Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would like to get insight on what you think are his qualities on D.

P.S...Is it weird for a guy who's just starting out to be creating so many threads??

plz be honest

Reactions: Petey

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
I really do not see the big deal, I'd rather Vince not even worry about defense, his 4th quarter defense when the game is on the line is excellent. When he tries to play defense its either he tries too hard or not enough, and he gets into silly foul troubles which affects the team when he is not on the floor. Thats why having RJ back will be so good, Kidd and RJ can share defensive responsibilities on the opposing teams' best guards

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
he plays nets defense. if you can play team defense i like you.

ps. i think its cool that a new comer is making new threads. shows you want to be informed and be a reg here. as long as the threads arent pointless or a repeat of a previous thread i think its cool by everyone

Reactions: Petey

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
VCFSO2000 said:

P.S...Is it weird for a guy who's just starting out to be creating so many threads??

plz be honest
Nah it's cool, the board is here to have fun, as long as you are having fun and don't get in the way of others having fun, go for it.

-Joe C.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
VCFSO2000 said:

plz be honest
haha i just joined not to long ago and i was postin like crazy now about vince's d i think it is actually pretty good

·
Banned
4,660 Posts
WTF? Who cares? It ain't like the Nets have been winning every game since Vince joined the team. When we start outscoring people consistantly, then we can afford to not care. Vince is very poor at keeping his man in front of him, and he often makes stupid mistakes. Kidd and Vince's lack of ability to keep their men in front of them has severely hurt the Nets this season.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
He's a good (weak-side) shot-blocker and help-defender.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Yea, if it weren't for those ticky-tack fouls, he wouldn't be so bad at defense. I think his reactions are too quick for his own good sometimes. I just don't understand why someone as athletic and agile as Carter can't keep his defender in front of him. I know his coaches put him through defensive drills his whole life, why hasn't he picked up on any of it??

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
I think his D has been much improved recently. I don't see him getting beaten nearly as often, nor do I see him watching the ball and losing track of his man as often. He's always been a good ball hawk and a good defensive rebounder. Hopefully the Nets commitment to defense is rubbing off on him.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
VCFSO2000 said:

plz be honest
No, go for it. Everyone should feel free to create threads at their leisure. It'll spark more discussion. Who knows what someone's gonna have to say to something?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Like I've mentioned before, he plays good D when it really matters.
Including in Toronto, I don't remember him getting beat in the clutch.
In fact, VC usually makes a big stop on a crucial possession. U can put him on ball in the clutch.
n he plays good team D; reads the court well.

I agree, it's those ticky-tack fouls that gets him in foul troubles sometimes.
But who cares, he outscores his oppo. :biggrin:

·
Registered
631 Posts
KvP said:
Like I've mentioned before, he plays good D when it really matters.
Including in Toronto, I don't remember him getting beat in the clutch.
In fact, VC usually makes a big stop on a crucial possession. U can put him on ball in the clutch.
n he plays good team D; reads the court well.

I agree, it's those ticky-tack fouls that gets him in foul troubles sometimes.
But who cares, he outscores his oppo. :biggrin:
First post here from a long-time lurker.

Agree with the above comments wholeheartedly. Vince's defense has been fairly maligned for most of his last season plus in Toronto, when it, like every other aspect of his game, went south. But his defense was unfairly maligned by Michael Jordan (and those who take Jordan's every word -- no matter how ill-motivated -- as gospel) with respect to Vince's first few years in the league.

Vince was actually an excellent all-round defender his first 3 seasons and was particularly good off the ball, coming from the weak side to block opposing big men or pick off passes. He was at his best at crucial points late in the game or when really focussed and motivated (he held MJ to 2 FG and a miserable shooting percentage by playing lock-down, glove-tight defense in a preseason game against the Wizards, the first time he'd played Jordan head to head and his first opportunity to make MJ eat his words about his (Carter's) defense.)

I've seen him win games at the defensive end of the floor on numerous occasions with the Raptors, most recently just last November when he locked down Dwayne Wade on the last possession of a Raptors road game, denied him entry into the lane with lightning quick reflexes and big steps, and forced D-Wade into a bad fallaway from 18 feet to preserve the Raptors victory.

His defensive assets are obviously his quickness, leaping ability, and basketball IQ. But he has definite defensive weaknesses too: his dislike for contact, particularly when rounding screens; his often wandering concentration and defensive motivation; and his sometimes poor judgment with respect to his foul situation and when to risk contact and when not to.

I think the improvement some have noticed in his defense lately owes a lot to better, more consistent focus and motivation given the urgency of the Nets playoff push. That focus is really the key to his whole game. When he commits his entire mind, body, and concentration to the game, there's no area in which he doesn't excel.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Hey FOMW, welcome to BBB.net sure you'll like rooting on Carter and the Nets with us.

-Joe C.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
FOMW said:
First post here from a long-time lurker.

Agree with the above comments wholeheartedly. Vince's defense has been fairly maligned for most of his last season plus in Toronto, when it, like every other aspect of his game, went south. But his defense was unfairly maligned by Michael Jordan (and those who take Jordan's every word -- no matter how ill-motivated -- as gospel) with respect to Vince's first few years in the league.

Vince was actually an excellent all-round defender his first 3 seasons and was particularly good off the ball, coming from the weak side to block opposing big men or pick off passes. He was at his best at crucial points late in the game or when really focussed and motivated (he held MJ to 2 FG and a miserable shooting percentage by playing lock-down, glove-tight defense in a preseason game against the Wizards, the first time he'd played Jordan head to head and his first opportunity to make MJ eat his words about his (Carter's) defense.)

I've seen him win games at the defensive end of the floor on numerous occasions with the Raptors, most recently just last November when he locked down Dwayne Wade on the last possession of a Raptors road game, denied him entry into the lane with lightning quick reflexes and big steps, and forced D-Wade into a bad fallaway from 18 feet to preserve the Raptors victory.

His defensive assets are obviously his quickness, leaping ability, and basketball IQ. But he has definite defensive weaknesses too: his dislike for contact, particularly when rounding screens; his often wandering concentration and defensive motivation; and his sometimes poor judgment with respect to his foul situation and when to risk contact and when not to.

I think the improvement some have noticed in his defense lately owes a lot to better, more consistent focus and motivation given the urgency of the Nets playoff push. That focus is really the key to his whole game. When he commits his entire mind, body, and concentration to the game, there's no area in which he doesn't excel.
:worship: Great first post!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts