Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Miami trades: SG Eddie Jones (18.3 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 3.2 apg in 39.0 minutes)
PG Mike James (2.8 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 1.3 apg in 7.9 minutes)
Miami receives: SG Wesley Person (15.1 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 2.2 apg in 35.8 minutes)
PF Stromile Swift (11.8 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 26.5 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +5.8 ppg, +4.5 rpg, and -1.6 apg.

Memphis trades: SG Wesley Person (15.1 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 2.2 apg in 35.8 minutes)
PF Stromile Swift (11.8 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 26.5 minutes)
Memphis receives: SG Eddie Jones (18.3 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 3.2 apg in 81 games)
PG Mike James (2.8 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 1.3 apg in 15 games)
Change in team outlook: -5.8 ppg, -4.5 rpg, and +1.6 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Miami and Memphis being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Miami and Memphis had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have been assigned Trade ID number 793912

Ok now, this is just something i came up with. i would expect that if this deal was actually seriously considered, there would be a future first round draft pick or something else added in. The logic is as follows:
For the grizz, this is a no-brainer. they are getting an all-star shooting guard who is one of the best defenders in the league. they are giving up a guy with tremendous talent, and another with a big salary that is ending its term next year - a commodity that interestingly enough is becoming more and more valuable considering the free agents available next season. Truthfully, the grizz arent giving up much of their core or their talent, aside from swift.
For the magic, it allows them to do a number of different things. First, they lose Jones long contract, which is more important considering again the free agents of next year. They gain Person, a veteran player who can definately contribute, coming off his best statisical year as a player. They are also getting swift, a young big man with loads of talent, which is more defensive minded (which riley will like) and under riley should be able to hone his defensive game, which very well could become his calling card.

If I remember correctly, Zo's contract expires next year, freeing up 18 million in cap space. most likely, he wont sign again for that much. so if the heat will lose zo's and jones' contract at the same time (persons expires next year), they would have a TON of cap room, i tried to work it out, i may be wrong , but before zo signs they will have over 25 million dollars in cap space!!!!!! put ZO in for 6 (he said he'll sign for cheaper) and that still leaves close to 20 milllion, more than enough for tim duncan and even another player asking for the max.

This deal helps both teams out immensely. i think they should do it.

PS if dickerson actually plays well this year, we can always move him, or give him to detroit for our draft pick or something :D

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
I like the idea but Jerry West doesnt like Eddie anymore and even with that trade to happen you would have 2 high salaried guys with one of them coming ff the bench and West wont like that idea

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
true, but if dickerson comes back in full force, we may be able to do a three-way or something and get rid of him too and add a backup center or something..... just thinking outside the box here...

and i thought jerry west liked eddie jones?!? i may be wrong but wasnt he singing his praises about jones just the other day. he did draft him after all.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Grizzlies already have four point guards, what would they possibly want or do with another?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts