Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice game tonight. I think I see a little Detlef Schrempf in that boy. Vik's got a ways to go before he's as good as Detlef, but he seems to have the hoops IQ and hustle...who knows?

We should be so lucky.

Go Blazers

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
I would be ecstatic if Viktor has an NBA career like Detlef.....Detlef was money at the end of games in his sonics days.....

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
He did have a very good game tonight. Very encouraging.

He just hustles and hustles and hustles all game long... :woot:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Any rook that can score 20+ in a NBA game has potential.

Here's to a good work ethic! :gopray: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I haven't caught many games as of late, but whenever I see clips and him run the floor...it definatley reminds me of Scrempf...which if he turns out to be anywhere near as good....would simply be awesome.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
The emergence of Viktor and Outlaw at the very least should mean bye bye Ruben, IMO.

Both guys can fill the hustle role with much better shooting and way more upside than Ruben. Plus, Ruben's value is probably at an all-time high since he filled in so well as a starter this season.

Miles might be as good as gone too, but we'll see... if he can start finally playing some consistent ball, he would be worth keeping.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Rubens value was up before the trade deadline, but I dont think him not playing the whole second half of the season is helping his trade value....

If I was Portland management I would be looking to trade Ruben away in the offseason to a legit playoff contending team in hopes of getting thier 1st rounder....I see many valuable players going in the late 1st round and early 2nd in this draft....

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
Rubens value was up before the trade deadline, but I dont think him not playing the whole second half of the season is helping his trade value....

If I was Portland management I would be looking to trade Ruben away in the offseason to a legit playoff contending team in hopes of getting thier 1st rounder....I see many valuable players going in the late 1st round and early 2nd in this draft....
I think you've got it backwards.

I say with Viktor and Travis all we need is a solid vet like Ruben to mentor them in defense and back them up.

Bye-bye to Precarius Miles and his tantrums!

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I think we can package Darius with someone like Ruben or Derek Anderson and get back an expiring contract like Penny Hardaway and get Sweetney and or Ariza thrown in, or a 1st rounder. I'd work trying to get rid of Ratliff with Van Excel for more expiring contracts plus more picks. Get under the cap so we can resign Joel. Plus, you can start Viktor or Outlaw at the SF spot. Take the best player available player excluding SFs with our draft pick.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
MARIS61 said:
I say with Viktor and Travis all we need is a solid vet like Ruben to mentor them in defense and back them up.
Does Ruben get to play in this scenario? You have three players all playing the same position even if you get rid of Miles. How is that supposed to work?

Why do you think any player in his prime years would be happy being a third string SF under two raw prospects - being handed the role of mentor?

Can't we find them a mentor who plays a different position?

Do you honestly think that Ruben is mentor material? Is this the guy that our young players should look up to for decision making?

There's no real need to keep Ruben around. Should we have some solid veterans on the squad who can help bring the young guys along? Sure, but not guys like Ruben... guys like Theo and Shareef seem to fit that role a lot better - plus they are valuable members of the team who don't play SF.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
trade rubin for a first rounder, trade theo/miles with nve and get rid of da.

its only a small list

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
MARIS61 said:

Bye-bye to Precarius Miles and his tantrums!
Ruben is unhappy with the youth movement, so why would he take bench minutes for the next two years in Portland? Trade him and Miles.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I think Miles and Ruben will be gone this year in a trade of somesorts, with Khryapa and Outlaw then manning the SF spots. I am not sure what our defense will be like then, but offensivley I think it will be fine.

I think Darius can be packaged with NVE waivable contract to get a shooting guard of decent worth

and I think we can trade Ruben to a contending team for a late 1st round pick. I like the idea of getting Aaron Miles or similar player as late 1st round pick to backup Telfair

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Isn't Monya supposed to be better than Viktor? If so, this team might come back to decent status quicker than some might think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts