Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I don’t know much about the Day search process and where that may have gone off track, but I’m a big believer in ”less is more” in these types of situations. Put together a small group of people who a) understand the sport, b) have been in leadership positions themselves and c) have successfully chosen leaders in whatever field they are part of.

One problem I see in many institutions (especially in the public sector) is the tendency to overload decision making bodies with too many people and the desire to try to make everyone happy.
The gist of the Day thing was, as I understand it Day "wowed" in the interview and told people everything they wanted to hear, so those who have bad BS detectors didn't see this guy wasn't anything more than that and if you did your homework you'd have seen (and he admitted when he got the job) he was just applying to a bunch of head coaching jobs in hopes he'd get one. That's not the kind of guy I want. It's one thing if someone applies because they think they deserve the opportunity (and I can be more forgiving to college hockey because there's only 60 jobs, not 353 like basketball)...it's another when someone is just trying to get the title on their resume and clearly, clearly didn't do their homework on fit. The committee not only fell for it to make him one of 2 finalists, the other being Eddie Benton, but they also gave too much say to the returning players, who Day conned as well and Eddie was honest with them. Of course, Day proved to be the complete opposite of what he was in the interview, and this is where we're at.

That was a long "gist" but, I agree about the committee part. I know they need a faculty person and whatnot but you've got resources. Torrey Mitchell lives in town. He should be a no brainer to talk to as he's a recent pro/younger and has his pulse on the modern game. The CEO of the Blues is an alum; the owner is a Middlebury grad. One of the biggest agents in the game is a Middlebury guy (Kent Hughes)...the Rangers' director of scouting is from Middlebury. Ask Mike McShane for help consulting. His insight would be immeasurable. These are people Schulman knows and I'm sure he knows to contact them...there's not a lot of excuses to not be as thorough as possible especially giving themselves a head start already on the process.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I don’t know anything about hockey, but there’s only 60 D1 hockey programs in the entire country, right? So the universe of actual candidates has to be tiny. Maybe some NHL assistants(?). I really don’t know. Given I’m sure everyone involved in the decision making has known Sneddon is gone since likely end of last year, I would hope a short-list is already compiled.
They'll get well over 100 applicants for this from the NHL and AHL/ECHL levels, college levels with assistants, sitting college head coaches possibly at D1, definitely at D3, junior hockey coaches in highly regarded Junior A Leagues. You'd hope there's a short list, but they won't be short of options on this. They gave themselves a near 2 month head start on it. No excuses.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Someone I talked to who has a bit of insight at the basketball game last night said the school is still in the exploratory/research on candidates phase but that they are targeting some sitting head coaches at D1 schools though would likely wait for their seasons to be over out of respect for their programs, plus college hockey is a small sport at the D1 level, don't need to go pissing people off. Whether they end of taking one of these head coaches or not is one thing, and you could say the same about assistants waiting somewhat until their seasons are over, but here we are.

And if you want the take with the slightest grain of salt, maybe even split that grain in half take from said person it's that they think UVM could lure away a current Hockey East head coach. I'll give you a hint: he has a connection to a very famous alum and his current job's fans hate him despite him doing quite well this year. Again...I don't buy it for a number of reasons that should be rather obvious, but that's out there.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
And if you want the take with the slightest grain of salt, maybe even split that grain in half take from said person it's that they think UVM could lure away a current Hockey East head coach. I'll give you a hint: he has a connection to a very famous alum and his current job's fans hate him despite him doing quite well this year. Again...I don't buy it for a number of reasons that should be rather obvious, but that's out there.
God I hope you mean Red Gendron. He sucks.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
God I hope you mean Red Gendron. He sucks.
Yeah, don't get your hopes up though. UVM isn't going to hire a 62 year old for a position they more or less give people 15+ years on the job regardless of results. You Maine fans will only be happy when the zombie apocalypse happens and Shawn Walsh comes back from the dead to grunt out motivation and turn everyone into the next Paul Kariya and Scott Pellerin though.

·
Comrade Fox
1,850 Posts
Someone I talked to who has a bit of insight at the basketball game last night said the school is still in the exploratory/research on candidates phase but that they are targeting some sitting head coaches at D1 schools though would likely wait for their seasons to be over out of respect for their programs, plus college hockey is a small sport at the D1 level, don't need to go pissing people off. Whether they end of taking one of these head coaches or not is one thing, and you could say the same about assistants waiting somewhat until their seasons are over, but here we are
I'd put good money on one of those sitting coaches being AIC's Eric Lang, IMO...seen people also speculate on Rick Bennett from Union as well. But that's just me spitballing and making educated guesses.

I've also seen some people dreaming of Marty...yeah, no, not when he has zero HC experience. He'd probably make a decent enough assistant though if only for the buzz it'd generate

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I'd put good money on one of those sitting coaches being AIC's Eric Lang, IMO...seen people also speculate on Rick Bennett from Union as well. But that's just me spitballing and making educated guesses.

I've also seen some people dreaming of Marty...yeah, no, not when he has zero HC experience. He'd probably make a decent enough assistant though if only for the buzz it'd generate
Yeah, if you'd said Rick Bennett 2 years ago I'd have said you're insane, but now he's had a couple down years for his standards (looks like a pretty young team this year judging by its roster) he might be thinking take a jump at another job that is going to give him a 5-6 year deal and more money than Union can offer because he has literally taken them as far as they'll ever go. It would be funny though that the last two coaches are hired from Union...though Bennett would be way more a bold/home run type hire than 50-99 record Kevin Sneddon was.

One thing to watch out for though: Bennett a Providence alum...if Leaman leaves PC for the NHL in the offeseason (guy interviewed for the Ottawa job, whose to say he doesn't dip his toes in those waters and commit to it). PC would certainly want Bennett on the top of their list. Or their assistant Rolston possibly. Or let's just play dominos for fun and say Leaman is hired by the Canadiens to the outrage of Francophones across the province, he brings in a whole new staff, and Dom Ducharme is out of a job and says what the hell and takes the UVM job...and brings in Barnard, VT resident Claude Julien as his assistant coach! That's a lot more likely than Martin St. Louis coaching. Hate to be that guy but anyone who entertains the St. Louis notion seriously is an idiot.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Yeah, don't get your hopes up though. UVM isn't going to hire a 62 year old for a position they more or less give people 15+ years on the job regardless of results. You Maine fans will only be happy when the zombie apocalypse happens and Shawn Walsh comes back from the dead to grunt out motivation and turn everyone into the next Paul Kariya and Scott Pellerin though.
Or we'd be happy when the athletic department uses the profile it used when Walsh was hired: a young, energetic, hungry guy with a vision for the program and a plan to get it there. Not the standard used in the last two hires: "Guy who once stood next to Shawn Walsh."

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Or we'd be happy when the athletic department uses the profile it used when Walsh was hired: a young, energetic, hungry guy with a vision for the program and a plan to get it there. Not the standard used in the last two hires: "Guy who once stood next to Shawn Walsh."
Exactly. I love Vermont fans telling Maine how to run their athletic dept. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Exactly. I love Vermont fans telling Maine how to run their athletic dept. :rolleyes:
UVM really lives rent free in your head, doesn't it? Calm down, and enjoy Red. It's your only chance at possibly enjoying a winter sport past the second weekend of March.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
You mean like every fanbase of every school in America would like? I'm not arguing your point, it's plenty fair. It doesn't mean my take is wrong either. Maine hockey fans live for misery since Walsh died. Given your stance on the school and its budget, I have an honest question for you: do you believe Maine can and would commit to getting back to that level in hockey? You are very down on Maine athletics and the school here quite often so I legitimately am curious to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
You mean like every fanbase of every school in America would like? I'm not arguing your point, it's plenty fair. It doesn't mean my take is wrong either. Maine hockey fans live for misery since Walsh died. Given your stance on the school and its budget, I have an honest question for you: do you believe Maine can and would commit to getting back to that level in hockey? You are very down on Maine athletics and the school here quite often so I legitimately am curious to hear your thoughts.
To the level of North Dakota or Minnesota-Duluth? No, I don't think that money is there. But, this is the only program that if it did have sustained success could fill the arena and balance the books. I don't think it's unreasonable for Maine hockey to be as successful as Lowell.

On the coaches- I am always for hiring a young guy that wants to move up quickly. Take the three years of success, then try to do it again. Maine does it with the football program. Harasymiak went to a national semifinal and then bolted at his first chance. Maine went back to the well with another 30-something assistant. I don't see why they don't with hockey/basketball. Particularly because those guys tend to work cheap. I guess Bob Walsh was a swing in that direction that didn't work, but that doesn't mean you don't try again.

·
Comrade Fox
1,850 Posts
not related to the coaching search, but UVM is assisting with St. Louis's bid for a Frozen Four between 2023-2026. The link is Chris Zimmerman, a former UVM hockey player who is the President and CEO of business operations of the Blues

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
not related to the coaching search, but UVM is assisting with St. Louis's bid for a Frozen Four between 2023-2026. The link is Chris Zimmerman, a former UVM hockey player who is the President and CEO of business operations of the Blues

He better return the favor and assist in the coaching search too.

Also, Sneddon thanks the fans and gets the "such a class act!" tweets from the hockey media when it was what, 3 weeks ago he was telling them all they didn't know what they were talking about because they've never coached a game in his life? Funny enough an informed hunch is that those comments he made led to changing the narrative and his retirement announcement a week later because the school was sick of the bad PR. Thanks for the letter though...it could have used an apology in there, but it's nice.

·
5,854 Posts
Ralph Engelstad, a notorious North Dakota alumnus and donor, also had several business connections in Las Vegas.
Knowing Las Vegas history, that made me laugh.

I'm surprised, given its proximity, that the Las Vegas bid isn't getting help from Arizona St; especially given the UNLV club team's drive to promote themselves to NCAA and the Alaska schools finding themselves without a conference after next season, they'd want as much college hockey on the west coast as possible.

Also, I'm surprised Golden Knights owner Bill Foley isn't getting his alma mater involved, given how he's tied so much of the team to West Point.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts