Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
We don't need Albany's scraps, no offense, but I'd like to think that Maine's womens program is on a different level.

I'd rather see an assistant from the Big 10/SEC.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Kelly Cole would be a great hire, IMHO. I've had a couple of former BC hoop players work for me and they all speak volumes about her. She apparently was a finalist at NU when Ian McCaw mistakenly hired Willette White.

Karla Berube would be a good hire as well, but might not be a high profile enough choice to satisft the Maine Women's Hoops snobs. ;)

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
While Maine has not had the success in the conference tournament of late, its a deserved snobbery when compared to the rest of AE.

It has to be when its disappointing that you dont run the table in the conference.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something about the recently filled Providence job must have turned Kelly C. away from it. Is Kelly looking at the Stony Brook opening?
I think Maine would be a good fit for Kelly. She has good recruiting ties to NE.
BU and HArtford will still be the teams to beat unless the new Maine coach brings in some JUCOs or international players. :rock:

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Maine doesn't really recruit New England, other than Maine:

x-Maine 3
New Jersey 2
Delaware 1
Florida 1
New York 1
Pennsylvania 1
Minnesota 1
Virginia 1
Illinois 1
x-Massachusetts 1

·
Registered
564 Posts
Am I missing something? Coach P getting the MSU job made all the sense in the world. In the case of Versyp I'm wondering exactly what they've seen in her years at Maine that makes them think she's ready for what is a really big step up.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Kelly Cole

Continuing with the "AE Jobs She Didn't Get" theme, Cole was a finalist at UVM when they hired Sharon Dawley. I wasn't really convinced she was ready for the AE at the time, but this was 2 years ago...and I *still* thought she was a better choice than Dawley.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Maine newspapers have been quiet over the last few days with regard to filling the vacancy. It is a shame that whoever gets this job will not be able to recruit off campus until July.
Kera Leary has no Div. 1 coaching experience. She does know talent in NE. Whoever gets this job will have to keep the best Maine kids @ home. I think that the coach at Merrimack should be someone to consider along with the assistant at BC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts