Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the scouting report experts? I'm not too familiar with MSU this year and was too happy last night to watch any of the ODU game.

BTW: Does anybody have an extra ticket or two? Willing to pay cash$$$

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great Win UVM !!!! You make the front page of the Los Angeles Times sports section! This is not one of the Spartons better BB teams. Even the Hoosiers managed to beat MSU in Bloomington. This looks like a great opportunity for the Cats. PS:Though I live on the left coast, I am from Barre.

·
Registered
855 Posts
ill give you my report as a State fan ( i am no expert or anything)

MSU is very athletic and very deep in the wing positions. Pual Davis is a very good post player but is often tentative and we do not have much big man depth. all of our top 7 are good shooters and can hit the three. the key to msu as it has been in the past three years is point guard play. Drew Neitzal has a lot of talent and shows flashes but is a true freshman and is prone to mistakes. Chris Hill is having the worst year of his career, his shot is not falling but prior to this year he was one of the best 3point shooters in msu history. If neitzal can control the mistakes and hill hits his open shots msu can beat anyone, when they dont we struggle.

could someone do something like this for vermont, i am only aware of coppenrath?

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Michigan State is quick in the backcourt and athletic at 4 of the 5 positions. I'm not a big Paul Davis fan, but he's going to have to play tough to stop TC. If he gets in foul trouble, as he did against ODU, MSU could be in trouble. MSU does have some physical guys who can push TC around a bit.

Michigan State's athleticism impressed me against ODU, but they seemed to have a propensity to geta little lazy on D and give some silly fouls.

I think Alex Loughton and TC are somewhat similar, and Loughton had to work hard to get his points, and MSU's physicality forced him a few feet further back from the hoop as he normally did.

ODU had quick guards and MSU had a little trouble with their handle. I think Sorrentine could have a big game against the MSU guards, as he could give them some problems with his shooting. I think if TJ drives a little against MSU he could get them in foul trouble.

I think UVM is going to give MSU some problems, but if only 4 UVM guys score again, I'd say MSU will win.

·
Registered
122 Posts
UVM fans- be sure to pick up a copy of the NY Dailynews today. Back page is a photo of the UVM celebration with X-Cused written on it. Nice team pic.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The name of their story is "Catamounts Howling".

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
The Sagarin ratings favored Syracuse by 6 over Vermont.

I just checked and the Sagarins favor Michigan State by 5 over Vermont.

Should be a close game......

dream the dream........sweet 16

·
Registered
453 Posts
boy would that be something.. i think we can do it, especially if our defense is as tight as it was yesterday.. it should be a great one.. GO CATS GO!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Dino Radja said:
UVM fans- be sure to pick up a copy of the NY Dailynews today. Back page is a photo of the UVM celebration with X-Cused written on it. Nice team pic.
NY Daily News photo same as Newsday

·
Registered
31 Posts
I too enjoyed the picture on the back of Newsday. Yet today the NY area has to watch UNC play Iowa State. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Go Catamounts!!!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Rob O,
I'm in the NY area also and the best thing ever for this tourney if you don't have DirectTV is the CSTV.COM package you can purchase for $19.95. You can watch all the games from your computer and the feed is pretty good. The only games you can't see are the ones that are the feature game in your area. Totally worth the $19.95.

·
Registered
341 Posts
just back from the game, some thoughts:

the positives:

-Sorrentine, enough said.

-the bench: Duell looked solid. Shneider held his own in his bried time, as well as Kyle Cyplickitifdfj or whatever you spell it. (explination below)

-the UVM section(s). Way to represent your school. You guys were the loudest fans at Worcester, and UConn is 5 times closer.

-TJ/TC's last game. I applauded them (actually all of the starters but Hehn) when they were introduced today. They deserved it for entertaining me for the last 5 years in the AE.

-the refs: one of the best officiating crews I've seen. Far from perfect, but REALLY consistant. By the end of the game you knew exactly what was being called and what wasnt (unlike the 'Cuse game were McNamera was about to lose his mind).

some negatives:

-the casual (bandwagon) fans
. Your 2 best players are seniors, your beloved coach is retiring, and you leave with 1:30 left? I saw so many UVM shirts leave near me (behind the hoop). I know the better fans were in the big section to the side of the court and up top, but man, I couldnt believe some of the yuppies leaving early. Looks like the corporate sports 'fans' have even latched on to UVM.

-the uneducated: the guy behind me (routing for UVM) was an idiot. Again I know he was in the minority, but he was going on and on about the refs handing MSU the game. These refs were great. He was getting mad they kept calling Klimes and Duell for the hand check (which were the right calls, he (klimes) got away with it vs 'Cuse). This guy also stated before the game Davis was the worst bball player he knew of and all game long was screaming at the UVM bemch that they were letting a 'scrub' beat them. Oy.

-David Hehn. Not a bad AE player when he has the supporting cast, but as I predicted to my friends, he was exploited big time as a terrible (offensive) player. Its like UVM is playing shorthanded on O when he's on the court. He's not confident in his shot, gets flustered inside, cant pass and cant dribble. 'Cuse killed him with the press, and Mich St. used it effectively as well, forcing TJ to take the ball up every time. Hehn also had a lovely hip check on the Mich St. player sending him into the press table in the 2nd half. On the other hand Schneider and Cyplicki can at least dribble (and Schneider can shoot), so you cant corner them/press as easy. You actually have to respect the fact they can move the ball, unlike Hehn who you can really go after and force him into dumb plays.

-Brennan. The guy before the game sat on the UVM bench for about 1 minute. He then went over to the crowd behind him and hugged someone (OK, I candeal with that). He then walked all the way to the top of the UVM section in the crowd on the other side of the stadium, UMM, HELLO! YOU HAD A GAME TO COACH! (ok, i know he doesnt 'coach')... really it bugged me he would do that. Totally unprofessional in my book, but then again he was never known to be professional. I'm cool with a wave to the crowd, or a friend, etc... but 7 minutes before game time dont walk up 25 rows just so the yellow shirts can cheer for you.

---------
as I said in the otehr thread. Congrats UVM. You did more than anyone outside of the AE schools/Vermont expected. You stole the attention from BC. Thats good in my book, seeing as we likely wont play you for a good chunk of time.

·
Premium Member
33,518 Posts
I just wanted to comment on what an excellent player Paul Davis is. I watched the ODU/Michigan State game Friday and was very impressed with him. If he wasn't on a team that had basically 5 wing guards in Torbert, Ager, Anderson, Brown, and Hill who all wanted to shoot and drive and he had more touches he could certainly be a 17-22 ppg scorer. He is athletic and can run the court. Coppenrath hopefully took a note on his conditioning, because if TC wants to make any impact at the next level he will need to be in much better shape. I think Coppenrath has more offensive talent but Davis is in so much better shape, and that was pretty clear watching the game yesterday.

Kudos to Paul Davis, you looked great against UVM and ODU. I think he can play in the NBA for sure.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
black0ut said:
-Brennan. The guy before the game sat on the UVM bench for about 1 minute. He then went over to the crowd behind him and hugged someone (OK, I candeal with that). He then walked all the way to the top of the UVM section in the crowd on the other side of the stadium, UMM, HELLO! YOU HAD A GAME TO COACH! (ok, i know he doesnt 'coach')... really it bugged me he would do that. Totally unprofessional in my book, but then again he was never known to be professional. I'm cool with a wave to the crowd, or a friend, etc... but 7 minutes before game time dont walk up 25 rows just so the yellow shirts can cheer for you.
For what it's worth, I was in Buffalo for last year's game vs Connecticut and he did the same thing. The UVM fans loved it. I realize that it is unorthodox behavior for a coach, but what the heck......who was hurt by TB doing that?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Old_Cat_Fan said:
For what it's worth, I was in Buffalo for last year's game vs Connecticut and he did the same thing. The UVM fans loved it. I realize that it is unorthodox behavior for a coach, but what the heck......who was hurt by TB doing that?

well, the team didnt exactly win. It hurts the team more, I know (the team) was used to him doing things like this, but if I'm a player I'd like to think my coach was more focused on the game, and taking it more seriously.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Not when you've been a Vermont player for 4 years and you know the X's and O's and gameplan don't go through TB. I'd be more concerned if Jesse Agel was doing that.

But TB was the PR Figurehead and I thought he did a brilliant PR job in the Syracuse pre-game press conferences calling Mopa-Njila a 6'4 engineer going against a 6'8 NBA lottery pick.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts