Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
67,771 Posts
Well, I agree with everything in the article except two things.

1) I think Vince would've brought the Magic to the playoffs these last two years if he was in McGrady's place. The magic did not have that horrible a roster. Mike Miller was rookie of the year, Darrell Armstrong is aging but still a crafty vet, Horace Grant is way undersized but the east is the east, Garrity can shoot, and Troy Hudson is a back-up PG that can score. Vince would've taken that team to the playoffs.

2) I think it is very premature of him to say that Vince will never be better than Dirk, Pierce, Kobe, or T-Mac. All of these guys are still maturing. When Larry Johnson and Rick Fox burst onto the NBA scene together, which did you think would be the first to three rings? When the Rockets were winning titles, did you ever think Cassell would lead a team once out from beneath Kenny Smith's shadow? After his first three years, did anyone even think Jon Barry would still be on an NBA roster at this point? The beauty of the league is that things happen all the time. Players mature and find a team concept they buy into, or they continue to play selfishly and never amount to much. I think now is way too early to be claiming anything about these 5 young superstars.

Let's just get the season rolling and watch the games!

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by <b>RollWithEm</b>!
Well, I agree with everything in the article except two things.

1) I think Vince would've brought the Magic to the playoffs these last two years if he was in McGrady's place. The magic did not have that horrible a roster. Mike Miller was rookie of the year, Darrell Armstrong is aging but still a crafty vet, Horace Grant is way undersized but the east is the east, Garrity can shoot, and Troy Hudson is a back-up PG that can score. Vince would've taken that team to the playoffs.

2) I think it is very premature of him to say that Vince will never be better than Dirk, Pierce, Kobe, or T-Mac. All of these guys are still maturing. When Larry Johnson and Rick Fox burst onto the NBA scene together, which did you think would be the first to three rings? When the Rockets were winning titles, did you ever think Cassell would lead a team once out from beneath Kenny Smith's shadow? After his first three years, did anyone even think Jon Barry would still be on an NBA roster at this point? The beauty of the league is that things happen all the time. Players mature and find a team concept they buy into, or they continue to play selfishly and never amount to much. I think now is way too early to be claiming anything about these 5 young superstars.

Let's just get the season rolling and watch the games!

Well said!!!
just gotta see what happens??
I thought they kinda downplayed VC on this article..
He's definitley up there with T-Mac and Kobe...
IMO - He's Better than Dirk and maybe Pierce

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Dirk is the man

The only thing I disagree with is that Dirk should be listed as the best of the above.

Dirk is slowly landing on another plane.

·
Registered
932 Posts
As living north of the border, I have seen Vinsanity (as we canucks call him) do sum amazing things. While I do not agree with that article he's dead on rite with saying kobe and tmac are better than him rite now. Vince's offensive game is an odd one; he jacks up str8 weird shots sum times and takes alot of 3's (not a great % mind you) but still scores 25-30 PPG. He needs to go too the rim alot more however as he (along with rest of the raptors) start to fall in love with the 3. Kobe and TMac can score anywhere on the floor be it: mid-range J, in the post or from downtown they can do it all... and what Vince cant do. There's more to basketball than posterized dunks and long bomb 3's.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by <b>Killuminati</b>!
As living north of the border, I have seen Vinsanity (as we canucks call him) do sum amazing things. While I do not agree with that article he's dead on rite with saying kobe and tmac are better than him rite now. Vince's offensive game is an odd one; he jacks up str8 weird shots sum times and takes alot of 3's (not a great % mind you) but still scores 25-30 PPG. He needs to go too the rim alot more however as he (along with rest of the raptors) start to fall in love with the 3. Kobe and TMac can score anywhere on the floor be it: mid-range J, in the post or from downtown they can do it all... and what Vince cant do. There's more to basketball than posterized dunks and long bomb 3's.

Well said & a very good post, I like they way you broke his game down, and it makes a lot of sense
;)

·
Moderator/Head Decepticon
7,624 Posts
Originally posted by <b><<<D>>></b>!

Well said!!!
just gotta see what happens??
I thought they kinda downplayed VC on this article..
He's definitley up there with T-Mac and Kobe...
IMO - He's Better than Dirk and maybe Pierce
I would take Dirk over VC. I would probably take VC over Pierce though. ;)

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by <b>Devestata</b>!

I would take Dirk over VC. I would probably take VC over Pierce though. ;)

Dirk over VC is not a bad choice. I guess I just got caught up with all those dunks and all, and completely forgot about Vince's game. Dirk has more of a complete game than Vince right now, and I'll go back to what I said, about VC over Dirk....oops!! but Pierce or Dirk would be a Tuff choice.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
This article would have been perfect for all of those Kobe threads.

I also agree that what TMac has done w/ the Magic is overated considering that in his first year he only improved them 2 games from the previous season.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
lol, I think that was a laker fan talking, just a guess ;)

It seems Vince Carter has caught the "Kobe disease". Basically, when a player gets super hyped, to the point where people can't even THINK basketball without thinking Vince Carter. Early symptoms are: Piles and Piles upon Piles of product endorsments, huge comparisons to some of the greatest players ever, dozens of different nicknames such as vinsanity, Air Vince (see comparisons to great) etc...

Later the symptoms persist into something a bit more unpleasant...

Once everyone realizes they overhyped the guy, he is now one of the most overated players in the game. Now the symptoms tend to include: Picking on every slightly weak aspect of the game, personal attacks, best player list drop-offs of 5 to 12 spots, new more unwanted nicknames such as "Soft as a babies Donkey (you know what i mean ;)), and the occasional slam on everthing about the guy, IE (worst team player ever, hugest ball hog, only good at dunking) etc.

My view on vince is something in between those two stages of the Kobe disease, hes your typical star in the NBA, gets his share of hate, gets his share of love.

After last season, he takes the 11th or so spot on my "NBA's best"

Just my two cents...

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Sting

That is sad how that works.
What is the rest of your list of top players?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts