Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

121 - 140 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
...the new press box was going over there, but I wonder how much progress they've made on the concourse on that end?
Agreed, I wish she had shown us where she was standing. My impression was that in order to complete that element (new south side concourse/press box area) they would need to pop out the south side of Gutterson to make more room. I would think that would be visible from the street, but I haven't driven by that site in months to see if anything has changed on that side (on the exterior, anyway).

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Assistant Coach Jeff Hill had this amusing Tweet this morning, but I was more interested in the photo...

You can kinda see on the right it looks like they've put up some kind of (temporary?) press box hanging over the south side seats...but it doesn't look like there's been any kind of progress on the new concourse.

In fairness, I don't know what order they had planned to build stuff anyway, i.e. was the south concourse always coming later, or has it been Covidbudget delayed.

·
Comrade Fox
2,054 Posts
A couple more things from the last few days...

* Captains have been announced. Sophomore Andrew Lucas is the team captain. Caught me a bit off guard, but I assume Woodcroft wanted to give the C to a guy who was gonna be around for a few years to help him set the culture. And frankly I think Lucas is probably the best piece he inherited.

* Season start is looking like late November per Buccigross. League only games. The NCHC is doing a bubble in Omaha starting December 1 and I'm curious to see if HE goes the same way, perhaps in Boston.

* The FF, which has already been discussed in another thread.

* Couple recruits committed the last few days. One from '02 Thomas Sinclair of the St. Michael's Buzzers and one from '03 Karter McNarland of the Humboldt Broncos. No idea on if they're any good, but it's news; both were around a point per game last year in the OJHL and SJHL respectively.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
A couple more things from the last few days...

* Captains have been announced. Sophomore Andrew Lucas is the team captain. Caught me a bit off guard, but I assume Woodcroft wanted to give the C to a guy who was gonna be around for a few years to help him set the culture. And frankly I think Lucas is probably the best piece he inherited.

* Season start is looking like late November per Buccigross. League only games. The NCHC is doing a bubble in Omaha starting December 1 and I'm curious to see if HE goes the same way, perhaps in Boston.

* The FF, which has already been discussed in another thread.

* Couple recruits committed the last few days. One from '02 Thomas Sinclair of the St. Michael's Buzzers and one from '03 Karter McNarland of the Humboldt Broncos. No idea on if they're any good, but it's news; both were around a point per game last year in the OJHL and SJHL respectively.
I'd keep the best player happy too, but I think you're right. Also, 10 seniors, plus wouldn't shock me if a few holdovers transferred after this year if they aren't in the plans. Same for some recruits that haven't arrived. It's fine; new staff should be able to find their own fits.

I do wonder if Woodcroft is strategically trying to get younger. Dovar Tinling is going to be 17 all year. Vitolins was possibly a Woodcroft recruit and he's 18. The two new ones are 17, and it appears one (who is going to be 18 soon) is coming next year. Woodcroft is a development guy so he might feel building a core, especially since he's starting from the bottomof 18-22 year olds who can grow into his scheme together is better than targeting the 21+ guys. I don't have anything against either strategy, but I wonder if it's the case. Sneddon appeared to push guys until they were at least 20 in some cases from arriving, so maybe the opposite approach works?

As for scheduling...Boston bubbles make sense but I could see an avenue where a few games are played at Gutterson. UMass, Maine and UNH possibly. Though, if there's safety guidelines for opponents and the space they have to social distance among each other, UVM visitor locker rooms aren't gonna cut it. Hockey East does at least have the advantage of being a true bus league.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Yes, well, about hockey..
18 members of Yale's men's ice hockey team test positive for Covid-19
The announcement came one day after the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's weekly report suggested indoor sports games could turn into superspreader events.

In the report, Florida health department officials detailed an incident in which one player infected as many as 14 others at a single indoor ice hockey game last spring.

Ice hockey involves vigorous physical exertion with heavy respiration during the game and frequent contact between the players, the researchers noted in the report.

"The indoor space and close contact between players during a hockey game increase infection risk for players and create potential for a superspreader event, especially with ongoing community COVID-19 transmission," the study concluded.

"The ice rink provides a venue that is likely well suited to COVID-19 transmission as an indoor environment where deep breathing occurs, and persons are in close proximity to one another," they said.
18 identified in Vt. youth and adult hockey league outbreak

·
Comrade Fox
2,054 Posts
I'm honestly lowkey pretty excited for this season, if it ever happens. I know we're not going to be good. But we have new faces and fresh ideas, and frankly the weirdness of this year takes even more pressure off. BC was 11-22-2 in York's first season, Maine in Walsh's was 12-29-1, and UMass in Carvel's was 5-29-2. It won't get better overnight, it's about the direction.

It's going to be a process, the pain of a rebuild is real. I'm not worried about results this year, or even next. Just strive to get better every day, and give us a team and culture that we can be proud of, win or lose.

·
Comrade Fox
2,054 Posts
TheScore with an article today about UVM freshman Dovar Tinling, the youngest player in D1 this season:

Less than a week til puck drop!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Interview with Todd Woodcroft. I share this primarily because of this little nugget:

As a result, the Catamounts haven't played a game yet, though they hope that finally changes next week. Details will be announced shortly that Vermont will pick up games, finally, for this coming weekend.

Currently the Cats aren't scheduled to play until 12/26, so something to keep an eye on.

Also, every Woodcroft interview makes me feel really dumb about hockey, in a good way. The coaching results will speak for themselves, but there's no question he's a true student of the game. He lives it.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Having taken a moment to think about it...I feel like UConn makes the most sense as a possible impromptu opponent this weekend:

*Has to be a Hockey East team (unless there's a sudden change in league scheduling philosophy/protocol).
*Merrimack, UNH, Providence, UMass, Lowell, and Maine are all previously scheduled for this weekend.
*BU hasn't played yet, and per a release last week, is finishing up final exams this weekend.
*UVM is already scheduled to play Northeastern the following weekend.

That leaves UConn and BC. The Cats were scheduled to play UConn earlier this season before it was postponed, and does not currently have them on the schedule elsewhere. UVM's scheduled series with BC isn't until 1/29-30.

UPDATE: It's going to be UMass after all. They switched their previous weekend schedule around.

·
Premium Member
33,640 Posts
UVM Hockey still doing UVM Hockey things. Loses 4-0 to UMass in season opener on NESN.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
UVM Hockey still doing UVM Hockey things. Loses 4-0 to UMass in season opener on NESN.
They get a pass this year. Even without Covid, this was building from absolute rock bottom. Jumping right into a Hockey East schedule, they could go winless, but it's hard to hold it against Woodcroft and the new staff. It sounds like a completely new system is being implemented and with an eye for the future, which is the right thing to do in this situation. I mean from the Free Press preview of the team it sounds like the returning players are having culture shock that they're actually being coached in practice.

·
Comrade Fox
2,054 Posts
They get a pass this year. Even without Covid, this was building from absolute rock bottom. Jumping right into a Hockey East schedule, they could go winless, but it's hard to hold it against Woodcroft and the new staff. It sounds like a completely new system is being implemented and with an eye for the future, which is the right thing to do in this situation. I mean from the Free Press preview of the team it sounds like the returning players are having culture shock that they're actually being coached in practice.
Also: UMass is good and has a few games under their belt.

I said it earlier, but this year won't be pretty. We knew that. Embrace struggle and trust the process.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I watched two periods of last nights game on NESN. Wasn’t planning on watching but it was this or meaningless SEC football and I don’t pay for any of the Hockey East subscriptions so like to watch a few NESN games when I can.

UVM had absolutely zero hustle. It was like they were playing for 75 seconds, not really pushing the (near-zero aggression) then they just dump-and-change across the blue line and head to the bench. I know you can say that about any hockey line change, but I mean it felt like each shift was just out there waiting for their time to be over. Like it was a chore almost. I didn’t see the passion. A lot of really really lousy wrist shots from the point too. No screen in front of the goalie and the uvm defender decided to just rip one off when the goalie is looking right at him. UMass on the other hand never took the foot off the gas. UVM looked completely hopeless and lost all confidence after UMass scored that short-handed goal late in the 2nd to make it 2-0.

TL/DR: A LOT of work this program needs to do. i don’t think we’ve seen the bottom yet.

Another thing I found interesting: All UVM players were wearing masks at all times, while none of the UMass players were. This seems to put UVM at a huge disadvantage as they wont have the same oxygen pick up and can’t communicate as well. I assume this was self-mandated as UMass was maskless. Will the administration make basketball players wear masks too?

Ridiculous. Im so sick of the restrictions and “Vermont exceptionalism.” The rest of the country is doing fine and theyre not letting Covid define this time period.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Ridiculous. Im so sick of the restrictions and “Vermont exceptionalism.” The rest of the country is doing fine and theyre not letting Covid define this time period.

lol. My grandfather died of Covid last week in Florida.

A 9/11 every day. Sure buddy - things are great.

If wearing a mask saves someones life - I would hope to think the kids will want to do that. I would hope UVM teaches kids to care about other people. I hope they would teach kids to feel real empathy for someone who would get mad at them over wearing masks for a stupid fucking hockey game.

Grow up you god damn man baby or move to Florida and become a fucking FSU fan or something.

As a member of the community, I am quite happy they are wearing masks.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear about your loss Bill. Far too many people are experiencing far too much loss right now.

I'm going to assume your post was in response to a Vcat post.

First, I would recommend you ignore the account.

They contribute nothing to this forum but vitriol, negativity, and a lack of humanity.

They cry about politics but then force their own into every post.

It's their own satisfaction over human lives at this point. Worthless discussion.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Thanks - didn't know ignore was an option here.

I respect you opinion if you see things otherwise - but the rest of the country is not doing fine. There will be a reckoning. Close to 350K dead by Christmas in less than a year.

But I guess there were plenty of Henry Fords and Charles Lindberghs who thought Germany would be a good friend too.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
lol. My grandfather died of Covid last week in Florida.

A 9/11 every day. Sure buddy - things are great.

If wearing a mask saves someones life - I would hope to think the kids will want to do that. I would hope UVM teaches kids to care about other people. I hope they would teach kids to feel real empathy for someone who would get mad at them over wearing masks for a stupid fucking hockey game.

Grow up you god damn man baby or move to Florida and become a fucking FSU fan or something.

As a member of the community, I am quite happy they are wearing masks.
Sorry for your loss.

VCat2015 will conveniently leave out that every HS fall sports team in VT wore masks while playing. Also that unmasked hockey was the biggest reason for a Washington County spike in cases a couple months ago during rec leagues. Also, they make ones out of breathable fabrics...so really, come on. This is turning an observation into a reactionary narrative, not that we should be surprised. (Edit: Because VCat2015 "liked" this post, probably thinking I was addressing you, I want to make it clear, VCat2015 is the one who has the reactionary narrative, not you. VCat2015 a stupid baby, just so we're all clear)

Also, the women's basketball team didn't wear masks while playing yesterday. What it fails to consider is maybe the men's hockey team decided as a team that they would wear masks because they value their teammates safety as well as others. What a novel concept!!

·
Registered
712 Posts
My only issue is why does UVM have to compete with masks on when their direct opponents don’t wear them?

If you want a scapegoat to blame then blame Umass or Charlie Baker for not having the same restrictions UVM/the state of Vermont has in place. I just don’t like the inequity of these policies. I’m fine with sacrificing to blunt the spread but the restrictions have to be more equitable across all Americans, and yes I am a bit envious of other states (including Massachusetts!) and universities who are much less risk-adverse.

121 - 140 of 214 Posts