Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
301 - 303 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
All good points, and I get it. But if college hockey is truly interested in growing the sport a bit, they need to be more creative in their scheduling. It’s not just a UVM issue. And again, hockey in early Oct, especially league games, is not good.
I'm not necessarily convinced college hockey (meaning the collection of conferences and its members) is truly interested in growing the sport. Adding a few more programs if they can get the money and stay afloat for more numbers? Sure...but doing things to enhance the fan experience and create some intrigue? No, not really. Most schools playing college hockey are not in a financial position or have the brand recognition that the important "growers" want and those are corporate sponsors and TV broadcasters. Even the Big 10 treats its own hockey product badly and they have their own channel.

Hockey East scored a nice rights deal for their standards with ESPN, but it's akin to a low major basketball TV/streaming deal as only 3 games are going to actually be on cable in a national broadcast on ESPNU, the rest of ESPN+ along with the regional NESN broadcasts (which are nice but aren't moving anything forward). NCHC gets 11 games on CBS Sports Network, and the Big 10 mostly relegates its hockey broadcasts to BTN/BTN+. ECAC doesn't get on TV at all (ESPN+ deal), and AHA is using FloSports.

But, to get something akin to college basketball holiday tournaments it would take a lot of convincing for a sponsor, a venue that you'd sell tickets to (there is yet to be an event that proves this), and a broadcaster nationally willing to show it. College hockey is niche. It could be better and more fun, I totally agree but creative scheduling as you may see it is a money loser for athletic departments, a majority of which now are going to look to be a bit more cost-contained given they can't go out and make money on their product through things like TV or other rights fees.

·
Comrade Fox
2,151 Posts
Some notes from the past few days:

-Looks like UVM will have 4 at the upcoming World Juniors. Sophomores Joel Määttä and Luca Münzenberger with Finland and Germany, incoming freshman Ralfs Bergmanis with Latvia (he's even captain!), and recruit Maxim Štrbák with Slovakia.

-Recruit Charlie Kinsman is wrapping things up at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, a prestigious U18 tournament. He had 1 assist in 3 group games as the US finished third in their group, and they'll play Slovakia in the 5th place game.

-Andrew Lucas has transferred to UConn. The rumors of baggage do appear to be true but I can't confirm any details beyond "administrative issue," which could mean anything.

301 - 303 of 303 Posts