Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

281 - 300 of 307 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,797 Posts
Are any of these players UVM targets? Always felt it would be nice to have 1-2 local guys as a walk on that's a big towel waiver to go along with the ones that come in and overachieve like Clancy and Benny Shungu and get scholarships!
Kam Farris is the D1 prospect of the group, and he’s a scholarship player prob not a walk-on.

The Rice frosh is intriguing but still pretty young. Kevin Garrison could probably be a multi-sport athlete at a solid D3.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was able see to the the simi finals and finals only so I don't have a lot to go on, but Evans from Rutland looked like he had a lot of potential. 6-2 and he had good handles and shoots well. Unfortunately I don't think Farris had his best game when I watched. I think both of them look like they will need a prep year to be D1 scholarship players. I heard the freshman from Rice is seventeen years old and will not be eligible to play his senior season because of age.

On another note what happened to the kid from Enosburg I think his l name was Calvin Carter? Did he end up at St Mikes or at a prep school? I didn't notice him on St. Mikes roster.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I was able see to the the simi finals and finals only so I don't have a lot to go on, but Evans from Rutland looked like he had a lot of potential. 6-2 and he had good handles and shoots well. Unfortunately I don't think Farris had his best game when I watched. I think both of them look like they will need a prep year to be D1 scholarship players. I heard the freshman from Rice is seventeen years old and will not be eligible to play his senior season because of age.

On another note what happened to the kid from Enosburg I think his l name was Calvin Carter? Did he end up at St Mikes or at a prep school? I didn't notice him on St. Mikes roster.
Calvin Carter went to Bridgton Academy up in Maine. Not sure what kind of year he had, but I do believe he had some injury issues early in the season. Not sure how things played out.

Haven't seen much of Evans. My question with Kam Farris is similar to the one I had with Kendrick Gray: how good is he when he's on the floor with 9 guys who can do what he can. Because there's little to no doubt that he has more basketball skill than any other HS player in VT. But can he motivate himself to play well beyond his competition when he's at Rice, and can he play within the game at the college level.

As good as he is, he's gotta help the guys around him improve. Pretty crazy that a team with 3 of the top 10 players couldn't make the finals.

I'm not touching the Ndayishimiye age question...but he's definitely a physically strong freshman. I said it earlier in this thread, not sure I've seen a better HS freshman in VT than him. Question will be how he develops both in terms of his game, and physically (BFP says 5-9, which seems right...can he get up over 6-feet?). Very high ceiling, because he's already got a position (i.e. he's not a 6-2 VT HS power forward that can't translate at all at the next level).

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Rutland has always had solid athletes, it's always been they were probably better at playing football than basketball but their run in hoops is pretty amazing. First titled since the 60s last year, lose 4 starters, win it again, and get their first-ever Mr. Basketball.

Garrison athletically is someone I'd take a flyer on walk-on wise, but sounds like prep for football or D3 for both sports as Hoop Cat said, and that's probably his best spot. Not sure how he'd go from being the man basically from his freshman-sophomore year to practice body at UVM, attitude wise. Why you don't see many of these local kids walk on, either...even though you'd think given how good the program is over the years it would be a big deal to some kids. The kids that would take pride in it are the ones who aren't exactly good basketball players on their high school team and couldn't play any level of college, usually.

As I understand it with Farris, UVM is interested but is taking the common approach they have with local kids. See what happens their final year, if they step it up, they get a scholarship, if not the walk-on earn it role. And they can legitimately say they reward those guys down the line if they do well.

Also, isn't proving it when 9 other guys can do what you do pretty much applicable to all VT based HS kids when it comes to their ability to play D1 college basketball?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Also, isn't proving it when 9 other guys can do what you do pretty much applicable to all VT based HS kids when it comes to their ability to play D1 college basketball?
By the letter, sure. You don't even need the Vermont qualifier, that's just describing the transition between HS and college basketball.

I'll try to clarify: How does a guy like Farris play when he doesn't have a never-ending green light, because he's on the floor with 4 other shot-makers? Can he defend on the other end, because the other team will have actual offensive threats? Basically, does he have a game and mentality that allows him to succeed while being surrounded with similarly-talented and like-minded players, who also want the ball? Does he have something that's going to make him stand out and be valuable as the margins between players tighten up?

Sometimes you can see it in guys even when they're the best player on the floor. Sometimes you see the opposite. I haven't seen enough of Farris to really say strongly one way or another. Fortunately he has at least another year to showcase himself.

·
Premium Member
32,797 Posts
I've noticed there's been more VT HS players heading to prep school earlier than just waiting for post-grad years, and not just the Kendrick Gray's of the state either.

The Nelson kid from Rice left for Brooks and I think Vermont Academy has a couple of VT players on its team- Adiang, Scotnicki (sp?), there's probably been more that's all I've seen....that can't really help what is already a pretty thin talent pool for the players that do stick around (Farris, etc).

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I've noticed there's been more VT HS players heading to prep school earlier than just waiting for post-grad years, and not just the Kendrick Gray's of the state either.

The Nelson kid from Rice left for Brooks and I think Vermont Academy has a couple of VT players on its team- Adiang, Scotnicki (sp?), there's probably been more that's all I've seen....that can't really help what is already a pretty thin talent pool for the players that do stick around (Farris, etc).
I don't think it's that many, but I could be wrong. If there are, it's kids who never even stepped foot onto their public high school in VT and started prep as a freshman. It's actually killing off high school hockey in the state way more. Any kid that's any good on the boys or girls side is going prep, or playing some sort of junior hockey, because that's the only way you'll get noticed unless you live in Minnesota and play in HS. Schools that don't have the numbers are combining teams. Burlington and Colchester have been playing a combined girls team for the past few years. The boys side is having a hard time finding enough kids for a full roster. Doesn't help that it's a very white collar sport and expensive one too. Lacrosse is next. Growing a lot at the HS level, but so are the club teams here, and lax like hockey is hellbent on kids doing prep and all that too.

Anyway, Scotinicki is apparently having a good weekend on the AAU scene. He's definitely a good D3 level kid (and this is where I think he goes regardless), but apparentely a couple D2 and D1 schools put him on their lists to watch again.

·
Premium Member
32,797 Posts
I don't think it's that many, but I could be wrong. If there are, it's kids who never even stepped foot onto their public high school in VT and started prep as a freshman. It's actually killing off high school hockey in the state way more. Any kid that's any good on the boys or girls side is going prep, or playing some sort of junior hockey, because that's the only way you'll get noticed unless you live in Minnesota and play in HS. Schools that don't have the numbers are combining teams. Burlington and Colchester have been playing a combined girls team for the past few years. The boys side is having a hard time finding enough kids for a full roster. Doesn't help that it's a very white collar sport and expensive one too. Lacrosse is next. Growing a lot at the HS level, but so are the club teams here, and lax like hockey is hellbent on kids doing prep and all that too.

Anyway, Scotinicki is apparently having a good weekend on the AAU scene. He's definitely a good D3 level kid (and this is where I think he goes regardless), but apparentely a couple D2 and D1 schools put him on their lists to watch again.
I really don't know the exact numbers either, but the 3 players I was thinking of are Adiang from MMU, Nelson from Rice, and Scotnicki from CVU (IIRC)- it seems all left their respective HSs a bit early, and given all 3 were/are not necessarily D1 prospects, it just seemed to me like even if the State is losing 3 college-level ability kids that by virtue of that is has to be 3 of the better/best players in the state and makes an already shallow talent pool even more shallow & decreases the competition for a player like Farris or whatever other top players do stick around in the state before heading off to prep.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
That's great news for St. Mikes. He's a terrific athlete and by all accounts a really good kid. I think he could be a really good defender in college and pick up some fast break points.

St Mike's should be improved this coming year with Levi Holmes III coming back and many other starters. The team has talent they just need to commit to defense. They lost so many close games when the opposing team scored in the high 80's low 90's this past season.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,379 Posts
Rutland (VT) High School’s Jamison Evans has committed to D2 Lynn University.

·
Premium Member
32,797 Posts
Rutland (VT) High School’s Jamison Evans has committed to D2 Lynn University.
Rutland VT to Boca Raton FL. Two locations that couldn’t be more night and day. Good for him.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Michel from Rice had 37 last night. Does he start to get DI offers if he keeps this scoring going?
Is he still 5-8?

I haven't seen him yet this year. I think he's got game, a natural position, and a strong build. But I do have concerns that his height (assuming he's not headed for a spurt) is going to be a detriment. Sure, there are guys who have succeeded in D-1 at that height (and shorter!). But most guys don't.

Curious to see if he's going to follow the Kendrick Gray/Kam Farris/Leo Chaikin path of Rice stand-outs headed to prep school and reclassifying. Currently he's a 2021.

Speaking of Kam Farris...anyone have any idea how he's doing at Redemption Christian? I know he's committed to Robert Morris, just wasn't sure how his final HS year was going.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yes, Ndayishimiye is still 5'8" and it doesn't appear he's going to grow much more. His ball handling is terrific but not a great shooter. His finishes at the rim remind of watching Deloney's HS highlights--good way to put up 40 in an HS game, but it's not very effective against 6'8" D1 defenders.

Anyone know who #24 on Rice is? He looks young, probably FR or SO at most and is very raw and not terribly skilled. But I'm impressed with his length and athleticism. Probably 6'3-ish now and definitely someone who looks like he could sprout to 6'6"/6'7" by the time he's 17/18. D1 skillset definitely isn't there yet

·
Registered
145 Posts
On another Rice prospect note: former Rice player, now at Vermont Academy, sophomore Haley Walker is racking up DI offers. From talking to people I’ve heard that she already has more than a dozen DI offers. I don’t know her thoughts now, but I know previously she loved UVM.

Her twin brother, Heath, is on the Rice team and should be a all state type player in a year or two.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
2023 is way off and doesn't mean jack really but NERR's top 25 freshman has a Vermonter on it Taylor Bol Bowen: Names to Know in New England's 2023 Class |

He's at a prep would have been or was for one year before a reclassification a MMU kid? 6-7 ranked 3rd overall. So there's a name to watch.
I watched him play once or twice as a freshman last year at MMU. He looked like Slenderman. He wasn't quite 6-7 at that point, probably more like 6-4/5. For 14/15 years old, he was decent but definitely had some developing to do. Sounds like he's had a busy/productive summer which, coupled with going to prep school, has put him on some radars.

I think it's been mentioned here before, but for those who don't know he is Deng Adiang's younger brother. So you know, never to early to start making friends with the family.

·
Premium Member
32,797 Posts
St. George’s is a great school and in a pretty amazing location on the top of a hill overlooking the ocean. Think basketball team is usually decent, has Kolek that is committed to George Mason. Bol Bowen has good size.

A player for UVM to keep tabs on from that list for real is Reid Ducharme from Nobles. Pretty talented player, also has 2 sisters that play basketball one is at Brown now and other one is Class of 2021 and considered one of best players in country. Never know what level these players go to, but from what I’ve seen R Ducharme worth following.

One name for 2023 to remember nationally: Dajuan Wagner Jr from Camden, NJ.

281 - 300 of 307 Posts