Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's nothing going on right now in the NBA so we might as speculate while the rosters look relatively set.

MVP:

LeBron
Durant
Kobe
Paul
Dwight

Are pretty much the only five I could see nabbing it at this point. LeBron will likely be the best player in the world but this is a historically unreliable award that doesn't always go to the most deserving. I could see Durant grabbing his first, he's been the runner up for what, three years now? I know he was at least in '10 and last year. He's the media darling at this point and heads and shoulders above everyone else not named LeBron.

The bottom three aren't likely but I still think they have a fighters chance. They've all three got things going for and against them. Kobe is a year older and it's debatable as to whether he's the best player on his team, but on the other hand he's playing with a great play maker for the first time ever and the Lakers are likely to have a great regular season record. Paul will have the impact factor for the Clippers who will probably take another step forward next year, but he also has injury concerns and it remains to be seen if Griffin will be ready to go when the season starts. Dwight has the benefit of the best supporting cast he's ever been blessed with, but he's also the antichrist in the media and it's debatable whether he's better than Kobe or not.

Rose would be in the second category if he was healthy. Actually I'd probably put him above Kobe if he was 100%.

Pick: Durant

DPOY:

Dwight
Tyson
LeBron
Iggy
Ibaka

Hopefully Dwight wins this for obvious reasons. Chandler has asserted himself as one of the premire anchors in the league. LeBron is one of the best team defenders I have ever seen out of perimeter players and is the most important cog in a championship defense. Iggy is similar to LeBron, but is a better man defender. Ibaka will have the numbers to back it up but not the substance.

Pick: Dwight

All NBA Teams

First:
Paul
Kobe
Durant
LeBron
Dwight

Second:
Westbrook
Rondo
Love
Dirk
Bynum

Third:
Parker
Wade
Anthony
Iggy
Chandler

I'll edit this post later with the ROY, 6MOY, and all defense teams.

·
Will of Chilltown
3,722 Posts
Kobe can win it if the Lakers finish with the best record in the league by a good margins of wins. 65+ I guess?

No that won't happen, If Lakers win 65+ which they will definitely NOT do, they will be looking at Dwight Howard not Kobe for MVP. With the huge upgrade in Win's and best record...they won't look at Kobe for that because Lakers were a little above average last year, adding Dwight howard and the win's sky rocket...they look at Dwight for being the catalyst.

MVP

Lebron
Durant
CP3
Love
Westbrook

DPOY

Lebron
Ibaka
Dwight
Chandler
A.I.

Rookie

Davis

6th Man

Harden

MIP

dont care

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts
Kobe can win it if the Lakers finish with the best record in the league by a good margins of wins. 65+ I guess?
The Lakers could win 72 games and he still won't win the MVP award nor will he deserve it. He's clearly not the best player in the league anymore, hasn't been since 2009. He's not the lone star who would be the only reason as to why the Lakers win all of these games. The Lakers have a stacked line up, with the possible argument being made that Artest could be somewhat of a weakness but despite this he's still a productive player, especially on defense.

The MVP award will probably go to Lebron again which wouldn't surprise me. But if not him, then either Durant or maybe Howard. The only new person that I could see that would be able to be considered for it who hasn't been yet would be Kevin Love, and even then he would still need to up his scoring, his rebounding a little and improve his defense, so for now I don't see that happening.

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,586 Posts
Kobe will probably be hurt by having Dwight in the lineup. If Dwight is healthy he can certainly be a top candidate. Dude was arguably the best player in the league two years ago with that shitty supporting cast. If he can return to form he'll have the record to warrant an MVP. Something he didn't have in years past. Dwight has to opportunity to win both MVP and DPOY in the same year. I hope he does it. :D

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
If Kobe is the leading scorer with a high FG% (50+) by a good margin, it will go to him.

If Lakers finish with a better record than Heat (let`s say by more than 5 wins), why would Lebron get the MVP? He isn't the lone star either.

I'm not saying he is deserving because he is the best player in the league, he is not on either count but MVP history has shown that it goes to the player with the best stats on the best team.

I don't see Kobe winning but I think that is the only likely scenario that he can win it.

·
8,475 Posts
If Kobe is the leading scorer with a high FG% (50+) by a good margin, it will go to him.
Never going to happen so you can forget about Kobe winning it, and even if that did happen, it still wouldn't go to him. It didn't go to him when he was averaging 35 points and obviously the best scorer we have had since Michael Jordan, it's not going to happen this year. He doesn't have the same effect other players do on a team.

If Lakers finish with a better record than Heat (let`s say by more than 5 wins), why would Lebron get the MVP? He isn't the lone star either.
Because Lebron doesn't need to score a lot to be effective on offense, Kobe does. There's a reason why Kobe didn't win MVP in 05-07. Having the best record won't change that, because everyone will know that it's because of the fact that Kobe has a great team surrounding him. With the edition of Howard, you can be damn well sure that Kobe's scoring numbers are going to go down, especially since he won't be having the ball as much now that Steve Nash is on the team.

I'm not saying he is deserving because he is the best player in the league, he is not on either count but MVP history has shown that it goes to the player with the best stats on the best team.
Oh really? If I recall, Kareem's 4th MVP award came when he was on a team that didn't even make it to the playoffs, and his 5th came with a team that did make the playoffs but clearly weren't the best team (in terms of talent and record). Kobe's MVP award happened in the year that the Celtics had the best record, and a lot of people question whether or not Kobe deserved to be the MVP that year (I honestly don't think he did).

Clearly you don't understand why someone actually gets the MVP award. The impact that they make on the floor is what factors into whether or not someone wins the MVP award, not their teams record. The Cavs record while it was the best they had in franchise history and was the best in the NBA in 2009, it wasn't the reason why Lebron won the MVP award, Lebron won it because his stats improved once again (...well, sort of), and he became an elite defender that year, finishing in second in the defensive player of the year award voting. The record of the team the individual is on is the last thing that matters, especially when you're a shooting guard who specializes in scoring. Hell, Lebron finished second in the MVP voting in 2005, I don't need to remind you that the Cavs weren't the best team that season, not even close.

I don't see Kobe winning but I think that is the only likely scenario that he can win it.
The only way he's winning it is if his assist numbers go up, his steal and block numbers go up, and he somehow wins defensive player of the year or is close to winning it. Otherwise he's not winning it because we already know his scoring isn't going to be the same and everyone is well aware of the talent on his team. Lebron's a completely different story because he has the ability to be effective at an elite level on a consistent basis, Kobe has never had his entire career.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts

I think if the Lakers won 65 games Kobe wouldn't get it. Even if he was their best player, Nash and Dwight will get a lot of the credit.

Now that being said, if the Lakers win 65 with Dwight being the best player Dwight can win it. Kind of like how Barkley did as the new comer to his team in 92.

·
Registered
502 Posts
MIP: Lin could be the popular choice, especially if he ends up playing 40 minutes and stays healthy, maybe makes a few more stories along the way.

Turner could be in the mix somewhat, although the incoming J-Rich and Young are looking like road blocks.

·
8,475 Posts
MVP - Kevin Durant
DPOTYA - Kevin Garnett
ROTYA - Damian Lillard
Only way Durant is winning MVP over Lebron is if he develops more in other areas that aren't scoring. Otherwise no sane person is going to pick him.

·
Tangible
14,515 Posts
Kobe isn't winning MVP. He looked half dead during the Olympics.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Is Lebron James his generations Wilt Chamberlain? Remarkably similar talents with not too dissimilar mental makeups, judging by their respective first few years in the league, anyway. Wilt essentially 'folded' in the '68 ECFs, a year after he won his first ever championship. One ring evidently satisfied his thirst. Not surprising considering his aloof, ambivalent attitude towards the sport he dominated. He wasn't hyper competitive, either. He didn't have the 'MJ' gene.

Is Lebron still hungry?

You cannot adequately make predictions without answering that question.

·
Rip City
21,400 Posts
Only way Durant is winning MVP over Lebron is if he develops more in other areas that aren't scoring. Otherwise no sane person is going to pick him.
Last year during the regular season Kevin Durant had a great argument to win the MVP. Kevin Durant is only 23 years old. You really think he's peaking at 23 in the league, and won't continue to get better ? His all around game saw huge improvements last season. He now defends the other teams best player, and held his own quite well. He's seeing the game much more wide open, his passing clearly is evident of that last season. Nobody would be remotely insane if they voted for Kevin Durant if he continues to improve, like he has each and every season. The gap isn't that great between James and Durant.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Last year during the regular season Kevin Durant had a great argument to win the MVP. Kevin Durant is only 23 years old. You really think he's peaking at 23 in the league, and won't continue to get better ? His all around game saw huge improvements last season. He now defends the other teams best player, and held his own quite well. He's seeing the game much more wide open, his passing clearly is evident of that last season. Nobody would be remotely insane if they voted for Kevin Durant if he continues to improve, like he has each and every season. The gap isn't that great between James and Durant.
It was in the Finals. It was huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts