Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
341 - 360 of 382 Posts

· Registered
3,260 Posts
This was done recently on channel 5 recently:

Not having AAU hurt many of these guys just in terms of solidifying their college looks at the D3 level...they specifically discuss Michel and his process. I'm sure if he had a full summer he would have gotten way more interest and perhaps some scholarship talk (who knows about solidified offers) if he performed well, but I think given the situation if he's able to swing it financially (UVM should be stepping up to the plate with financial aid for someone from the New American community locally to begin with), the Shungu Deal(tm) is the best bet to probably get a Division I opportunity.

He's definitely a way better offensive talent than Shungu was coming out of high school. Probably only 5-10 in official College Height Measurement(tm)...but he does appear to have some consistent range from various highlight tapes, and Sam Jackson his AAU coach and Pecor his HS coach rave about his work ethic. Pecor raves about him as much as he did Shungu, and while HS coaches certainly talk up their guys, I'd just say when everyone thought Kendrick Gray was the second coming, Pecor made sure to keep saying it was Shungu who was the most important player on their team.

· Registered
245 Posts

· Registered
3,260 Posts
It's hard to tell with many of these kids. As always, the best you can hope if they're able to be walk-ons and want to be, great. There is a former Rice kid who committed to a D2. He moved to Minnesota this year, and is going to Mississippi College in 2022. Judah Land.

Additionally, Kam Farris is back from injury on a really bad Robert Morris team, but he's shooting 59% from three in 5 games (really inflated because he hit 7 of 10 against a non-D1). He shot 46% last year: Kam Farris Stats | ESPN

· Registered
5,157 Posts
I haven't seen Sharif in action in person in a while (didn't really go to any games last year), but he is a good shooter which is Step 1 to getting on the radar. But I haven't seen enough of him to know if there's any other parts of his game that are translatable.

Funny that Judah Land just got brought up, because I was just reading about him over the weekend. It caught my eye that this current Rice team has zero seniors on it, and I thought "Weren't there juniors on the team last year?" Yes, one was Land. The other was Heath Walker. Anyone know his deal? I know his sister is out in Indiana playing for La Lumiere School, and recently signed with DePaul for next season.

· Registered
3,260 Posts
For those curious, the all-state teams came out today: The Burlington Free Press

Mr. Basketball was from Montpelier, Jonah Cattaneo, had a strange year sandwiched at South Burlington in between it, but anyway, Montpelier won back-to-back DII state titles. He'll probably head to a D3 if he plays college basketball. 6-foot guard. St. J has a 6-7 kid going to Wesleyan. Sharif Sharif also a repeat first-teamer as a junior. Per usual a lot of 6-4 centers in the mix.

I don't know, would have to talk to people more plugged in these days, but there's not an in Vermont scholarship level guy (not counting Bowen who is prepping out of state). Not that there hasn't been success with the walk-on to all-conference pipeline with Rugg and Shungu (it still technically is an exception to the rule), but...I think the last player to take a scholarship right from high school without doing any sort of prep or post-grad was Joe O'Shea and that was 12 years ago?

Not a terrible surprise though, HS age population decreasing here, always the quality of play/lack of opportunity issues, younger kids having way more competing interests for their hobbies than playing sports etc.

· Premium Member
34,712 Posts
Always impressive for a D2 player to be named Mr. Basketball given the #ChittendenCountybias.

Have heard Cattaneo is headed to D3 Lasell University here in Newton.

· Registered
5,157 Posts
For those curious, the all-state teams came out today: The Burlington Free Press

Mr. Basketball was from Montpelier, Jonah Cattaneo, had a strange year sandwiched at South Burlington in between it, but anyway, Montpelier won back-to-back DII state titles. He'll probably head to a D3 if he plays college basketball. 6-foot guard. St. J has a 6-7 kid going to Wesleyan. Sharif Sharif also a repeat first-teamer as a junior. Per usual a lot of 6-4 centers in the mix.

I don't know, would have to talk to people more plugged in these days, but there's not an in Vermont scholarship level guy (not counting Bowen who is prepping out of state). Not that there hasn't been success with the walk-on to all-conference pipeline with Rugg and Shungu (it still technically is an exception to the rule), but...I think the last player to take a scholarship right from high school without doing any sort of prep or post-grad was Joe O'Shea and that was 12 years ago?

Not a terrible surprise though, HS age population decreasing here, always the quality of play/lack of opportunity issues, younger kids having way more competing interests for their hobbies than playing sports etc.
I know people who hadn't seen him had questions about Sharif Sharif and whether he projected out as a D-1 player (my opinion: no, doesn't do enough things really well at this point). But after watching Rice a couple times this year I'm intrigued by his brother Abdi Sharif. Taller, stronger, decent range, and only a freshman so there's that theoretical prospect of a higher ceiling. As always, wait and see, time will tell.

Cattaneo is an interesting choice. Not the wrong one, per se. He was also the Gatorade POY. But it definitely seemed like there was no clear-cut "best player" across the board this year, so I guess he's as good a choice as any (probably the most consistently good player on a really good Montpelier team). If it's true that he's going to Lasell, that is probably a good fit for him level-wise in the GNAC.

· Registered
3,260 Posts
What happened with Kendrick Gray? I can’t find anything showing that he actually played a game at the college level. Seems he went to ETSU and then… nothing?
School wasn't exactly his thing, which is fine, it doesn't have to be. Last I heard he lived in Miami. It kind of became clear after his final season at Rice and VT Academy he wasn't going to develop into anything other than a powerful dunker, which is why all those "offers" he got as a sophomore and junior didn't really formalize, and he had to do the walk on spot at ETSU, where he left before playing.

Bowen on the other hand, he will land at a Power 5. My hope is he goes to a place that has a reputation for building up their guys over time. I actually think Kansas would be a really good landing spot for a guy like him, since they bring in high end talent, get them to stay and develop them for 3-4 years. If not, can always transfer back home or elsewhere. If I'm Becker, I'm still talking to him though, being cool, supportive and positive, and trying to get the old "put us in your final 5-7 just for the hometown rub even if I know you're not coming here, we both look good from this."

· Registered
67 Posts
School wasn't exactly his thing, which is fine, it doesn't have to be. Last I heard he lived in Miami. It kind of became clear after his final season at Rice and VT Academy he wasn't going to develop into anything other than a powerful dunker, which is why all those "offers" he got as a sophomore and junior didn't really formalize, and he had to do the walk on spot at ETSU, where he left before playing.

Bowen on the other hand, he will land at a Power 5. My hope is he goes to a place that has a reputation for building up their guys over time. I actually think Kansas would be a really good landing spot for a guy like him, since they bring in high end talent, get them to stay and develop School wasn't exactly his thing, which is fine, it doesn't have to be. Last I heard he lived in Miami. It kind of became clear after his final season at Rice and VT Academy he wasn't going to develop into anything other than a powerful dunker, which is why all those "offers" he got as a sophomore and junior didn't really formalize, and he had to do the walk on spot at ETSU, where he left before playing.

Bowen on the other hand, he will land at a Power 5. My hope is he goes to a place that has a reputation for building up their guys over time. I actually think Kansas would be a really good landing spot for a guy like him, since they bring in high end talent, get them to stay and develop them for 3-4 years. If not, can always transfer back home or elsewhere. If I'm Becker, I'm still talking to him though, being cool, supportive and positive, and trying to get the old "put us in your final 5-7 just for the hometown rub even if I know you're not coming here, we both look good from this."
My son has some mutual friends with Bowen, so take this for what itsworth.

He practices with and is very close to UVM guys and likes the possibility of being a hometown hero. That being said, his dream school is reportedly Duke (who offered him), he seems to like UConn as well.

I wouldn’t rule out him doing a couple years somewhere else and transferring here.

The overall point is, Vermont isn’t completely out of the picture.

· Registered
CVU Redhawks
1 Posts
I went to the D1 semifinals where Rice played CVU, I was very impressed by Sharif’s scoring (20 points). I am surprised that not more people have mentioned Khalon Taylor (SB ‘22), he scored 1k points in 3 years with South Burlington, he led a young team to the quarter finals, and was all-state 1st team. I believe he is going to D3

· Registered
235 Posts
I went to the D1 semifinals where Rice played CVU, I was very impressed by Sharif’s scoring (20 points). I am surprised that not more people have mentioned Khalon Taylor (SB ‘22), he scored 1k points in 3 years with South Burlington, he led a young team to the quarter finals, and was all-state 1st team. I believe he is going to D3
They look great against Vermont competition. Have you seen them against the better AAU competition?

· Registered
5,157 Posts

This happened over the weekend. A bunch of in state prospects to keep an eye on. Great job by Coach Sam Jackson to develop these kids in his VT Elite AAU Program and getting these boys the recognition to compete on the biggest national stage!
Anyone got a roster or can ID the team photo? Definitely recognize some of the Rice guys, but I don't watch enough HS hoops to know all of them.

· Registered
3,260 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
With the high school season just a few months away I thought I would break the ice. Rice memorial looks like the front runner in winning yet again another championship allowing them to conquer the four peat.
key senior players to keep a eye on this year are.
Eli pockette - rutland D-1
Adam bilodeau- rice D-1
Sawyer Ramey-fair haven D-2
Trevon Bradley-Winooski D-3
Alex provest-cvu D-1
Sharif-rice D-1
Dylan Hamilton-mmu D-1
Mohamed-rice D-1

most realistic scholarship players on that list if they decide to play basketball in college are sharif sharif and Mohamed from rice. These two have been an instant impact ever since they stepped on the court for rice winning three straight championships. Mohamed standing at 6’6 and sharif 6’3. But don’t sleep on the rest of the players on that list a lot of them can fill up that stat sheets and make big plays.

with all the rice stars I wonder if sharif sharif is going to recive the same deal Ben shungu or Michel have taken in the years past up at uvm. Standing at 6’3 sharif has the height and the jump shot to do damage. Going into his senior year does sharif have what it takes to join the club of his fellow rice alumni.

· Registered
245 Posts
With the high school season just a few months away I thought I would break the ice. Rice memorial looks like the front runner in winning yet again another championship allowing them to conquer the four peat.
key senior players to keep a eye on this year are.
Eli pockette - rutland D-1
Adam bilodeau- rice D-1
Sawyer Ramey-fair haven D-2
Trevon Bradley-Winooski D-3
Alex provest-cvu D-1
Sharif-rice D-1
Dylan Hamilton-mmu D-1
Mohamed-rice D-1

most realistic scholarship players on that list if they decide to play basketball in college are sharif sharif and Mohamed from rice. These two have been an instant impact ever since they stepped on the court for rice winning three straight championships. Mohamed standing at 6’6 and sharif 6’3. But don’t sleep on the rest of the players on that list a lot of them can fill up that stat sheets and make big plays.

with all the rice stars I wonder if sharif sharif is going to recive the same deal Ben shungu or Michel have taken in the years past up at uvm. Standing at 6’3 sharif has the height and the jump shot to do damage. Going into his senior year does sharif have what it takes to join the club of his fellow rice alumni.
What happened to heath walker from rice? Quit basketball?

341 - 360 of 382 Posts