Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you take Vince Carter's stats as a Net and compare them to his best years in Toronto, an argument can made [easily] that he is playing the best ball of his career.

Here is the comparison...this year's Net numbers vs. best previous year's numbers.

points per game: 26.3 vs. 27.6 [2000-01]

missed games: 0 vs. 0 [1999-00]

minutes per game: 38.9 vs. 39.8 [2001-02]

shooting percentage: 44.6% vs. 46.5% [2002-03]

three point shooting: 42.8% vs. 40.8% [2000-01]

rebounding: 6.1 vs. 5.8 [1999-00]

asists: 4.7 vs. 4.8 [2003-04]

steals: 1.36 vs. 1.57 [2001-02]

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
nice this is great with 1 yr later as a net under his belt it can only get betta for the nets

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
TheRoc5 said:
nice this is great with 1 yr later as a net under his belt it can only get betta for the nets
Next year I think his stats will take a hit with RJ and a better PF in the lineup.

What he has done is amazing for the Nets.

-Petey

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Trade him while his stock is up!!!

;)

Seriously, nice comparison there, NI. I haven't even noticed his numbers with the Nets until today.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
schub said:
Trade him while his stock is up!!!

;)
:curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :cry:

-Petey

·
Registered
839 Posts
it also helps having a strong surrounding group that can hit those jumpers consistently, so that everyone can take notice. it makes him better, and the team gets better. so everyone gets in on it! :twave:

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What did he say when he came over? "Be my friend now, not later", promising he was going to make people regret what they had said about him.

At the time of the trade there was all this bull about how he had lost a step or couldn't sky like he used to or that he had peaked...or yada or yada or yada. Dave Dallesandro [who I respect] wrote about how the Nets had to be careful with expectations, not knowing which Vince Carter they were getting. Slowly but surely, he has made each of those criticisms look silly or damned silly...the last being that he couldnt dunk like he used to. He dismantled that conventional wisdom during the All-Star game.

The irony is that the Vince Carter we got is not the tired and worn Vince Carter, not the old Vince Carter, but a new and improved Vince Carter. He just makes it looked so damned easy.

Here's to you, Rob Babcock...DUNCE!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
VC will be even more efficient when RJ comes back. I feel those two will only help each other out more.

Most teams have one super solid perimeter defender that they use to cover the opposing swingman. That pretty much means when Jefferson comes back he'll have an easier time working 1v1 (since VC will draw the top flight defender). RJ will be able to get to the hole and probably draw some defense of of VC, letting him do some spot up shooting, which is his strong point offensively. We could see Carter notching +2 threes a game next season easily.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
roro26 said:
it also helps having a strong surrounding group that can hit those jumpers consistently
Oh you mean Buford, Mercer, Best, Collins, Cliffy, Scalabrine? :rolleyes:

Personally, I don't think this has been the best year of Vince's career. Living in Toronto, watching vince single-handedly leading his team to the playoffs, and into the second round (i think it was 2000) was his best year. He averaged almost 28 points a game and he was in his 3rd nba season! Tmac had left the year before, and Vince was playing with a purpose. The same thing is happening here in Jersey, Vince has finally returned to superstar status.

If Vince can lead us to the playoffs, and deep into the playoffs, then it might be his best year yet.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
until vince average 28/6/5 and leads u guys deeep into the players, one shot shy of going to the Eastern Conference Finals, then u can argue that he had his best season..until then i think the year we played philly will be his best year...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I agree. But he's pretty damn close to where he was in 2000, and considering back then he was being deemed the successor to Michael Jordan, we got a pretty good deal for him.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
NetIncome said:
missed games: 0 vs. 0 [1999-00]

[2001-02]
Dude, he missed his what? first 5 games? w/ the Nets? How's that zero games missed?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nets didnt put in on IL. Raptors did. Another of their idiot moves re Vince.

As for those Toronto fans who note that Vince carried them into the playoffs in 2000-01, uh, gentleman, are you watching what's going on now?

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
the nets aren't IN THE PLAYOFFS YET

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
NetIncome said:
Nets didnt put in on IL. Raptors did. Another of their idiot moves re Vince.

As for those Toronto fans who note that Vince carried them into the playoffs in 2000-01, uh, gentleman, are you watching what's going on now?
how is that an "idiot move" do u know how the NBA works...when a player is seriously hurt...u put him on the IL so he can rest, while u can have a full 12 man roster to go out on the floor...and u guys are not in the playoffs yet..however i do agree VC is carrying ur team to it...but when u are in the playoffs then u can say he did it...and he has Jason Kidd arguably the best point guard in the league..back then he had no one..our second best player was Antonio Davis....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts