Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Tonight, UVM blew a 2 goal lead over Merrimack after 2 periods, giving up the tying goal with 10 seconds left in the 3rd period. Then, lost in OT, 4-3

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I was selling counterfeit 50/50 tickets at the basketball game tonight to raise money for Sneddon's contract extension.

Four! More! Years! Four! More! Years!

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

Well now the "people have no idea" and "these people have never coached in their lives" takes are coming from Sneddon. Kevin, I don't think you need to be a coach at all to know if you haven't won a single league game in nearly a year, there's a problem and it starts with you. It is not that complex. Also it totally does bother him and he totally does read it. I have that on very good authority.

Prediction: he's starting this now and is going to try and make it as messy as possible by taking shots on the way out so he can save face and try and get some sympathy because he was dealing with a "tough situtation" and "toxic fan base" while then trying to place some blame on the administration too.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Juicy rumor on campus is Martin St. Louis is interested in coaching. His Son is 16 and in prep school. Just a rumor. If UVM could convince him to return as coach and possibly coach his son how cool would that be. I’ve heard this from several people but it’s only a rumor. Just a straight up rumor.

·
Comrade Fox
1,885 Posts
Also it totally does bother him and he totally does read it. I have that on very good authority.

Prediction: he's starting this now and is going to try and make it as messy as possible by taking shots on the way out so he can save face and try and get some sympathy because he was dealing with a "tough situtation" and "toxic fan base" while then trying to place some blame on the administration too.
I mean the dude called me out (without naming names but you could tell it was me) during a presser in like 2017 lol. This entire thing's a mess, season can't end soon enough

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Juicy rumor on campus is Martin St. Louis is interested in coaching. His Son is 16 and in prep school. Just a rumor. If UVM could convince him to return as coach and possibly coach his son how cool would that be. I’ve heard this from several people but it’s only a rumor. Just a straight up rumor.
St Louis is somebody fans would get behind in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I mean the dude called me out (without naming names but you could tell it was me) during a presser in like 2017 lol. This entire thing's a mess, season can't end soon enough
He acts tough (and works out his upper body so he looks tough) but he's super sensitive. Him saying he handles criticism well is a joke. I know of at least 2 people he's blackballed and not spoken to because they dared question the direction he was taking the program 4-5 years ago...not to mention he's sicced lackeys on people on forums and twitter.

Martin St. Louis coaching sounds like a pipedream. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Obviously this is going to be a process but the one thing I hope Schulman does in this search is to surround himself with smart people who know what they need to find and don't select a Chris Day type who told them everything they wanted to hear just to get the job and then turned into a disaster and set the program back further. Really, please just make sure your bullshit detectors are on during the interviews. This is his legacy so don't mess up. Tick tock.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Obviously this is going to be a process but the one thing I hope Schulman does in this search is to surround himself with smart people who know what they need to find and don't select a Chris Day type who told them everything they wanted to hear just to get the job and then turned into a disaster and set the program back further. Really, please just make sure your bullshit detectors are on during the interviews. This is his legacy so don't mess up. Tick tock.
Schulman has been involved in college hokey for 30 years, as a player, in the ECAC office, as asst AD with hockey as his primary sport, and now AD; so he has the pedigree and contacts. He better not screw this one up.

Mixed bag on his big hires so far. Seemed to hit on the men’s soccer and lacrosse coaches, big miss on Day, and TBD with Kresge (though she was really the only option after the Day disaster).

·
Registered
345 Posts
He also has a younger son who I believe is 11... I dont see him willing to miss the opportunity to see/coach his kids play.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Schulman has been involved in college hokey for 30 years, as a player, in the ECAC office, as asst AD with hockey as his primary sport, and now AD; so he has the pedigree and contacts. He better not screw this one up.

Mixed bag on his big hires so far. Seemed to hit on the men’s soccer and lacrosse coaches, big miss on Day, and TBD with Kresge (though she was really the only option after the Day disaster).
Dow was internal for men's soccer and Cormier had a solid foundation for the program. That was a no-brainer. Agree on the lax coaches...men's side now has the burden of expectations being picked first. Let's see what happens.

Like I said, I hope he understands his search committee has to get it right and you don't stack it with yes people professors who are nice people and great athletic supporters, but don't have a clue. As much experience as you state from him...I am concerned about backing himself into a corner with analysis paralysis because his prospective is only what he knows from UVM. A lot on his shoulders but heavy is the head...

·
Registered
574 Posts
I don’t know much about the Day search process and where that may have gone off track, but I’m a big believer in ”less is more” in these types of situations. Put together a small group of people who a) understand the sport, b) have been in leadership positions themselves and c) have successfully chosen leaders in whatever field they are part of.

One problem I see in many institutions (especially in the public sector) is the tendency to overload decision making bodies with too many people and the desire to try to make everyone happy.

·
Premium Member
33,139 Posts
I don’t know anything about hockey, but there’s only 60 D1 hockey programs in the entire country, right? So the universe of actual candidates has to be tiny. Maybe some NHL assistants(?). I really don’t know. Given I’m sure everyone involved in the decision making has known Sneddon is gone since likely end of last year, I would hope a short-list is already compiled.

21 - 40 of 109 Posts