Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Celtics' troubled forward has, according to sources, told two NBA players that if he is released by Boston he would want to sign with the Knicks. Thomas does have interest in adding a low-post scorer, but Baker's history of alcohol abuse and emotional problems makes him a high-risk acquisition.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Who cares if Vin Baker wants to play for us? Leave him on the curb. Instead of focusing on why Boston would/will release him he's talking about the next team like he still has something to offer. He is in DENIAL. We would be in denial as a team to take him on.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PennyHardaway</b>!
i will start the FIRE THOMAS chants if we get Baker

You say Fire, I'll say Thomas.

·
Let's Go Streaking!
6,994 Posts

MAYBE THE WORST CONTRACT IN THE NBA PLUS DRUNK PROBLEMS LET ME THINK MMMMMMM

HELL NO:devil:

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
He's a post presence, something this team lacks. Baker's contract is identical to Penny Hardaway's contract. What's so bad about having another former all-star coming off the bench?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Baker's contract is identical to Penny Hardaway's contract.
Right, one of the worst in the league.

What's so bad about having another former all-star coming off the bench?
Come on, I'd rather re-sign McDyess for big money (something I really DON'T recommend), he's got a better shot at recovering.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Right, one of the worst in the league.
So whats the difference if we add Baker or not? If his contract is as bad as Penny's, and everybody is happy with Penny, is there really a problem?

Come on, I'd rather re-sign McDyess for big money (something I really DON'T recommend), he's got a better shot at recovering.
Baker so far has outperformed Dyess since his return. Baker is better in the post than McDyess. The game Baker played vs the Knicks earlier in the year (the one where he was schooling Mutombo off the dribble) is better than anything McDyess did while on the Knicks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Believe me, if Baker was making any type contribution to Boston's cause lately, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Boston would keep him even if he was taking in a fifth intraveneously. But he fell off the wagon and fell off the wagon hard. Why would we put ourselves through the drama? Why should we? I don't see a compelling argument to even continue this thread on the subject, honestly speaking.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
"So whats the difference if we add Baker or not? If his contract is as bad as Penny's, and everybody is happy with Penny, is there really a problem?"

is that the usual sarcasm??is it bitterness over eisly??is it rashidis theory on transitivity???

"Baker so far has outperformed Dyess since his return. Baker is better in the post than McDyess. The game Baker played vs the Knicks earlier in the year (the one where he was schooling Mutombo off the dribble) is better than anything McDyess did while on the Knicks."

I assume you are saying baker is better than Dyss with a bad knee...A healthy Dyss is head and shoulders above baker...Dyss is an unbelievable talent when healthy...Unfortunetly Dyss's athlticism may be a thing of the past..

The real questin regarding baker is if his drinking violates the terms of his contract,making it null and void...Then baker may come verrrry verrrry cheap

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
And just for the record, I was being sarcastic, I don't want Baker or Dyess. I'm willing to try to reclaim a guys emotions, like sheed, but the odds on Baker are really low, and who knows what Dyess has got.

I'd only be interested if they come on the cheap side of cheap.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
speaking of reclaiming emotions,can you believe how out of cintril Eddie Griffin is??That boy needs a serious amount of vvoltage to his frontal lobe

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I will note that I don't want Baker as a starting PF. And since Rasheed Wallace will allegedly sign for the mid-level, what is wrong with bringing in Baker to back him up?

C - Mutombo, Thomas
PF - Wallace, Baker
SF - KVH, DMJ
SG - Houston, Penny
PG - Marbury, Norris

Does anybody have a problem with this team?

Believe me, if Baker was making any type contribution to Boston's cause lately, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Actually the reason we're having his conversation is because Boston is trying to weasel it's way out of a 36 million dollar contract that they made the mistake of trading for. If the Suns could have gotten out of the Penny contract somehow they probably would have too, regardless of production. Same with Grant Hill. Hill wants to play this year, but if he plays more than 9 games the Magic lose a clause that makes insurance pay 80% of grant hill's contract. Hill said he'd be ready in March. Think the Magic will activate him in March? No way.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Rashidi</b>!
I will note that I don't want Baker as a starting PF. And since Rasheed Wallace will allegedly sign for the mid-level, what is wrong with bringing in Baker to back him up?
Maybe I just don't understand something that is obvious to you. We are way over the cap. How do we take on his 15mil/yr contract without trading any contracts away?

How do you see adding him to the present roster without giving anything up? If it's possible then sure, but please explain how it's done.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Maybe I just don't understand something that is obvious to you. We are way over the cap. How do we take on his 15mil/yr contract without trading any contracts away?
Wow, you're behind on the times. The Celtics are trying to void Baker's contract. Which would make him a free agent.

If they are not allowed to do this, then I'm sure Boston would gladly take Shandon Anderson and Kurt Thomas. Anderson's contract isn't as bad as Baker's and KT can opt out.

if we sign rasheed kurt thomas wont be on this team next year. hes a free agent remember???
1. KT is not a free agent, but he CAN opt out of his contract at the end of the season. He has a season left after this one if he chooses not to take the option, which he may not if the Knicks actually do damage in the playoffs.

2. The cap is NOT an obstacle when it comes to signing your own players. The Knicks can sign Rasheed with the mid-level and still spend money to keep KT because there won't be a cap restriction.

3. If KT were traded, then it would be unlikely for him to come back, unless the Knicks don't go after Rasheed.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
It would be very interesting to see what is written into V Bakers contract....

I would imagine,substance abuse is a common clause written in...I am not sure under labor law if one can be terminated due to alcohol addiction....Anyone know??

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Baker and the Celtics made a new agreement after Vin's drinking problems last year. It made provisions about a treatment program and alcohol testing. On the third strike it allowed the Celtics the option of suspending and then terminating Baker. Baker signed the deal and the Celtics will be trying to terminate him and drop the money left on his contract. However, Baker has a new agent representing him and the agent is going to want to get paid so Baker will undoubtedly challenge the new agreement. The players association will also have something to say. They do not want this sort of thing to happen alot.

Too many people here are focussing on the bad contract of Baker. The only way Baker becomes a Knick is through a trade or if the Celtics are successful in termination. If the C's are successful then Baker would sign a new contract to play. And I think he would play for cheap.

From that perpective it sounds good for NY. But I warn you DO NOT SUFFER THE CURSE OF VIN BAKER!!!! He has put the Celtics in the dump and before that he killed the Sonics. He is a drunk and a distraction.

Any team that picks up Baker is making a mistake!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts