Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is not a post bashing Vince Carter....he deserves to be an all-star this season......but damn to lead in the voting again how/why???

When Charles Barkely called him "half man-half a season"....I laughed but then I thought he was having a very good season...but he doen't deserve to start......

.....this isn't like when grant hill was voted a starter his first year with Orlando even though he barely payed that season....or when Mourning was voted a starter when he missed the season with his kidney problem.......those were based on past accomplishments.....

...but what has Vince Carter done the last 2 1/2 years to warrant him not only starting...but leading the votes

and people say Yao has whole country of China voting for him..at least he's from there.....vince isn't even Canadian

·
Registered
304 Posts
Carter gets voted #1 because he turns the game into a show, and thats what the fans want to see, a show. All-Star contest is not meant to bring ther best players of the league together....The truth is, as much as I am skeptical about Carter´s value as a basketball player, I prefer to watch Carter rather than Artest. If I was a Gm I´d pick Artest any day of the year over Carter, but Artest as an All-Star, in my opinion, would make the game boring with his firm defense. Carter is the best dunker in NBA, a covers the highlights and therefore will inevitably be voted in as #1. Carter is not a top 10 player in the East.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Carter still has a ton of casual fans, and his competition as forward is next to nothing. Put Carter at guard and McGrady at forward, and I think you'd see McGrady leading the way and Carter with a lot less overall votes. He still may get in as a starter, but I certainly wouldn't expect him to be clearly on top. This is the same reason that a player like Ben Wallace is number two overall -- stick him at forward against Carter and O'Neal, and his total votes go way down.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Because VC is one of the most exciting players in the L now, if not the most. The starters are voted by the fans, therefore only the most exciting and popular players get voted in as starters, and not those who truly deserve to start on an all-star game, and VC is one of those guys.

·
"True Story"
1,330 Posts
It's all in the Ballot set-up. They list Carter as a Forward. The Eastern Conference doesn't have many forwards so by default, everyone votes for Carter and someone else. If Carter was listed at Guard, I still think McGrady and Iverson would be the starting guards. Maybe they should consider listing other eastern Guard/Forwards at forward in the future. Guys like Tracy McGrady, Paul Pierce and LeBron James. I'm pretty sure Tracy McGrady or LeBron would be the leading vote-getters if that were the case.

Ben Wallace didn't get so many votes because everyone loves the way he rebounds. He's in the same boat as Carter. Ben's a Forward who's listed as a Center on the ballot against weak eastern centers. Believe that.:yes:

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Vince does hav ealot of casual fans but I find that being the reason is hard to believe. I am a hardcore fan and only vote twice for the all-stars and my two votes didn't get Darko a starting position :( :D . Maybe I am just lazy and don't vote as much as others do.

Carter is VERY entertaining and like somebody up there said will provide a show. I don't see a problem with him there. I also don't see how he isn't a top 10 player in the east. That's just me though.

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Most of Canada probaly votes for him too. Not to the degree of China voting for Yao Ming, but I'm sure it boosts Vince's votes some.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
IMO Lebron can't get more votes than Carter for the next 5 years.

·
"True Story"
1,330 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ballscientist</b>!
IMO Lebron can't get more votes than Carter for the next 5 years.
If I knew you, I would bet you that if LeBron goes on the ballot as a forward next year, he will beat Vince Carter.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ben</b>!
Because VC is one of the most exciting players in the L now, if not the most. The starters are voted by the fans, therefore only the most exciting and popular players get voted in as starters, and not those who truly deserve to start on an all-star game, and VC is one of those guys.
this is why Carter leads the voting, because fans are remembering what he did in the past and think he still does it now. To call Vince the most exciting player is a joke, I'm sure you dont get to watch many Raptors games in HongKong and I'm sure for many of the others who voted for him dont watch his games either because if they did then they would know 1.) Carter is not really exciting anymore, 2.) Carter rarely dunks, but when he does they are average, nothing spectacular like before his injuries, 3.) Carter is a jump shooter now.

Sure he might have a nice dunk once a while, but so did Darius Miles and Ricky Davis when they were with the Cavs but did anyone vote for them? nope because they didnt do anything in the past that was memorable.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i think vince can win at guard over mcgrady or iverson, he is a pretty big draw around the league. the raptors used to have good attendance on road games against teams that normally don't have many people at the stadium.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Red_Bandit</b>!

I'm sure for many of the others who voted for him dont watch his games either because if they did then they would know 1.) Carter is not really exciting anymore, 2.) Carter rarely dunks, but when he does they are average, nothing spectacular like before his injuries, 3.) Carter is a jump shooter now.
That's due to the defenses teams are subjecting to him, similar to the zones thrown at McGrady. They refuse to let him drive (packing the lanes) and dare him to shoot.

However, in the All-Star game, nobody is going to play a defense like that (only a few people will even remember to get into a defensive stance) which means that Vince Carter will get his chances to slash and dunk.

And I beg to differ that he's incapable of spectacular dunks anymore. I've seen several this season from him. He's just not trying to throw down thrilling dunks every time...a simple dunk is good enough for two points.

Vince Carter is an excellent player who was made for All-Star games. Against light defense and offenses wanting to throw alley-oops all the time, Carter is in his element.

Voters who selected him for excitement value definitely know what they're doing. How he plays against zones that make driving impossible, during the season, is irrelevant.

Only if he were injured at the moment would he be a silly selection.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Well said, Minstrel! Saved me the typing! :D

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Voters who selected him for excitement value definitely know what they're doing. How he plays against zones that make driving impossible, during the season, is irrelevant.
Good point, different direction.

I think many people vote and dont look at stats or pay attention to the NBA. If you asked them to say who are the leading scorers, they would think "oh man, vince carter, he's athletic and dunks on everyone." They aren't like us here. They dont check stats. They dont watch all NBA games. Those people would never rate Zach Randolph or Kirilenko high. People go to a game and vote with highlights in their head. Or they go to NBA.com just to vote because they're bored and they can't let themselves leave certain big names off because it wouldnt look right.

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Holy crap, you guys ALWAYS have to say this don't you?

1) he's listed as a forward. If he was listed as a guard he wouldn't have gotten as many votes, that's a fact.

2) he's the best damn dunker of all time and he's one of the most exciting players in the game, and that's certainly a fact.

3) it's not all of Canada voting for him - it's all of the world. He's a huge international superstar, and most of Canada would rather watch curling than basketball anyway.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Originally posted by <b>panthera_pardus</b>!
Carter gets voted #1 because he turns the game into a show, and thats what the fans want to see, a show. All-Star contest is not meant to bring ther best players of the league together....The truth is, as much as I am skeptical about Carter´s value as a basketball player, I prefer to watch Carter rather than Artest. If I was a Gm I´d pick Artest any day of the year over Carter, but Artest as an All-Star, in my opinion, would make the game boring with his firm defense. Carter is the best dunker in NBA, a covers the highlights and therefore will inevitably be voted in as #1. Carter is not a top 10 player in the East.
Carter is definatly a top 10 player in the east. You don't know what you're talking about. Artest over Carter. LOL.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Budweiser_Boy</b>!
Holy crap, you guys ALWAYS have to say this don't you?

1) he's listed as a forward. If he was listed as a guard he wouldn't have gotten as many votes, that's a fact.

2) he's the best damn dunker of all time and he's one of the most exciting players in the game, and that's certainly a fact.

3) it's not all of Canada voting for him - it's all of the world. He's a huge international superstar, and most of Canada would rather watch curling than basketball anyway.
While I'm not sure how number two is "certainly a fact," I agree with all three points. As I mentioned before, his being listed at forward easily gets him a lot more votes than if he were listed at guard. Combine that with the fact that he is still an extremely popular player, and I don't see how people are confused about him leading the vote.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
He's leading the allstar voting because the fans want to see his athleticism, specifically dunking. Disagree as much as you want, but face the facts and face reality.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Carter lead in voting because forward in the east is not a deep position..positions where there are many great players such as forward in the west and guard in the east split votes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts