Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

321 - 340 of 341 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I don't believe so. I know Taylor personally and even in Middle School he was 6'+. He's listed at 6' 7".
Pretty sure he was referring to Ndayishimiye's height, which is being debated. PS - Ndayishimiye was at a recent home game sitting with his Rice assistant coach (who has a pair of season tickets) down by Tom Brennan's seats at a recent home game. Doesn't really mean anything, but it could be something. Shungu went to a few games that way in HS.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Looks like the VT HS Gatorade POY is Logan Wendell from SJA.

Is he a prospect for UVM and/or SMC?
I saw him play once (this year at Patrick Gym). I liked him: good athleticism, played aggressively. But I'd say at this moment he's a sub-D1 guy, or maybe a year of prep school would help him.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Looks like the VT HS Gatorade POY is Logan Wendell from SJA.

Is he a prospect for UVM and/or SMC?
I think the only player at the moment who most people would agree possibly has a chance at a scholarship is Ndayishimiye and even at that there's questions about his height and of course level of competition. I'm sure Wendall has plenty of good options in D3, sounds like a very good student. Some of Vermont's better talents bolted for preps. Kam Farris left and got his D1 spot...Leo Chaikin left Rice and is a 2021 and per Verbal Commits holds a SMC offer, and it's too early but the possible next legitimate scholarship guy in Tyler Bol Bowen is in the class of 2023 and only spent a year at MMU.

Some of these local upperclassmen if they were planning on playing AAU ball with a bigger program or there was a VT-based team aiming on competing in the larger tournaments are all kind of screwed in terms of exposure this summer. Not all of them can afford a prep school either unless they're given a lot of grants and aid money.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,977 Posts
I think the only player at the moment who most people would agree possibly has a chance at a scholarship is Ndayishimiye and even at that there's questions about his height and of course level of competition. I'm sure Wendall has plenty of good options in D3, sounds like a very good student. Some of Vermont's better talents bolted for preps. Kam Farris left and got his D1 spot...Leo Chaikin left Rice and is a 2021 and per Verbal Commits holds a SMC offer, and it's too early but the possible next legitimate scholarship guy in Tyler Bol Bowen is in the class of 2023 and only spent a year at MMU.

Some of these local upperclassmen if they were planning on playing AAU ball with a bigger program or there was a VT-based team aiming on competing in the larger tournaments are all kind of screwed in terms of exposure this summer. Not all of them can afford a prep school either unless they're given a lot of grants and aid money.
Well that escalated quickly....

Verbal Commits

2023 St. George's (RI) F Taylor Bol Bowen has received an offer from Iowa. Verbal Commits | Taylor Bol Bowen Player Profile, Highlights, Offers, Twitter https://t.co/rCj8WVX6wM

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Well that escalated quickly....

Verbal Commits
2023 St. George's (RI) F Taylor Bol Bowen has received an offer from Iowa. Verbal Commits | Taylor Bol Bowen Player Profile, Highlights, Offers, Twitter https://t.co/rCj8WVX6wM
Wow. Honestly good for him...but at the same time let's see where he's at by his senior year. 2023 is still far out, and serious recruitment (taking official visits/actually narrowing down your choices) starts in kid's junior years. But, good on him for getting recognized at least at this point in his career by a Big 10 school.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This didn’t age well did it? Taylor has offers from Indiana, George Mason, Clemson, UVM, Providence, Iowa, UNH, Rutgers, Marquette, URI. There is still much more to come!

·
Premium Member
33,443 Posts
Kam Farris having a solid freshman season thus far for Robert Morris in Horizon League- 20mpg, 7ppg and 46% from 3.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Good for Farris. Robert Morris having a tough go its first year in the Horizon and sitting in last place.

This was from the Free Press this morning: Get Access

I thought this stood out from the Rice outlook:

"The reigning D-I champs don't just bring back the state's best player in the electrifying Ndayishimiye, who cracked the 1,000-point mark last January, they have depth in all facets — skill, athleticism and size. Awayle and Sharif can both fill it up from outside, Land has grown to 6-foot-10 since transferring from South Burlington, Kanneh is now 6-8 and Bessette, the rookie, is already 6-7 with a capable outside shot. "We check all the boxes. We've got shooters, we've got bigs, we've got Michel whose one of the best kids I've ever coached," Pecor said. "But my one concern is we haven't played together a lot yet." The Green Knights missed two-plus weeks of preseason due to COVID situations within the team. "

Land is a junior, Kanneh is a sophomore, and Bessette is a freshman. Now, as we all know here any kid over 6-6 in this state it's a question of if their size and skill translates at the same time, and generally it does not, but it has to have been a long while since any team in the state has had 3 players 6-7 or taller.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Good for Farris. Robert Morris having a tough go its first year in the Horizon and sitting in last place.

This was from the Free Press this morning: Get Access

I thought this stood out from the Rice outlook:

"The reigning D-I champs don't just bring back the state's best player in the electrifying Ndayishimiye, who cracked the 1,000-point mark last January, they have depth in all facets — skill, athleticism and size. Awayle and Sharif can both fill it up from outside, Land has grown to 6-foot-10 since transferring from South Burlington, Kanneh is now 6-8 and Bessette, the rookie, is already 6-7 with a capable outside shot. "We check all the boxes. We've got shooters, we've got bigs, we've got Michel whose one of the best kids I've ever coached," Pecor said. "But my one concern is we haven't played together a lot yet." The Green Knights missed two-plus weeks of preseason due to COVID situations within the team. "

Land is a junior, Kanneh is a sophomore, and Bessette is a freshman. Now, as we all know here any kid over 6-6 in this state it's a question of if their size and skill translates at the same time, and generally it does not, but it has to have been a long while since any team in the state has had 3 players 6-7 or taller.
Translated into reality, Land is 6'8', Kanneh is 6'6", and Bessette is 6'5".

:LOL:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Here's their team photo. #32 is Land, #24 Kenneh and #15 is Bessette (Michel N. is #2 with the basketball I assume). If #15 is really only a freshman I assume he's got at least one nice growth spurt in him and based on this photo I'd say 6'6"-ish is fair. #32 certainly doesn't look 6'9"/6'10" though (he's standing very close to the camera).

Really hard to judge height, even in relation to one another let alone in absolute terms given how they're standing in an arc. I'm guessing the smaller players like #20 and #13 barely crack 5'7". Maybe one will end up like Pat Bergmann?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Michel Ndayishimiye scored 44 against South Burlington last night. Also in Becker's media time before the UMBC series he was asked by the ESPNU broadcaster (who is from Brattleboro apparently) about VT kids and recruiting the state. At the end Becker says before stopping short "There's a kid at Ri--" before realizing he can't talk about that. Could be someone else, but perhaps Ndayishimiye gets the Shungu deal. He is far and away the best player in the state right now.

·
Premium Member
33,443 Posts
Michel can definitely play. Want that kid at UVM! Get it done!!

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
"The Shungu Deal" should be a copyrighted phrase.

Getting him to walk on would be a pretty big coup. Have heard next to nothing about his recruitment: He must have at least a D-2 offer somewhere, or perhaps would consider a PG year. If he and his family can swing the financials, it'd be great to get him in here for a de facto PG year (like Shungu did) then give him a crack at earning a scholarship.

He isn't as big as Shungu was, and I don't think he's that kind of defender. But (with my memories of Benny in HS getting fuzzier by the day), I think he's a more polished offensive player than 2016 Shungu, and an exceptional ballhandler. And from what I can tell he has a terrific motor/work ethic. I think he'd embrace the challenge.

·
Premium Member
33,443 Posts
Would sign up for the Rugg deal, too. Not trying to be too greedy.

·
Premium Member
33,443 Posts
321 - 340 of 341 Posts