 Posts
Very interesting commit tweeted by NBC5's Marshall Kramsky earlier - Kazakhstan U20 international Andrei Buyalsky, currently at Dubuque in the USHL.

What's interesting...a) he might be the first Kazakh born and trained player to play D1 college (that bit's unconfirmed but I'm pretty sure that's the case), and b) he's played in the Kazakh league and the VHL (tier 2 Russia), which raises my eyebrow some. I assume the coaching staff did their homework re: eligibility, but it's very curious.

6'3, 2000-born, seems to be a bit more of a playmaker type.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Must. Resist. Borat. Quotes.

If he's playing in the USHL I imagine he has to be fine since that league's entire purpose is to send guy through the college system.

·
Premium Member
33,641 Posts
VERY NICE!!!!!

#1 ranked player in all of Kazakhstan. Other players include: mule and sister.

·
Comrade Fox
2,054 Posts
Also since he's 20 right now he'll have to come in next year, I'm pretty sure. UVM has picked up a few of those 20 year olds (Jellus, Schachle, Hudson, Buyalsky, Mountain) over the last few weeks. Think part of that is that a chunk of Sneddon's last guys aren't coming (per the Heisenberg list), and you need bodies esp w/ a ton of seniors graduating.

More fun facts about Buyalsky: he was on that Kazakh World Junior team that did the impossible and stayed up a couple years ago, becoming the darlings of that year's WJC.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Kazakhstan is a fairly sizable country (twice the population of Sweden) with considerable energy reserves (at least compared to the other ex-Soviet "Stans" in that region; per capita GDP is much closer to Central Europe than other countries in that region) and in my understanding has considerable cultural and societal ties to modern-day Russia. It was only a matter of time before they become relevant in international hockey.

Could be a nice long-term talent pipeline if UVM is able to build those connections with Kazakh youth and junior clubs before other schools. Then again, this could be a one-off recruit who's now quite rooted in American junior/college hockey.

·
Comrade Fox
2,054 Posts
Woodcroft with a guest appearance in Elliotte Friedman's 31 Thoughts this week. Also a little blurb about Buyalsky.

Woodcroft makes me feel dumb about hockey and I genuinely actually like that. Guy is definitely a student of the game and knows his stuff.

·
Comrade Fox
2,054 Posts
BU is really good, we're rebuilding and are coming off a month off. 1-0 defeat is not a bad result, IMO.

Side note, women utterly smoked BU at Walter Brown today, 4-0. Jessie McPherson has 3 shutouts in 4 collegiate starts. She good.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Good for Dominique Ducharme. Between his success at the major junior level, and his work with the different Team Canada junior teams, I know he's been pegged as someone who had a future as an NHL head coach. Probably not exactly how he thought he'd end up there, but that must be pretty special to be a Quebecois kid and lead the Montreal Canadians, even if it only ends up being part of a season.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
A couple of those guys might find some D1 homes...but the 3rd string goalie, I'd recommend Castleton pal.

It's not that they didn't have the option to stay, but UVM basically had to tell most of them they couldn't stay because they're not going over this bonus scholarship count...sounds like basketball barring any transfers on their part are going to be the only ones allowed to do it. But...best these seniors and a few other Sneddon holdovers move on. Woodcroft has to get to actually doing the work to rebuild this team, and justing on a few of those lists out there, he might already have a full roster ready with newcomers and the returnees who don't leave ready to go.

181 - 200 of 214 Posts