Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Vermont HS BBall prospect discussion

111K views 424 replies 54 participants last post by  GoCatsGo 
#1 ·
Bored and the other thread the title has 2 guys in who are either gone or will be after the next year or so but also it has turned into something different (AJ was wrong!! haha), also UVM fans havent make a new thread in a while to piss off everyone else and we need to do this everyone, unite! anyway old thread for reference: http://www.basketballforum.com/amer...13-vermont-hs-prospects-v-cobzaru-k-gray.html

Actually had a convo with my friend who is in the HS scene coaching just discussing a few things he gave me a few names to watch outside who we know. Of course many of these guys likely won't amount to any sort of UVM material but never know. Just look at the old thread. "some 6-5 kid from North Country" that nobody had heard of ended up becoming the best player in the state.

Here my take using some of friend's input:

Ben Shungu, Rice - Big year for him. Still believe he could earn a scholarship somewhere or at least get a walk on opportunity. He'll be man at Rice and probably be fine go for a 3-peat.

James Wells, Worcester Academy - apparent Canisius offer. No idea how he developing because he is prepping and plays on competitive team. Will be interesting how year goes for him. Part of me wonders could he be guy that has Clancy trajectory?

Tinga Adiang, Vermont Academy - getting NESCAC looks likely ends up at that type of school.

Eli DeGrande, Essex - 6-6 athlete, skill, frame but now would say he's second-best state player at HS level not prep probably D3 also QB of football team.

Perry DeLorenzo, Exeter - good shooter mom is Midd field hockey coach. Sounds like academic D3 route being taken.

Kendrick Gray, Vermont Academy - matter of what level D1 he go. Should use prep to improve defense because he did none of it at Rice and would let VT kids go by him sometimes or Rice just put him on the block needs to guard guards now. Still say going power conference not good fit for him but could compete level down from that and at mid level he'd be fine. Not UVM for various reasons discussed.

Kevin Garrison, Burlington - Nice looking player pretty good athlete. One to watch.

Elliot Nelson, Rice - Honeslty dont remember him but friend said he's good, so I trust him.

Friend mentioned some kid from Essex who is going to be a rising freshman this year, already 5-11/6ft dont remember the name though that and also who the hell knows how a kid adjust from middle to high school.

See less See more
#2 ·
Other players to keep an eye on, according to New England Recruiting Report, also include 2016s Josh Hale and Asmin Mostarlic from Burlington and U-32's Jackson McCoy (the 3-4-5 non-prep players behind Shungu and DeGrande) and 2017s Kujim Hashani from Burlington and Enosburg's Calvin Carter (top 2 non-prep players).

#3 ·
James Wells attended the Providence Elite Camp where there were a number of much higher-ranked D1 prospects and he had a really positive write-up. I would think he'd be a good local prospect for us.

#4 ·
Tinga is going to go to St. Lawrence. Committed there yesterday. Nice choice, SLU has a lot of Vermonters playing sports there and a big alumni base in VT, too.

I think someone mentioned it before, but DeGrande is going to St. Mike's to play basketball.

High school hoops season starts relatively soon, I think within a week of when the kids get back from Thanksgiving break.

#5 ·
Kendrick Gray scored 1pt and 10pts in first two VT Academy games. VT Academy has a stacked team, to say the least. Starting five has two kids committed to Xavier and Miami.

#7 ·
Any interesting potential players from the underclassmen in the state? Doesn't seem like there's many prospects by way of upperclassmen- I guess Shungu and DiGrande (D2-St Mike's) are the two best seniors, correct?

#8 ·
I predict BHS will win the D1 state title and sophomore Kevin Garrison is one to watch. He played extremely well in the championship game last season as a freshmen. He also was asked to guard Kendrick Gray.

He had a very productive football season as a running back and seems to be an all around tremendous athlete.

#9 ·
I think BHS is well coached and practically have their major pieces back. Garrison is the best undergrad prospect in my opinion kid is athletic. Rice every year is talented but it will all depend on how they play together. Not sure they have the size or experience other than Shungu but I think he'll have a big year. Also I'm interested if he'll look to D1 schools or prep? Anyone in the Rice community that can comment? Essex can probably surprise a lot of people Eli plays well with another guard who can actually get him the ball. they beat St J by 2 pts from what I saw. Any word on rutland? I dont know if they really lost anyone. I can predict another RICE BURLINGTON matchup but am hoping for a somewhat interesting season.

#11 ·
Most people are aware of this doesnt mean can't be discuss. Remember Grey at one point was "that kid from North Country" that nobody knew about never know who that might be in future, is there some kid at like Randolph we don't know about who could be that? this is why we talk but nobody is delusion to think these guys are all gonna be turn out for UVM
DeGrandde is nice pickup for St Mikes though I think he can be pretty good there.

#18 ·
#19 ·
Besides Rice/Burlington is there any HS basketball game even worth watching in the entire state of Vermont?

I just read Rice beat CVU 55-23 and CVU only made 1 basket the entire first half and led 30-3 at halftime. I had to re-read that a couple times.

Keep in mind Gray doesn't even play at Rice anymore, and also keep in mind CVU is the second largest school in the state.

Just brutal.

#20 · (Edited)
So finally got to see Kendrick Gray play for Vermont Academy- my thoughts:

Definitely talented. You can tell he's really transitioning from playing Vermont HS basketball to top-level prep school against other D1 players each game. Still figuring it out on defense- you can tell he never had to D anyone up at Rice- and does not appear to be much of a rebounder. Wouldn't say right now he has the greatest "motor" and isn't physical more of a finesse player. That could be just who he is or could've the drastic difference in competition.

That all being said, he's super long and athletic. Has a nice looking shot. Finished nicely at the rim a few times. Needs to be more assertive, hardly looked to shoot- thought he was 4th most talented player on VA behind the Miami kid, Christian David, and Xavier kid. Needs to look for his offense more, but I imagine this is a big transition year.

Definitely a D1 player but I really have no idea how high he could go- he's still pretty raw in some respects but ceiling could be pretty high. He could easily play in AE- probably his floor.

Thought Bruce Brown for VA was solid but surprised he's at the level of Miami/Indiana. Christian David has a great looking outside shot and is a legit 6'7". Kind of a soft player and didn't have much of a handle or could really attack the hoop- but a legit 6'7" SG will attract the BCS schools.

#21 ·
Although CVU (surprisingly, considering their enrollment) has never been good at basketball. Other big Chittenden County schools (Essex, SBHS) have struggled over the years too. Maybe Rice has been recruiting...umm, 100% ethically enrolling some of their best potential players over the years.

Haven't been to a game yet this year, but imagine I'll get out at some point. Unfortunately I probably won't get a look at this mystery kid from Mount Anthony anytime soon.

#22 ·
very true think about it over years Cieplicki from Shelburne that is CVU, Shungu Winooski, and then a vast majority of Rice rotation kids from SB. Also CVU and SB it just seem have different priorities mainly soccer and that is okay, though Rice did with a soccer title with a bunch of recrui...i mean "recently enroll" kids.

And hoop cat yeah a lot of them can be blowouts but usually you go to see one or two players on one team at least i do. it is like when UVM hockey plays and Jack Eichel was at BU alst year they whooped UVM ass but Eichel was magic and you just appreciate that. Of course on much lesser scale VT HS hoop wise.
Well if nobody see Mt Anthony kid in regular season they always end up in title convo as southern rep team so perhaps Patrick in March.

Also very much agree with Kendrick assessments. Going to 2017 will help him because he is going to need full year to realize how to defend Rice guarded his inefficiency at D the whole time he was there and Shungu grabbed all the rebounds so he has to realize D is serious to be a serious D1 player

#24 ·
Not totally shocked, re: Rutland/Rice. Rutland is solid, a lot of good overall athletes (football state champs this year for those who don't follow). Kyle Cassarino, who was their starting RB, is better at hoops. Good guard, shoots well.

I saw Burlington last night. Balanced is a good word: a lot of depth for a team at this level. Their backcourt is strong: athletic, good ball-handlers. Asmin Mostalic is a match-up problem with his size and range. He probably has a lower ceiling than any of the top players on that team, but he might be actually playing better than anyone on his team. They good.

#25 ·
Rutland team is tough I believe they were the only 1 loss Rice had last year. I think with BHS they have the best coach in the state knows adjustments and they match up well. Seems like all you have to do is double Shungu I didn't see anyone else for Rice look decent other than the elliott kid. Burlington is my favorite to win it all but MAU seems to be making some noise. Kind of like Burr n Burton who made a good run at patrick but didn't turn out so well once they faced teams with legitmate players. Not sure who I would pick as a sleeper team since I haven't really gotten a chance to go to any of the games besides MMU/SB. Anyone else have a team we don't know about?

#28 ·
I actually went to the Rice game last night. I'm not going to get into the game of "Is he a D1 player?" (if only one D1 school wants you, you're still a D1 player...), but Shungu looked clearly in a class by himself. Good motor, played hard on both ends, has really thrown it all on his back now that he's not really sharing the spotlight. He's filled out too, he looked more like a college basketball player. Might still benefit from a PG year, but he's probably pretty comparable to where, say, Tyrone Conley was at this point in his career.

#30 ·
Yeah, Conley was a better overall athlete at this stage, but I think skill-wise they're pretty close (Conley used that athleticism to hide some stuff at the HS level, in my opinion). Shungu threw down last night: stole it in the backcourt, went up one-hand on a break-away. He can elevate.

#33 ·
Conley was the one that got away. What a motor. I remember him mostly from AAU and how he just got stronger as the weekends went along. Saw him dominate against great competition in DC and again in Providence with Lonergan watching. I thought Lonergan was there protecting his prize. Wrong.

#34 ·
He was there to see much better/higher ranked players to be sure. Lonergan was always playing chess while the rest of the coaches were playing connect four.

George Washington is currently ranked 20th in the country btw.

#35 ·
As for Shungu, he looks much different since I last saw him. He's way more physical looks like he's added muscle and his agility has improved. He rose for that dunk on that steal awfully quick. Doesn't look like a below the rim player like he used to.

I'd be all for adding him as a walk-on.

#39 ·
Conley was really athletic, could drive, couldn't really dribble or shoot, but he did put up 1000pts on bad New Hampshire teams. He would have been a nice rotation player on our Vermont teams, but I never once felt we "missed out" on Conley.

#41 ·
What was the decision to take Bergmann at the time I never really knew? I thought Bergman was above avg at best nice touch around the rim and the potential he could have with his size but I don't really remember him at UVM. I personally would've taken Tyrone out of the two could've been a nice addition in the backcour but I also understand the decision not to go with him as i agree they didn't really 'miss' out.

I don't think SMC offered shungu but maybe a D2 or D1 school? It would be somewhat public knowledge i feel like but still a long season so I"m not surprised if some schools start showing interest. I still think he benefits from a year at prep but a full ride is a full ride if he thinks he's ready. We'll see as the season goes and evidently Patrick Gym is the spotlight if they make it. I've been hearing a lot of good things about MAU (6'6 forward handles the ball well and Senior guards) and I know burlington and Rice play them around the beginning of January. It's a saturday game so I'm sure there will be some coaches to watch both teams then.