Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

261 - 280 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Just saw on Twitter that Kendrick Gray has left the team at ETSU. No word on future plans.

What a weird ride this has been. Not the weirdest, but also probably not finished.
Can you post the link? I don't see anything on Kendrick's Twitter account or anything on the Internet when I do a search.

Interestingly, on the ETSU web site, he is in the team picture but not on the roster, but friend of mine said it's been like that all year. They have a brief bio of him if you dig deep enough. I'm not sure if he actually got a full scholarship.

If I hear more from my friends in the NEK, I will post.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Can you post the link? I don't see anything on Kendrick's Twitter account or anything on the Internet when I do a search.

Interestingly, on the ETSU web site, he is in the team picture but not on the roster, but friend of mine said it's been like that all year. They have a brief bio of him if you dig deep enough. I'm not sure if he actually got a full scholarship.

If I hear more from my friends in the NEK, I will post.
Courtesy of Kane O'Neill, who used to cover Kendrick at Rice while at WCAX. Now works covering ETSU in Johnson City, TN.

https://twitter.com/WJHL_Kane/status/953796324813672451

He was definitely listed on their roster at one point, so the removal is a definite indicator. Also, as confirmed in the Tweet, but discussed here in the off-season, he was walking on and not receiving a scholarship.

Not sure if he left school entirely, or just the team (i.e. maybe finish up 2nd semester and plan next move from there).

·
Registered
779 Posts
Courtesy of Kane O'Neill, who used to cover Kendrick at Rice while at WCAX. Now works covering ETSU in Johnson City, TN.

https://twitter.com/WJHL_Kane/status/953796324813672451

He was definitely listed on their roster at one point, so the removal is a definite indicator. Also, as confirmed in the Tweet, but discussed here in the off-season, he was walking on and not receiving a scholarship.

Not sure if he left school entirely, or just the team (i.e. maybe finish up 2nd semester and plan next move from there).
Thanks. Kendrick turns 20 in May, so not sure where his basketball career goes from here. It does look like the scholarship offers either were not real or got withdrawn, for whatever reason. He may have been holding out for something better and it never materialized. Too bad.

·
Premium Member
33,141 Posts
From a pure talent/ potential perspective there’s really no doubt, at minimum, Gray could play anywhere in the AE, MAAC, NEC. Just look at his Vermont Academy highlight video. I saw him play when he was at VA, both years.

I mean, honestly he’s better than the current VA player we have on our team. However, I recall there were a number of people on this board when he was at Rice and they said UVM wasn’t recruiting him. The reasons why UVM didn’t recruit him are likely the same as why he ended up without scholarships, walking on at ETSU and now leaving school. All a shame because he should be playing D1 basketball on scholarship somewhere, and hopefully he turns it around. Perhaps he ends up at a JUCO now?

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Perhaps he ends up at a JUCO now?
I've given up trying to predict these things, but my "conventional wisdom" bet would be this: go to a JUCO, *actually get to play*, make sure your transcript is in order, then hit the market again in a year or two when you potentially become a hotter commodity for teams looking for veteran quick-fixes.

Not saying that's what will happen, but I feel like that's the most predictable trajectory.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've given up trying to predict these things, but my "conventional wisdom" bet would be this: go to a JUCO, *actually get to play*, make sure your transcript is in order, then hit the market again in a year or two when you potentially become a hotter commodity for teams looking for veteran quick-fixes.

Not saying that's what will happen, but I feel like that's the most predictable trajectory.
I know this kid, he’s never been great in the classroom and never had good grades at Vermont Academy or Rice. I’m sure it was academic related. He now has a new girl in his life with a lot of money as she used to be a model(good for you Kendrick!) and he’s living pretty good. Maybe he’s just comfortable and wants no stress?

·
Premium Member
33,141 Posts

Yeah, going JuCo is also likely the only way shot left to play D1 basketball as well. IIRC people were saying he was probably going to go JuCo before attending ETSU, so probably something already considered.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
From a former Rice player to a current one...

Michel Ndayishimiye. Freshman point guard. If you live in the area, check him out, because I have a feeling we're going to be talking about him for a while.

I'm not a hype guy by any stretch, but I'm hard-pressed to think of the last VT HS player I've seen who was this good *as a freshman*. Yeah, he makes freshman mistakes, but he's already got a natural position and if he keeps putting the work in...look out.

·
Premium Member
33,141 Posts
What’s the latest on Kam Farris? Seems like there can be a good amount of Fake News on recruiting in VT

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I never know when the VT HS playoffs are. I guess they don't really need to advertise as they can fill Pat with students, faculty, and family. But it was just this year that I found out about the Internet stream of all championship games.

DI champs happened yesterday and D2 and D4 are tomorrow.

https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/associations/vpa

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Noah Tyson of Rutland, who could be Mr. Basketball this year (between him and Kam Ferris probably) is going to Colby next year: http://www.rutlandherald.com/articles/tyson-reaps-prestgious-poy-honor/

Nice to see some of the more recent better players are able to parlay basketball into very prestigious academics.

Also never seen her live, but people say that Stetson girl from St. J is legit, D1 type. Let's see if Day and UVM have gotten back in the good graces of the VT HS coaches and Wayne and his AAU program. Never fault anyone who leaves the state or goes to the school they really want to be at, but Kinneston from Shelburne winning Patriot League POY is a nice little gut punch to Lori's tenure.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Your all-state teams: https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/04/12/28th-annual-free-press-all-state-boys-basketball-team/505717002/

1st Team

Noah Tyson, Rutland - Senior (Mr. Basketball)
Jamison Evans, Rutland - Junior
Kam Ferris, Rice - Junior
Kevin Garrison, Burlington - Senior
Jens Ulrich-Verderber, BFA-St. Albans - Senior

2nd Team

Leo Chaikin, Rice - Sophomore
Cam Coloutti, Fair Haven - Junior
Ian Jennings, Milton - Junior
Tyler Muttilainen, MMU - Senior
Michel Ndayishimiye, Rice - Freshman

·
Registered
95 Posts
Are any of these players UVM targets? Always felt it would be nice to have 1-2 local guys as a walk on that's a big towel waiver to go along with the ones that come in and overachieve like Clancy and Benny Shungu and get scholarships!

261 - 280 of 329 Posts