Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
261 - 263 of 263 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,793 Posts
So with the new Hockey coach, is it supposed to be Year 3 when the team might no longer be terrible? Year 5? Just want to know what’s reasonable to expect when it’s supposed to be relevant again, as a semi-interested, casual bandwagon type fan.

Don’t know anything about the new coach good or bad, other then taking over the program at the outset of COVID certainly less than ideal to build up success.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
You're going to have to wait a few more years. The program was left in really bad shape. Last year was meaningless as most of the roster was holdovers from the previous coaching staff, and there was Covid stoppages. This is no UMass rebuild to a national title. UVM doesn't have a Cale Makar walking through the door.

To be as brief as possible:

- 14 new players this year (10 freshmen, 4 transfers) + returnees who save for like 4, aren't very good. Transfers have been among the best players. A couple of freshmen have been promising. One has been hurt, unfortunately. This leads to not good hockey to watch and losing to fellow terrible teams like Holy Cross.

- Next year up to 12 freshmen alone could come...so that's a total roster turnover (22 freshman/sophomores on a roster usually of 25-28) not counting transfer adds within 2 years. You should expect them to be better, but by how much I don't know.

- That being said, 2024 or 2025 it's reasonable to expect a return to relevance. That of course means competing for the top 5 and not stinking up the joint. Maybe they go on a Garden run in the playoffs, best case snags an NCAA bid. They can do all those things without winning the league.

- If UVM can't make it happen by then, I'm not sure they ever will be able to. There should be an extremely high motivation to do so, because hockey still drives the bus on casual attention, interest, and money being forked over than basketball.

·
Comrade Fox
2,120 Posts
You're going to have to wait a few more years. The program was left in really bad shape. Last year was meaningless as most of the roster was holdovers from the previous coaching staff, and there was Covid stoppages. This is no UMass rebuild to a national title. UVM doesn't have a Cale Makar walking through the door.

To be as brief as possible:

- 14 new players this year (10 freshmen, 4 transfers) + returnees who save for like 4, aren't very good. Transfers have been among the best players. A couple of freshmen have been promising. One has been hurt, unfortunately. This leads to not good hockey to watch and losing to fellow terrible teams like Holy Cross.

- Next year up to 12 freshmen alone could come...so that's a total roster turnover (22 freshman/sophomores on a roster usually of 25-28) not counting transfer adds within 2 years. You should expect them to be better, but by how much I don't know.

- That being said, 2024 or 2025 it's reasonable to expect a return to relevance. That of course means competing for the top 5 and not stinking up the joint. Maybe they go on a Garden run in the playoffs, best case snags an NCAA bid. They can do all those things without winning the league.

- If UVM can't make it happen by then, I'm not sure they ever will be able to. There should be an extremely high motivation to do so, because hockey still drives the bus on casual attention, interest, and money being forked over than basketball.
This has been my thought process. It is going to take a while to fix this.

Recruiting was already struggling and only got worse after Wallack (who I thought had a decent eye for talent) was jettisoned. I feel like they were looking in a lot of the wrong places. In NE/NY you don't have the Beanpot pull, or a strong historic tradition, or Ivy academics, or shiny new facilities, or recent relevance, so you end up basically scraping for guys that would normally end up at like Holy Cross or Sacred Heart. And the previous regime almost seemed to ignore Quebec and Europe altogether, two hotspots for talent that nearby Clarkson has milked the hell out of - and, perhaps more notably, the women's team at UVM, which is currently third in Hockey East; 7 of their top 10 scorers come from either Europe or Quebec.

This was never going to change overnight, we knew this going in. Buyalsky being hurt hasn't helped as I really liked his game in the early goings.

261 - 263 of 263 Posts