Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
69,620 Posts
Cant fault that. Obviously he is not on Kidd, RJ and even Collins level defensively but he is no slouch either. I have seen somethings from Vince this season that he wasnt doing for a while in Toronto. Most notably fighting through screens. Even last night for most of the game he had the Antoine Wright stance, now I dont know if he learnt this from Wright though. Am glad he is being respected for something else than his offense.

· Registered
37 Posts
I think Vince's defense has been greatly improved since joining the Nets. Because of his defense and his overall will to win, I think he is playing the best ball of his career because he is doing it at both ends while also showing his unselfishness and getting teamattes involved..

· Registered
6,449 Posts
VC could always be a decent defender when he put his mind to it. On the Raptors, VC didn't always have a consistent effort on the defensive end b/c he spent so much energy carrying his team on offense. Also the fact that the Raptors were never a really good defensive club had something to do w/ his rep as a poor defender as well. The Nets being a good defensive team rubs off of the players & everybody becomes committed to defense.

· Registered
7,332 Posts
Hbwoy said:
Cant fault that. Obviously he is not on Kidd, RJ and even Collins level defensively but he is no slouch either. I have seen somethings from Vince this season that he wasnt doing for a while in Toronto. Most notably fighting through screens. Even last night for most of the game he had the Antoine Wright stance, now I dont know if he learnt this from Wright though. Am glad he is being respected for something else than his offense.
I know Kidd gets a lot of accolades for being a good defender, but the thing I don't like about Kidd is he rarely puts hand up when a player pulls up for a shot and he knows he can't get to it. I've seen him do this more and more lately so I dunno if he's getting tired from the season progressing or if I'm just looking for it more.

· Registered
37 Posts
I think the defense is a product of the effort he puts in here for us where he tries to win every game and plays with a high level of intensity. It may not be the most fundamentaly sound defense or the elite stopper like Kidd or Jefferson, but the effort alone makes a huge difference and helps us out alot. If role players see the teams starts like Kidd and Vince work so hard on defense, they are more inclined to follow their lead and do the same, creating a great defensive unit as opposed to several great individual defenders..

· Banned
57,945 Posts
Carter has also rebounded well and been a pretty good play maker as Kidd sits.

-Petey

· Registered
2,287 Posts
i think vince is going to step his D up in the playoffs this year. he has more O help so he knows he can focus on O and D equally. i think vince is going to open some eyes in the playoffs and show people that he does play D. nobody believes it because we were on national tv like twice this year so people think that we as nets fans overrate vince's D. vince has the tools to be a very good defender. his D has been the most obvious improvement he has made during his Nets career. vince gets in hands on a lot of balls and his hits the boards hard. not to mention he definitely is an underrated passer.

· VAUDEVILLE VILLAIN
8,816 Posts
NetsanityJoe said:
i think vince is going to step his D up in the playoffs this year. he has more O help so he knows he can focus on O and D equally. i think vince is going to open some eyes in the playoffs and show people that he does play D. nobody believes it because we were on national tv like twice this year so people think that we as nets fans overrate vince's D. vince has the tools to be a very good defender. his D has been the most obvious improvement he has made during his Nets career. vince gets in hands on a lot of balls and his hits the boards hard. not to mention he definitely is an underrated passer.
imo and from what ive seen hes the best passing sg. at least skill wise

· Registered
2,861 Posts
I've always said that Vince can play great defense...I've given several examples in several threads in the past with time stamps etc.

The problem is, as neoxsupreme said, it's only when he puts his mind to it. He plays medium defense most of the time, not his best, and takes alot of posessions off. Alot of times he doesn't make the effort to stay in front of players like Michael Redd, Ray Allen, and Mo Wiliams. That's why Jefferson was guarding Redd for most of the game last time.

It's not a matter of Vince improving his defense...it's already good. He's just gotta put in the effort in every game is all.

· Registered
10,503 Posts
Don't forget last time we met Lakers, Carter did good defense on Kobe Bryant, of course, including Carter's successful defense to shut down Kobe's final shot.

I suppose Carter has learned more defensive skills and mind from J-Kidd, RJ, and a defensive-first coach. It's a good news, as long as Carter could contribute on both end, Nets would be a very nice team, have good O and also good D.

Imaging Kidd, Carter, RJ all play good or excellent D, it's really like the backcourt of MJ's bulls.

· Registered
1,246 Posts
I used to love to hate on VC's D, but then I read in article where he talked about how when he's putting in so much effort on the offensive side of the floor, it's hard to play that hard on D as well. There's probobly something to that, especially considering how the team looks to him to carry the offense for quarters at a time. He certainly doesn't take plays off, but I think he is actually an above-average defender when he takes his focus off the offensive end. I think this has been especially clear at the ends of games, where he can really hunker down and exert himself totally on every play.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.