Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The question is, where did it all go?

In an increasingly caustic war of words, attorneys have been arguing for months over whether Young is an out-of-control spender who put himself deeply in the hole or simply a victim of inexperienced advisers, one of whom was his own uncle.

Either way, the quarterback whose future seemed unlimited after he led Texas to a Rose Bowl victory in 2006 is now back home in Houston and in a tenuous financial condition.

"I would just say that Vince needs a job," said Trey Dolezal, Young's attorney, when asked to give a general assessment of his client's finances.

Young was cut by the Buffalo Bills, his third NFL team, in August. He was trying to make the Bills as a backup, the same role he filled with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2011.

The fall has been a dizzying one for the player who twice made the Pro Bowl with the Tennessee Titans. Young sent out a tweet thanking the Bills and their fans after he was released but hasn't spoken to the media since. He declined a request to be interviewed for this story.

Even in pro sports, where tales of squandered wealth abound, Young's plight is "pretty dramatic," said Kenneth Shropshire, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School of Business who has written and lectured extensively on the business of sports.

"You'd think it would be hard to blow that much money," Shropshire said.

Young is suing his former agent, Major Adams, and a North Carolina financial planner, Ronnie Peoples, alleging that they misappropriated $5.5 million. In some instances, the pair forged his signature or impersonated him on the phone or in emails, according to the lawsuit, filed in Houston in June.
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sports/Vince-Young-Broke-Out-of-NFL-170334706.html

I understand the whole system to system difference thing but how the hell do you go from someone considered a pro-bowler to a fringe player in your prime years...without becoming a fat pig/drug addict/convict.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Didn't he get voted in as a rookie? I never considered him that level, but he did win a bunch of games and was still popular because of his Rose Bowl performance.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
I can see how these guys can be broke a couple of years after they are done, but damn this guy goes two weeks without a check and he's bust. He should probably go somewhere and show someone he can play the slot or something. In theory you'd think he should have the ability to be a receiver, but who knows if he has hands.

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
Only reason he made the pro bowl in 2009 was because like 10 other QBs did not want to go, David Garrard even made the pro bowl that year.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, only this only that you don't see Stoney Case with Pro Bowl selections.

My point is he fell from a high plateau to being a fringe player, and the Pro Bowl selections was just one example of that, not the end all be all. Can we not make the whole thread about that

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
A good number of people did not think he was that good to begin with there is a reason only two teams gave him a chance at the backup role after he was cut, how many people would be surprised if Tebow is out of the league in a few years?

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Tebow wasn't a top 3 pick, but I get your point.

**** all the other conversation we just had just admit that you would not have imagined Young would be out of the league this soon.

·
Registered
19,468 Posts
A good number of people did not think he was that good to begin with there is a reason only two teams gave him a chance at the backup role after he was cut, how many people would be surprised if Tebow is out of the league in a few years?
What is this? Don't you remember what happened in 2005?

After that Rose Bowl VY was on top of the world. Him or Reggie Bush could've gone first. Even with all his mechanical flaws VY went 3rd overall. Tebow, who's way more decorated than VY, went 25th. VY as a prospect >>>>>>> Tebow as a prospect.

VY flamed out of the league crazy fast though. He just doesn't strike me as a guy you can bet your organization on. Mercurial QBs don't last in the NFL.

·
Registered
158 Posts
He seemingly had a mental breakdown according to his coach in '08 and lost his starting job, then had to watch his team go 12-4. Then he won his starting job back the following season after Kerry Collins got off to a horrible start. And then I can't even remember what happened after that, honestly it seemed like he's been as up-and-down as a starting QB as anyone. It is unfortunate though. If you would have told me after that Rose Bowl game that he'd be broke and out of the NFL in six years, I probably wouldn't have believed you.

·
Registered
19,468 Posts
^Yeah he was downhill before he left the Titans. He didn't handle adversity well. A good QB can throw a few picks and still bounce back. They're unflappable. VY threw 2 picks, allegedly refused to re-enter the game, and then threw his pads into the stands after screaming at the coach. That's the opposite of unflappable.

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts
You wanna play quarterback in the nfl... learn how to ****ing pass...vince young never did... tim tebow never will

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
What is this? Don't you remember what happened in 2005?

After that Rose Bowl VY was on top of the world. Him or Reggie Bush could've gone first. Even with all his mechanical flaws VY went 3rd overall. Tebow, who's way more decorated than VY, went 25th. VY as a prospect >>>>>>> Tebow as a prospect.

VY flamed out of the league crazy fast though. He just doesn't strike me as a guy you can bet your organization on. Mercurial QBs don't last in the NFL.
Vince Young never should have went that high no one in Titans organization even wanted him except for the owner. When you look at his character issue, flawed mechanics, and the fact that he was a project going to a team whose coaching staff didn't want him which possibly hindered his development him being out of the league should not shock anyone. Maybe if he went to team that wanted him with Andy Reid-type QB guru that could have worked on hiding his flaws and if he had a better work ethic he could have been McNabb-esqe.

·
Registered
19,468 Posts
Vince Young never should have went that high no one in Titans organization even wanted him except for the owner. When you look at his character issue, flawed mechanics, and the fact hathat he was a project going to a team whose coaching staff didn't want him which possibly hindered his development him being out of the league should not shock anyone. Maybe if he went to team that wanted him with Andy Reid-type QB guru that could have worked on hiding his flaws and if he had a better work ethic he could have been McNabb-esqe.
If Bud Adams didn't insist on taking him 3rd, he would still be taken ahead of Leinart or Cutler. Sure he had some flags, but...

On-field performance trumps combine stats and drill results. What a moment.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts