Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
Vlade...

But I couldn't tell you, haven't seen Ostertag play for the Kings much... But as far as locker room prescence and nice passing it's Vlade, even though I hated watching Vlade lazy around the court on defense...

·
Registered
988 Posts
Vlade was a good passer but he is just one player, there are other good passers on the team losing one good passer shouldn't hurt. The aquisition of Ostertag will prove helpful with his capabilities coming off the bench.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Letting Vlade go was a bad idea, as it seems to have pushed Peja over the edge for the trade demand. Chemistry and locker room leadership will certainly be lost, Ostertag will never in a million years replace that obviously.

But as far as on-court skillsets are concerned, Ostertag brings much needed rebounding and defensive toughness. Can block a few shots. Solid pickup. Not a great shooter, scorer or passer by any means, but a good garbage scorer.

Overall, Kings will probably get a better overall player for their needs in Ostertag, but will lose out on all the intangibles and leadership Vlade brought.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Vlade on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and from 8am - 5pm on Sunday.:yes:

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
But of course, we only had to pay Ostertag half the money, and Vlade isn't twice as good... So...

·
Registered
993 Posts
I dont think anyone is going to try to make the case that 'Tag is better than Vlade, but like others said, hopefully Greg can bring some things we need, and Chris can do everything Vlade did one the court (and more) Maybe Chris was right about a little lockerroom tension too.

One thing no one talked about during the Minnesota series that I saw, and that Vlade's departure effects. When the high post offense definetally wasnt flowing, they just kept trying it in vain, but now, with Vlade gone, hopefully when there are problems with the usual offence, they will mix in a more traditional set were Bibby does the passing, to give defenses a differnet look. I wish they wouls have tried this against Minnesota.

·
MANRAM!
18,056 Posts
Item: Los Angeles Lakers center Vlade Divac, 36, herniated a disc in his back during informal drills this week and is expected to miss the beginning of training camp, at the very least. Divac signed a two-year deal with the Lakers after playing the previous six with the Sacramento Kings.

What it really means: For everyone who jumped all over astute Kings president Geoff Petrie, this is a good example of why he did not give in to Divac's multiyear contract demands and signed Greg Ostertag instead. There is no denying Divac's slick play and leadership qualities. But just as obvious has been his physical deterioration. He has never been one to exert himself conditioning-wise, and even before the injury, it was going to be interesting to see how many minutes Lakers coach Rudy Tomjanovich expected him to play. Now it's even more likely Brian Grant and Chris Mihm will get a lot more minutes at center than they might have expected.
http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/7719682

1 - 17 of 17 Posts