Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
I like the hire. Sneddon’s biggest problem was developing his players and that seems to be Woodcroft’s biggest asset. His family history is very impressive, two of his uncles are Priests, so on paper looks like a guy with good character. And with all his scouting experience and connections at that level, he should be able to knock on doors. Actually getting commits is another story, but I’m excited.

·
Premium Member
33,155 Posts
Hockey is incredibly boring to watch. I have no interest in UVM hockey other then I’d rather it win then lose if it exists.

Have no idea who this guy is or who any of the other candidates are, but have to imagine has to better than last few seasons under prior coach.

Reactions: c00per and catpower

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Hockey is incredibly boring to watch. I have no interest in UVM hockey other then I’d rather it win then lose if it exists.

Have no idea who this guy is or who any of the other candidates are, but have to imagine has to better than last few seasons under prior coach.
Full send on the "uneducated opinion" on the first part, my guy! Second point though, valid.

·
Premium Member
33,155 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hockey boring? Lol its probably greatest sport invented. Basketball i like. In fact i like all sports and wouldnt call any sport better but basketball is struggling as a sport its not as good as it was. Even Barkley said nhl is better than nba.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will also say vermont hockey is bigger and more popular than basketball. More important than any other sport or team in area. This hire is huge!! Coming from Winnipeg and how they run their team is big and we have to hope he can get this message across to the players and recruits on how his team will be expected to play

·
Registered
6 Posts
101.3 doing great job doing shows covering the vermont hockey hire.

Not sure why station doesnt do more local shows. These guys are great.

Alwsys listen when at lake or even at home lol which is still near the lake. Best hosts we have had.

Im hearing they are gonna do pre and post shows now for Vermont

·
Realist/A-hole
5,725 Posts
The hockey team operates at competitive level far above it's financial means. It would be the equivalent of basketball operating in the A-10. The odds of being consistently good are slim. We are basically the Fordham of Hockey East at this point. How long before budget constraints make this even worse than it is now?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Big question and it was almost asked on radio today when can new coach get into town. I think he was asked but forgot to answer a 2 part question from the host.

He is a canadian and he cant enter the USA. His current Visa is likely void as he no longer works for Winnipeg so he couldn't enter with that Visa.

Normally he would enter as a visitor from Canada and worry about it later.

He might not get to Burlington for another month.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The hockey team operates at competitive level far above it's financial means. It would be the equivalent of basketball operating in the A-10. The odds of being consistently good are slim. We are basically the Fordham of Hockey East at this point. How long before budget constraints make this even worse than it is now?
Whoa there, buddy. UVM is definitely not the Fordham of Hockey East. That's Merrimack. UVM is AT LEAST La Salle on a good day.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Some more literature on Woodcroft (are we on a Coach Woody name basis yet?):

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Woodcroft was on 101.3 today: New UVM HC Todd Woodcroft Joins 'The Huddle' (AUDIO)

He seems to have a very commanding presence and has said a lot of the right things. So I'm cautiously excited. The program won't fix itself overnight, so let's be patient, the process will be the important thing the first couple years of the new regime.
One thing that's interesting in that is he mentions talking to Becker during the hiring process too (along with multiple other coaches to get a feel for the department). Hopefully even if it's a different sport he does lean on Becker for some guidance...how to be successful without really having much to offer. Granted the basketball team has been a machine for 20 years but there's a reason for that too that I'm sure Woodcroft can leverage. Sounds like he always wants to learn. Also, I'd advise him when he has a free night, actually go to other sporting events on campus like the basketball games. I never saw Sneddon at another team's event, but I do see Becker sometimes at soccer and hockey games when he's got the off night. I think that's a cool and nice thing to do for a work colleague to show support when you can out of your busy schedule.

·
Comrade Fox
1,887 Posts
Also, I'd advise him when he has a free night, actually go to other sporting events on campus like the basketball games. I never saw Sneddon at another team's event, but I do see Becker sometimes at soccer and hockey games when he's got the off night. I think that's a cool and nice thing to do for a work colleague to show support when you can out of your busy schedule.
Yeah I've seen the basketball team at a ton of soccer games and such, and I've seen Dow at women's soccer events as well. Always felt the men's hockey team kept to themselves a bit too much. But I'm liking Woodcroft more and more. His assistants will be key, he implied on 101.3 that Hill is coming back and he's got another assistant lined up

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hard for hockey to go to other events they play when others do or practice. More schedule than any other sport

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I know staff spots are pretty limited in hockey, so you need to make the right moves...but I think retaining Hill, considering the circumstances, would be prudent at this juncture. When you can't exactly hit the ground running, you need someone who can: he can help facilitate communication with the current roster, helps you navigate NCAA rules and the recruiting landscape you're inheriting, helps with scheduling (a job that always gets done, but nobody really ever thinks about someone doing). He's your immediate eyes and ears on the ground...even if right now the ground is up in the air.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I know staff spots are pretty limited in hockey, so you need to make the right moves...but I think retaining Hill, considering the circumstances, would be prudent at this juncture. When you can't exactly hit the ground running, you need someone who can: he can help facilitate communication with the current roster, helps you navigate NCAA rules and the recruiting landscape you're inheriting, helps with scheduling (a job that always gets done, but nobody really ever thinks about someone doing). He's your immediate eyes and ears on the ground...even if right now the ground is up in the air.
I think you can have 3 paid, but only 2 are allowed to be like full on the road recruiting types. Hill is a good guy, well liked, so I do think he stays. He was more in the admin, non-recruiting role before being bumped up last year or the year before as a result of Sneddon firing his other assistant claiming the recruits this guy was bringing in was the problem.

Also, the salary numbers for Woodcroft were reported last night by Abrami...and oh boy did that set off the #vtpoli people. Which of course is very typical. Like, I get it and do support the faculty/staff unions and all that (ex-Provost Rowsosky is an a-hole and he makes me barf that he's Mr. Catamount #1 Fan with how he treated those people), and I know many of the students are reeling from this, but...also like, large sigh. Just wait until some of the Burlington City Council members find out Coach Woody's ex employer was the Jets!*

*For reference for those of you not up on the local news: Burlington Council Tells Guard to Cool Their Jets During Pandemic

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Also, the salary numbers for Woodcroft were reported last night by Abrami...and oh boy did that set off the #vtpoli people. Which of course is very typical. Like, I get it and do support the faculty/staff unions and all that (ex-Provost Rowsosky is an a-hole and he makes me barf that he's Mr. Catamount #1 Fan with how he treated those people), and I know many of the students are reeling from this, but...also like, large sigh. Just wait until some of the Burlington City Council members find out Coach Woody's ex employer was the Jets!*

*For reference for those of you not up on the local news: Burlington Council Tells Guard to Cool Their Jets During Pandemic
Do some people think "not having a hockey coach at all right now" is a viable alternative? Yes, it's a lot of money by human standards. And yes, now more than ever it cuts right to the heart of the timeless "what's really important about college?" debate. But if we weren't hiring a hockey coach, it'd be because we'd already have a hockey coach, and that hockey coach would probably be making ~$165K to "sit this thing out."

If anything, kinda glad we're only paying one hockey (or basketball, or football at some schools) coach and not 2 or 3...although as a matter of semantics we may be paying Sneddon until June, but maybe that's even getting worked over a little as well.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Do some people think "not having a hockey coach at all right now" is a viable alternative? Yes, it's a lot of money by human standards. And yes, now more than ever it cuts right to the heart of the timeless "what's really important about college?" debate. But if we weren't hiring a hockey coach, it'd be because we'd already have a hockey coach, and that hockey coach would probably be making ~$165K to "sit this thing out."

If anything, kinda glad we're only paying one hockey (or basketball, or football at some schools) coach and not 2 or 3...although as a matter of semantics we may be paying Sneddon until June, but maybe that's even getting worked over a little as well.
You probably could have stopped the first sentence after the word “think”. But unfortunately there is a core group for whom indignation is like oxygen.

81 - 100 of 114 Posts