Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

201 - 209 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I think when we took 16 minutes off from playing offense, that was our undoing. You know, if I had to point to one thing.

After the game last night, someone said they wouldn't be surprised if these teams followed a game played in the 70s/80s with one played in the 50s/60s. Whoever that was must be super smart...and handsome...and have a million friends.

Honestly, I think both teams were worse than they were last night. UMBC just took a significantly smaller step back, while UVM dropped off the Wile E. Coyote cliff. A bunch of reasons for that: fatigue, UMBC's physical defense...or some nights you just kinda suck. It was kind of a bad basketball casserole for us.

One thing that jumps off the boxscore that is really frustrating: UMBC with 32 FT attempts, UVM with 19. I'm not going where you think with this: this isn't about officiating quality. Rather it's about being aggressive on the offensive end and trying to actively get to the line, and trying to find a way to defend them in the paint on the defensive end. UMBC had 1.45 FTAs per foul committed by UVM. In large part because they (read: Akin) was getting position under the rim and our choices were let him score, or foul him...and let him score from there. Conversely UVM had 1 FTA per foul committed by UMBC. And it wasn't because we were getting And-1's. This is a must-fix if we're fortunate enough to see them again.

But re: officiating, I do think Davis got squeezed a little which obviously was a HUGE detriment to us.

All this said, getting a sweep this weekend was a big ask. It's a bummer to lose the #1 seed on a tiebreaker, but the rules are the rules, they're set out at the beginning and they're fair for everyone. UMBC did what they needed to do and earned it. On one hand, there was never a year where I felt better about having to win a road game at UMBC in the title game. On the other, we have a semifinal to worry about first. It's not often we get a year where (in my opinion, anyway) the gap between 1-4 is this tight, and there's a good chance we'll have to play a team we haven't played this year which is a helluva wild card for a conference tourney game. Let's hope we can spend the next two weeks getting healthy and staying healthy.

·
Premium Member
33,443 Posts
Davis with 4 fouls with like 14min left was tough.

Reactions: GoCatsGo

·
UMBC fan
4,119 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Four thoughts
1.This has become a truly great rivalry
2. UMBC earned the #1 seed. My eyeballs say Game 1 was closer than the score , Game 2 was not as close.
3. Odom/UMBC discombobulates UVM's offense. It happens a lot. Hoping if there is a (likely) Game 3, UVM rises to the occasion like the past two playoffs and gets it done
4. Not to make excuses for UVM, but 4 games in 7 days is tough. They looked a bit out of gas last night. Now 2 weeks off. It is a weird season. Happy to have basketball and teams have to play when they are scheduled, but still...Maybe I am just talking myself off the proverbial ledge

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
It's not often we get a year where (in my opinion, anyway) the gap between 1-4 is this tight, and there's a good chance we'll have to play a team we haven't played this year which is a helluva wild card for a conference tourney game. Let's hope we can spend the next two weeks getting healthy and staying healthy.
If that doesn't speak to the weirdness that has been the 2020-21 college hoops season, I don't know what else would. I mean, 2 teams that didn't face each other a single time during a regular season will most likely meet for the first time in the conference tournament semifinals. Even in these current times of unbalanced conference schedules, you at least see every conference member once.

2020-21...

201 - 209 of 209 Posts