Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
221 - 240 of 259 Posts

·
Comrade Fox
2,100 Posts
Been quiet on this front lately, but a rumor making the rounds on USCHO is that the vacancy left by Jeff Hill's departure will be filled by RPI assistant Scott Moser. Canisius alum, followed Smith to RPI.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Is that good for a UVM recruiting class?
If they're good, yes. Rounds 1-4 generally means better NHL prospects, and 5-7 is hit or miss, especially in college. But, it's a crapshoot. It's nice for the optics. Having 5-6 picks on the roster next year is better than like 2-3 that they had in the last 5 years of Sneddon. It's really about these players coming in, contributing, helping the team get competitive and getting better so they do go succeed at the next level. NHL is the goal because it'd be nice to bolster the alumni ranks with a few more outside Colton and Miller, but even very good AHL and high-level European league players will lead to a higher caliber of player considering UVM...but hey, the best player in school history was undrafted and he became an NHL hall of famer.

Been quiet on this front lately, but a rumor making the rounds on USCHO is that the vacancy left by Jeff Hill's departure will be filled by RPI assistant Scott Moser. Canisius alum, followed Smith to RPI.
If you read what's been said on that USCHO forum about some of the added job responsibilities they made hockey coaches take on during the pandemic (having to administer the tests to players/also getting furloughed), I don't blame him for deciding to make the move. The volunteer spot will be interesting if they look to double it with goalie coaching...underrated reason UVM has always had good goalies even with terrible teams is they've had a dedicated goalie coach or a coach who specializes in goalies for years (Terry Lovelette, and Hill)

·
Registered
4,209 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I think my favorite thing about the author of that New England Hockey Journal piece is what is maybe a how it started how it's going meme in two tweets:

This is what he wrote after the Woodcroft hire:
This is what he wrote 3 days ago:
The guy who at the time he was pumping for the job ended up with the Maine job, so we'll see. I am not expecting miracles overnight with UVM, but in the small and palm greasing world of college hockey reporting and coverage, it does sound like people are impressed with what the new staff has been able to do on the recruiting trail thus far.

·
Comrade Fox
2,100 Posts
Congrats to incoming recruit Cole Hudson, as his Shreveport Mudbugs won this year's NAHL Robertson Cup. Hudson went a perfect 9-0 in the playoffs with a 1.54 GAA and .941 SV%, and was named playoff MVP!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Home games up for men's and women's hockey on the Campus Rec master schedule pages. Looks like no Catamount Cup this year...and more just one-off games?

Men:

10/2 vs. McGill
10/8 & 10/9 vs. Colgate
10/6 vs. Quinnipiac
10/23 vs. RPI
10/29 & 10/30 vs. Boston College
11/19 & 11/20 vs. Providence
12/10 & 12/11 vs. Lowell
1/14 & 1/15 vs. Northeastern
1/28 & 1/29 vs. Alaska Fairbanks
2/11 vs. UNH
2/13 vs. Merrimack
2/25 & 2/26 vs. UMass

Women:
10/1 & 10/2 vs. RPI
10/9 & 10/10 vs. Colgate
10/22 vs. Holy Cross
10/24 vs. Merrimack
11/12 & 11/13 vs. Northeastern
11/26 & 11/27 vs. Syracuse
12/10 vs. Boston College
1/2 vs. Maine
1/7 & 1/8 vs. UConn
1/21 & 1/22 vs. Providence
1/30 vs. UNH
2/11 & 2/12 vs. BU

This is the link (or just go to facility schedules, Gutterson, master schedule and then by monthly view head to Ocotber): EMS Web App Error

·
Comrade Fox
2,100 Posts
MTL/TB in the Stanley Cup means we're guaranteed a UVM alum as champion! Dominique Ducharme as Montreal's interim HC (they're almost certainly going to remove that tag; even though they were mediocre at best in the regular season, the playoffs are literally all that matters, ever), and Ross Colton as a player for Tampa Bay.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Ross Colton scored the series-winning goal for the Lightning last night, to win the Stanley Cup.

Good for him. The smartest decision he made was forgoing his last two years to skate around in the AHL and develop instead of sticking around where he got no help at UVM and its dumpster fire. I honestly don't even know if he'd have made it if he had. That, and he only played 30 regular-season games with the Lightning after being a mid-season call-up, and between that and 23 playoff games he had 13 goals and 5 assists. I'd say he cemented his spot as a regular for the Stanley Cup champs next year.

·
Super Moderator
6,535 Posts
Ross Colton scored the series-winning goal for the Lightning last night, to win the Stanley Cup.

Good for him. The smartest decision he made was forgoing his last two years to skate around in the AHL and develop instead of sticking around where he got no help at UVM and its dumpster fire. I honestly don't even know if he'd have made it if he had. That, and he only played 30 regular-season games with the Lightning after being a mid-season call-up, and between that and 23 playoff games he had 13 goals and 5 assists. I'd say he cemented his spot as a regular for the Stanley Cup champs next year.
My Lightning (shaving that beard this morning!) are in salary cap hell, so some decisions will have to be made.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
My Lightning (shaving that beard this morning!) are in salary cap hell, so some decisions will have to be made.
Sure. Lots of bad no-movement clauses on that roster. Gotta figure out the Brayden Point situation too. Not to get too into the cap details, but I'd go out on a limb and say the cost-controlled rookie like Colton who made $700k pro-rated and is an RFA is more likely to get some sort of team-friendly deal offered likely no more than $2 mil a season and stick around because Tampa is going to have to shed other guys making more off in trades to get their cap under control and they at least know he can compete for them.

·
Comrade Fox
2,100 Posts
Never thought when I interviewed Colton for the Cynic (for a piece about the men's hockey incoming class that season) that he'd be scoring a Cup-winning goal within five years, but it's cool to be able to say that lol

life comes at you fast

·
Comrade Fox
2,100 Posts
Corey Pronman did a full NHL mock draft for The Athletic this week. He has Buyalsky going 159 to Buffalo, and Dovar Tinling going 209 to Carolina. Also has Cal Thomas, projected to come in in 2022, going to Boston at 149.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Cal Thomas goes 171 to Arizona. If I'm counting right UVM and UMass have the most picks in HE thus far, and we still have Tinling on the board.
Doesn't look like Tinling got picked so that's a bummer. Woodcroft did media time after the draft, I saw it on UVM's twitter...I guess he thought Tinling, Vitolins and Tarkiainen would get picked too. He mentioned Tinling and Vitolins getting drafted next year...which I trust he's right but I do wonder something about the rules, which state:

"All players who will be 18 years old on or before September 15 and not older than 19 years old before December 31 of the draft year are eligible for selection for that year's NHL Entry Draft. In addition, non-North American players over the age of 20 are eligible."

Tinling will turn 19 in March 2022, so he will still be eligible. Vitolins turns 20 in January 2022, while Tarkiainen turns 20 in October 2021. So with the other two, since they're non-North American players would they still be eligible even though they passed the deadline of being older than 19 before December 2022? I guess it's a matter of what qualifies as non-North American and is it by nationality or by the country they're playing in? Buyalsky is turning 21 next month, and he was able to get drafted. He's non-North American, but played in North American hockey this year.

·
Comrade Fox
2,100 Posts
Not related to UVM, but a curious case in hockey: Austen Swankler will be headed to Bowling Green next season. He'd played a full season with the OHL's Erie Otters, which normally bars him from playing college hockey, however apparently he was cleared by the NCAA.

It wouldn't be the first time the NCAA errored on this (Brayden Gelsinger played 12 games for WHL Kamloops then spent four years at Lake Superior State), but still. interesting.

·
Super Moderator
6,535 Posts
If they redshirt him this upcoming year, that’ll be two years out of major junior. Of course, who knows if that whole rule may change with the recent changes in college sports.

·
Comrade Fox
2,100 Posts
Some alumni news spotted today: Nick Luukko ('15) has been named head coach & Director of Hockey Ops of the ECHL's Jacksonville IceMen.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Some alumni news spotted today: Nick Luukko ('15) has been named head coach & Director of Hockey Ops of the ECHL's Jacksonville IceMen.
And former netminder Andrew Allen ('01) has been named Goaltending Coach for the NHL's newly-expanded Seattle Kraken.

221 - 240 of 259 Posts