Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He was going up for a dunk, got fouled, and landed on the floor clutching his knee and swearing. He missed both free throws badly and limped off the court with a strained knee (same injury that kept him out most of last season).

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
He was going up for a dunk, got fouled, and landed on the floor clutching his knee and swearing. He missed both free throws badly and limped off the court with a strained knee (same injury that kept him out most of last season).
Yikes. It may get ugly for the Raptors.

·
Registered
338 Posts
guess thats why he doesn't attack the basket like he used to. I wonder if all the raptors fans who want him driving all the time are willing to possibly lose him for the year, or longer?

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Unfortunate for VC, and I hope it's not serious. I know this might come off as crass or rude, but I certainly don't mean anything by it above and beyond the objective truth, but anyways: this is yet another reason why Paul Pierce was, is, and will always be better than Vince Carter.

Hope Vince gets better fast though.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
I don't think it's anything that serious, at least I can tell myself that. But, one negative is that it is the same knee-quad area that he's had all the injury problems with before.

Paul Pierce is the better player than Vince, but I think we all know Carter has the talent to be much much better player. I think if he fullfills his potential and becomes the player he has the talent to be, he's the best player in this league. This is VERY arguable, but i think it's true.

·
Registered
338 Posts
well lets not turn this thread into a PP vs VC thread....i hope VC is alright the raptors need him but they are holding up alright without him in the gameee....

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
IMO, talent is not synonymous with athletic ability. You can't teach a guy to draw fouls and singlehandedly foul out half an opposing starting lineup or be Mr. Clutch in the fourth quarter like Pierce can.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Yeah Paul Pierce is better now.

But Pierce will never be as good as Carter was before the knee injuries.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!
When Carter was out last year, the Raptors started winning. So the rest of the Eastern Conference better watch out.
Umm..... no.

The Raptors were brutal last year without Vince, on their way to a 24 win season.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JuniorNoboa</b>!

Umm..... no.

The Raptors were brutal last year without Vince, on their way to a 24 win season.
LOL! I think John was thinking of the year BEFORE that.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
any updates on the injury

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Man that sucks. It seems like Vince just can't catch any breaks. He was finally over his injuries and poised to play 82 games this season. I think these knee problems are going to plague him for the rest of his career. It's too bad. He had hall of fame talent.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Pinball</b>!
Man that sucks. It seems like Vince just can't catch any breaks. He was finally over his injuries and poised to play 82 games this season. I think these knee problems are going to plague him for the rest of his career. It's too bad. He had hall of fame talent.
I think he could still make it. If this doesn't turn into a long drawn out thing like last time. I still think he has Hall of Fame potential.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Really stinks. For a guy like Vince who really relies on that athletic ability, if he cant get away from these knee injuries he'll soon be hanging in the ranks of Penny Hardaway.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Really stinks. For a guy like Vince who really relies on that athletic ability, if he cant get away from these knee injuries he'll soon be hanging in the ranks of Penny Hardaway.
Yikes again. Just the thought of Vince turning into the recent Penny makes me squirm, and I'm not even a Vince fan.

Maybe this thing is only day-to-day or something, who knows.

·
Fear The Red
8,910 Posts
Originally posted by <b>wadecaroneddie</b>!
any updates on the injury
Not really but they have descriped it as a right quad injury and was doubtfull to return to the game that is about all that we know right now

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JNice</b>!
That's a scary thought. I'm not a Carter fan really, but I was a major Penny fan, and I don't want to see what happened with him happen with anyone.

Originally posted by <b>SkywalkerAC</b>!

no they didn't.
He meant the year before I'm guessing, when the Raps won like 11 of 12 after he went down.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jdg</b>!

I think he could still make it. If this doesn't turn into a long drawn out thing like last time. I still think he has Hall of Fame potential.
It's possible but the odds are probably stacked against him. For starters, he's already in his prime. He entered the league at 21, as opposed to Kobe and Tmac who entered the league at 18. As a result he entered his prime much quicker. Kobe and Tmac can still be talked about in terms of potential. Vince probably cannot. He's in his prime right now. These next 4-5 years should be the most productive of his career. However, if he keeps missing games due to injuries, he'll be missing some serious stat padding opportunities. The injuries are a concern for other reasons as well. As good as he is right now, I don't think he's nearly as explosive as he was before he hurt his knees. 2-3 years ago the guy was just incredible. He's still a great athlete but clearly not what he was before. More injuries will only serve diminish his athleticism even more. It's also starting to look this condition in knees might be chronic. Ever since he hurt them the first time it seems like he's more susceptible to re-injuring them. Given that his game is so dependent on athleticism, I can't see him being able to preserve his knees. He's probably going to have to deal with this for the rest of his career. As if this isn't bad enough, he doesn't have the accolades that Kobe or Iverson have. Kobe has multiple rings. Iverson has led his team to the Finals and has an MVP. Vince doesn't really have any accolades or great achievements. This is something that voters tend to look at for the Hall of Fame. It's usually a combination of sustained greatness, personal accomplishments, and gaudy statistics. Vince will have great stats but they probably won't compare to TMac, Kobe, and AI because of all the games that he's missed due to injuries. He probably isn't going to win an MVP or ring anytime soon with Duncan, Shaq, and KG dominating the sport. I think all of the missed games will only serve to diminish his greatness in the eyes of others. He has a chance at the Hall of Fame but right now I'd say that his chances are very slim. I hope I'm wrong though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts