Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

161 - 180 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've seen a lot of hockey commitments lately. I'm a very casual uvm hockey fan and can't get a grasp on the importance of these recruits. Can anyone enlighten me?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I've seen a lot of hockey commitments lately. I'm a very casual uvm hockey fan and can't get a grasp on the importance of these recruits. Can anyone enlighten me?
Well for one, it's a new coaching staff's first batch of recruits, most of which I think are coming next year with maybe a few Sneddon era holdovers. Hockey recruiting is a lot different in that it's common you see 1-2 years worth of classes filled out in advance because the players often commit rather early (they also flip and change a lot too). Thankfully, less 14-year-olds committing these days. But, with this current crop, you have to hope a few are building blocks for a team that is in serious rebuild mode.

Also, Germany advanced to the knockout stage in the World Juniors tournament going on right now for the first time ever. They've got this past year's #3 overall pick plus a high second round pick and they're quite the potent scoring combo. Munzenburger, the UVM commit has played in every game too, so hopefully that high-level international experience translates when he arrives.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well for one, it's a new coaching staff's first batch of recruits, most of which I think are coming next year with maybe a few Sneddon era holdovers. Hockey recruiting is a lot different in that it's common you see 1-2 years worth of classes filled out in advance because the players often commit rather early (they also flip and change a lot too). Thankfully, less 14-year-olds committing these days. But, with this current crop, you have to hope a few are building blocks for a team that is in serious rebuild mode.

Also, Germany advanced to the knockout stage in the World Juniors tournament going on right now for the first time ever. They've got this past year's #3 overall pick plus a high second round pick and they're quite the potent scoring combo. Munzenburger, the UVM commit has played in every game too, so hopefully that high-level international experience translates when he arrives.
Good to know.

I've heard Sneddon recruited older guys and Woodcroft prefers younger. Is that generally true?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Good to know.

I've heard Sneddon recruited older guys and Woodcroft prefers younger. Is that generally true?
Toward the end Sneddon definitely trended older. I think there's pros and cons to both and probably the best thing to do is balance it based on what you're dealing with. Circumstances also vary. Sneddon's best team was his 08-09 Frozen Four team and that had the right balance of age young to older and were very good college hockey players. Plus he had two future NHLers on the roster.

I think a lot of other factors led to Sneddon going older toward the end. Team stunk and the coaches thought they could dig out of it by adding experience, and he got a bad rep for player development and turning over his roster every year so I think some more talented players were told to stay away.

Woodcroft's probably going to try younger. He's got the youngest player possibly ever in college hockey. Would make some sense to build a younger core of guys who grow together and help improve the team. But, I don't think he's married to the idea. One of his recruits is going to be 21 when he gets here next fall so I think we'll only be able to truly tell after a couple recruiting classes.

·
Comrade Fox
2,054 Posts
Toward the end Sneddon definitely trended older. I think there's pros and cons to both and probably the best thing to do is balance it based on what you're dealing with. Circumstances also vary. Sneddon's best team was his 08-09 Frozen Four team and that had the right balance of age young to older and were very good college hockey players. Plus he had two future NHLers on the roster.

I think a lot of other factors led to Sneddon going older toward the end. Team stunk and the coaches thought they could dig out of it by adding experience, and he got a bad rep for player development and turning over his roster every year so I think some more talented players were told to stay away.

Woodcroft's probably going to try younger. He's got the youngest player possibly ever in college hockey. Would make some sense to build a younger core of guys who grow together and help improve the team. But, I don't think he's married to the idea. One of his recruits is going to be 21 when he gets here next fall so I think we'll only be able to truly tell after a couple recruiting classes.
Yeah, last few incoming classes have been pretty heavy there.

2019 newcomer class: Lucas was 20, Boyko was 20, Lemay turned 21 midseason, then Beretta came in as a grad transfer. The only U20s were McCutcheon (who's not even here anymore) and Bouquot (who came out of nowhere)

2018 newcomer class: Petrillo was 20, Long was 20, Comeau turned 21 before the season, DeRoche was 20, Hamre was 21. Only U20 was Cipollone (who's not even here anymore).

2017 newcomer class: Harmon turned 20 right as the season started. Beck was 21, Evers was 20, Cowans was 21, Frechette (not here anymore) was 20, Esposito was 21, Kaufman (no longer here) was 21. U20s: Grant, Misley, Thomas, Dzhioshvili (though Vlad IIRC debuted at 20 since he turned 20 midseason and missed most of the season).

The one thing I have noticed from Woody is the increased European presence (Vitolins and the two noted commits), which I think I've discussed before. For a team in a small part of the country but in a strong conference, looking there for talent is a good call (and it's worked well for the women's team where I'd argue the top 3 most talented players on that team are all European - Mlynkova, Schafzahl, and Karjalainen). Wiedler (assistant coach) was at AIC before, that team farmed the hell out of Europe and made a solid team out of it.

·
Comrade Fox
2,054 Posts
in all seriousness, as someone who was more concerned with process than results this season, another game where UVM looked better than the last. Harmon was stupendous today and we'd be skating away winners if not for that horrible no-goal call in the first.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Maine hockey is as dead as a doornail.
It really makes me wonder if putting that Alfond money into hockey is really worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
It really makes me wonder if putting that Alfond money into hockey is really worth it in the long run.
Well, hockey is literally the only sport that Maine has a prayer of ever winning a national title in. So, if we aren't going to invest in hockey, we shouldn't have an athletic program.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Well, hockey is literally the only sport that Maine has a prayer of ever winning a national title in. So, if we aren't going to invest in hockey, we shouldn't have an athletic program.
So you should only have an athletic program if you can win national titles? I guess I have been misguided my whole life, including 20ish years spent working in athletic programs, as to the many reasons why a university/college has an intercollegiate athletic program.

In addition, if that is the case, we may as well shut down hundreds of them right now. Well, covid-19 may be on the way to shutting some down as we know it anyway so I guess we can just see how that all pans out in the coming months.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
So you should only have an athletic program if you can win national titles? I guess I have been misguided my whole life, including 20ish years spent working in athletic programs, as to the many reasons why a university/college has an intercollegiate athletic program.

In addition, if that is the case, we may as well shut down hundreds of them right now. Well, covid-19 may be on the way to shutting some down as we know it anyway so I guess we can just see how that all pans out in the coming months.
Frankly, I am getting closer and closer to the conclusion that colleges shouldn't have athletic programs at all.

But specifically to the University of Maine, there's no reason to operate a Division I program if the hockey program isn't around. If the point of intercollegiate athletics is to be the "front porch" to your university, the front porch shouldn't be moldy and worm eaten. FCS football isn't driving applications. The women's basketball program does a nice job, but there aren't 3,000 students filling the arena every weekend. Having a middling America East field hockey program isn't garnering big alumni donations. Winning hockey national titles on ESPN against Michigan or some other major school could do those things.

If that isn't on the table, what is the advantage of being a D-I/FCS program instead of D-II? Maine could be a national power in D-II, do it with more homegrown talent, and save money. So I guess "stop sponsoring athletics" was a bit harsh in the current environment where 99% of schools sponsor athletics. Let's amend it to "we're at the wrong level if we can't compete for hockey national titles."

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
The team might be paused but the recruiting is not. More Europeans.

• Simon Jellus who centered the top line at the WJC for Slovakia
  • Isak Walther, a Swede who was a 6th round pick of the Predators in 2019
  • Duncan Ramsey, a 16 y/o out of Nova Scotia who likely isn't coming until 2023-24 (gotta love hockey recruiting)

Walther right now is most famous for being the guy the Predators used their 5 minute pause in the draft to get extra time to select him...179th overall. Poor dude got the NY Jets treatment after from the fans. It's just a little bit funny, but here's to a good college career for the guy.

Also, Hutchison who I thought looked decent is now off the team. No idea what went on there.

·
Comrade Fox
2,054 Posts
Side note, but the NWHL Bubble starts in a few minutes, with a matchup of the two teams with UVM alumnae - the Metro Riveters (Sammy Kolowrat) and Toronto Six (Mackenzie MacNeil). All games on Twitch except the playoff rounds which will be on NBCSN

·
Comrade Fox
2,054 Posts
The team might be paused but the recruiting is not. More Europeans.

• Simon Jellus who centered the top line at the WJC for Slovakia
  • Isak Walther, a Swede who was a 6th round pick of the Predators in 2019
  • Duncan Ramsey, a 16 y/o out of Nova Scotia who likely isn't coming until 2023-24 (gotta love hockey recruiting)

Walther right now is most famous for being the guy the Predators used their 5 minute pause in the draft to get extra time to select him...179th overall. Poor dude got the NY Jets treatment after from the fans. It's just a little bit funny, but here's to a good college career for the guy.

Also, Hutchison who I thought looked decent is now off the team. No idea what went on there.
If all those Europeans come to campus, UVM will have had more Europeans in the Woodcroft era with this batch and the current roster alone than we did the entire Sneddon era (we only had 5 under KS - the Stalberg bros, Slavomir Tomko, Tobias Nilsson Roos, and Dzhioshvili; in terms of just this batch of commits, we've got Jellus, Muezenberger, Walther, Tarkianen, Whim Stalberg, and Vitolins - I know Whim was a KS recruit, I'm not sure who brought in Vitolins, but the other 4 are Woodcroft guys).

Assistant Stephen Wiedler was at AIC before and they milked the hell out of that European pipeline, the squad that beat St. Cloud in that famous NCAA upset had 11 of 'em. Plus, of course, Woody has the Sweden connection working with them at WJC.

For a smaller talent pool like VT going to Europe is probably wise, leave no stone unturned looking for gems, the women's team has found a lot of talent overseas.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
In the words of DJ Khaled: another one.

It's...an American?!

Cole Hudson, goalie out of the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area. Going to be an older one, 21 when he arrives, playing in the NAHL right now where he's having a solid season. Position of need given 2 of the goalies are seniors.

·
Comrade Fox
2,054 Posts
In the words of DJ Khaled: another one.

It's...an American?!

Cole Hudson, goalie out of the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area. Going to be an older one, 21 when he arrives, playing in the NAHL right now where he's having a solid season. Position of need given 2 of the goalies are seniors.

Another '00 born NAHL player. Porter Schachle of Kenai River commits:

From Alaska, brother was at UAA but transferred to LIU, 6'4 so brings some size up front.

List of commits from the current regime thus far:

Porter Schacle - 6'4 - F - AK, USA - '00 - Kenai River (NAHL)
Cole Hudson - 6'1 - G - NY, USA - '00 - Shreveport (NAHL)
Isak Walther - 6'3 - RW - Sweden - '01 - Södertälje (SWE U20)
Simon Jellúš - 6'2 - LW/C - Slovakia - '01 - Karlskrona (SWE U20)
Duncan Ramsay - 6'2 - LD - NS, CAN - '04 - Kimball Union (USHS)
Cal Thomas - 6'0 - LD - MN, USA - '03 - Maple Grove (USHS)
Luca Muenzenberger - 6'2 - LD - Germany - '02 - Cologne (GER U20)
Luke Mountain - 6'0 - C/RW - MN, USA - '00 - Maryland (NAHL)
Cody Schiavon - 6'0 - RD - BC, CAN - '00 - Currently on team
Jesper Tarkianen - 6'0 - RW - Finland - '01 - Jokerit (FIN U20)
Thomas Sinclair - 6'3 - C - ON, CAN - '02 - Muskegon (USHL)
Karter McNarland - 5'11 - F - SK, CAN - '03 - Bismarck (NAHL) & Sioux Falls (USHL)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Well all the Maura Sheridan fans on this board certainly got a Christmas present today.

Sheridan has been named broadcaster for men's hockey. Obviously she had some free time after the UVM Women mad their controversial decision to cancel. Maura Sheridan: First woman named radio voice of UVM men's hockey

I liked Michael Lehr as he's a local kid who's familiar with the program and community (though I don't listen to hockey radio broadcasts much, but I've heard him on other platforms and I like his voice). Sounds like after all the imposed shutdowns this year he had it with UVM Athletics and is now heading to Utica to do AHL broadcasting. Sad to see him go but these department-imposed shutdowns clearly have consequences when it comes to morale.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Good for her. Leave it to you to make it about your stupid takes on the Covid shutdowns though.

Also Michael is from California. Last I checked that wasn't local.

161 - 180 of 214 Posts