Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Terminate his contract vs his contract not counting against the cap are two different things.

It will happen. Ainge is such a great father he will send one of his family members to the trash compactor as soon as he can.
Family. lol I laugh everytime I hear that word out of someone from the Celtics organization.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We know that lastlaugh. We really don't need another diatribe against Ainge. If you want to start "I hate Danny Ainge" threads, please do so to your heart's content. It's a free country.

So, does anyone know how many games it has been since Baker was suspended.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Pro basketball is not a "family" its a business. Everyone knows that. Besides its not like Vin has been around for 5 years or something. He has been a Celtic for about 1 year. I doint count the time he has been in Betty Ford clinics as time with the team. Get rid of him. He is a cancer and a major distraction for the team. He makes 15 mil a year or something like that. Screw him. If he is not a professional and cannot show loyalty to his teammates then get rid of him. I think its 6-7 games left on the countdown.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rowdyness</b>!
Pro basketball is not a "family" its a business. Everyone knows that. Besides its not like Vin has been around for 5 years or something. He has been a Celtic for about 1 year. I doint count the time he has been in Betty Ford clinics as time with the team. Get rid of him. He is a cancer and a major distraction for the team. He makes 15 mil a year or something like that. Screw him. If he is not a professional and cannot show loyalty to his teammates then get rid of him. I think its 6-7 games left on the countdown.
The family comments came from Ainge and Wyc Grousbeck. They used the words family not me.

Big John
You can kiss Ainge's *** I can call him on the two faced idiot he is.
I didn't agree with your Jim and Walter are to blame tirades but I didn't stop you from saying them.

No masking. ---agoo

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Originally posted by <b>bballin</b>!
is there any way you can put someone on ignore??

i wuz wondering the same thing cuz some people jus come on here to claim to be fans and just point out mistakes in this team and never complimernt them. No need for people like that, it's a waste to read.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Originally posted by <b>h180ys</b>!
If Vinny's contract is terminated, will we get any cap space? If yes, how much is our salary next season?
I read the other day from Peter May, that even if we terminate Baker's contract, we probably won't be players in the FA market. We probably will only use the MLE. So, from that I think if the contract is terminated it comes off the books. If it is a buyout, it will count against the cap for the following two years (which is the remaining money Baker has).

Sometimes, I just don't understand how this salary cap thing works. Specially when you have teams over the cap signing players... (yes I know, it's all about the business and avoiding luxury tax).

Here are some quotes, and the link follows

"But be advised that even if the team terminates Baker's contract because he failed to comply with his alcohol treatment program it does not mean the Celtics can suddenly put a free agent like Kobe Bryant on their radar screen this summer. "

"If Baker's money comes off the books, the Celtics' payroll will be $44 million-$45 million next season. With the salary cap expected to come in at around $45 million, that means the Celtics will be in no position to be far enough under the cap -- or even under it at all -- to go out and sign any marquee free agents with available cap space."

Advantages:

1) If there is a luxury tax this year the Celtics won't be affected.

2)The Celtics have more freedom to use the midlevel exception

3)The Celtics would be in a good position to resign their own players (Mark Blount, etc.)

http://www.boston.com/sports/basket..._could_mean_considerable_savings_for_celtics/

'http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2004/01/24/decision_could_mean_considerable_savings_for_celtics/

having trouble to get the link on... but it is correct... you can copy and paste it without leaving spaces

There u have it

Another good link from the herald is

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/celtics.bg?articleid=312

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I hate to break it to you all but if the Celts try to terminate Vin's contract the players Union is ready to put up a HUGE fight because as they well know there are a LOT of alchoholics in the league (they just don't admit to it like Vinny did) and the players union does not want it to be a precedent. With a fight like that it would take a couple years and by then his contact would have been over anyhow, so please stop thinking we're gonna get something here because we are not.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No one knows what will happen if Baker's contract is terminated. There are no precedents and the CBA does not directly address the issue. The Raptors terminated Nate Huffman's contract last year but that case is still in arbitration.

Go take a look at the post I started over on the "Salaries and the CBA" forum. The experts over there can't answer the questions asked-- and neither can Peter May. It's uncharted territory.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Originally posted by <b>whiterhino</b>!
I hate to break it to you all but if the Celts try to terminate Vin's contract the players Union is ready to put up a HUGE fight because as they well know there are a LOT of alchoholics in the league (they just don't admit to it like Vinny did) and the players union does not want it to be a precedent. With a fight like that it would take a couple years and by then his contact would have been over anyhow, so please stop thinking we're gonna get something here because we are not.
Just in case, I was just trying to answer a post. I'm not saying we are going to terminate Vin's contract, just assuming that case how will it affect the C's.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
T-minus seven games and counting....

As per league policy, Vin will be out a minimum of two more games, and then he is eligible to return, but cannot return until cleared by league doctors.

So he will be out five, but it's those next five that really matter as far as the C's are concerned.

As for clearing the money, yes it does do a lot for the Celtics. Maybe not next year in terms of big free agents, but definitely down the road. It would bring them luxury tax rebate money (if there is a tax), and would be a tremendous weight off the shoulders of the franchise.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: T-minus seven games and counting....

As for clearing the money, yes it does do a lot for the Celtics. Maybe not next year in terms of big free agents, but definitely down the road. It would bring them luxury tax rebate money (if there is a tax), and would be a tremendous weight off the shoulders of the franchise.
No one knows how any of this will work. You are just guessing.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
No, John, I am not

I am not going to speculate as to the plausibility of the Celtics' case, but if it goes 10 the Celtics will try to terminate his contract using the "unfit to play" clause.

Whether that is successful or not is anyone's guess, as you astutely point out, but if they are successful, then it will have a very positive impact on the fiscal and basketball health of the Celtics in the future. That's all I am saying.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: No, John, I am not

Originally posted by <b>Truth34</b>!
I am not going to speculate as to the plausibility of the Celtics' case, but if it goes 10 the Celtics will try to terminate his contract using the "unfit to play" clause.

Whether that is successful or not is anyone's guess, as you astutely point out, but if they are successful, then it will have a very positive impact on the fiscal and basketball health of the Celtics in the future. That's all I am saying.
Yes, we are in agreement. My biggest fear is David Stern. He has alot of power, and historically he has done everything he can to screw the Celtics.

Fortunately, this is a huge case for the NBA owners as well. The owners are absolutely fed up with giving long term guaranteed contracts to players who don't perform. Baker is just the most obvious example. This is going to be a HUGE issue in the negotiations for the next CBA, and it may even rise to the level of a strike/lockout issue.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Yep, Huge Ramifications

In any other profession, Baker would have been shown the door. He has had these problems for years. Think any corporation paying somebody $13 mil per year and counting heavily on them for the success of the company would give somebody 4-5 chances? No way.

The league may have to send a message before it loses the 12 fans that still watch the NBA.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.