Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Who will be the second-best starting center in the NBA next season?

• Alonzo Mourning

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • Vlade Divac

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • David Robinson

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Michael Olowokandi

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Dikembe Mutombo

Votes: 1 2.6%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I forgot to ask you guys who the second-best starting center in the NBA will be next year on my "Ranking NBA starting centers" post earlier. We all know who the #1 C in the league is--but who will be the #2 C next year? Here are your choices:

Alonzo Mourning
Vlade Divac
David Robinson
Michael Olowokandi
Dikembe Mutombo

Vote!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hmmm..........

MICHAEL OLOWAKANDI

Watch.........Be Wowed.........Be Amazed

"The Kandi Man"........coming to a theater near you.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Tim Duncan. He is a center NOT a PF. Check his position. He played center in college and high school. The only reason he played PF was because of David. He will return to his natural position after David retires.

But if we are going by your list then I would say Zo if he can stay healthy. He is a tenacious defender and a great team leader.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HUNTERB14: David Robinson is playing next year. It's his last season. He's still a top five center, and so yeah, he's the starting center in San Antonio, Duncan is the starting PF.

MICHAEL OLOWOKANDI! Take a look at this dude's stats over the final twelve games of last season. Sure, he was playing a lot of minutes, and he was gunning for a big fat contract, but STILL! Take a look:

39.1 minutes/game
18.3 points/game
45.0 FG%
9.2 rebounds/game
0.51 assist-to-turnover ratio
1.25 steals/game
1.92 blocks/game

If he put those kinds of numbers up over an entire season, no doubt, he'd be the #2 C in the league. We'll see. I think we saw what Olowokandi is CAPABLE of down the stretch last season. But guys don't necessarily play up to their potential, especially big guys, and ESPECIALLY if you give them a big fat contract! I mean, if you give a guy a big fat contract, what INCENTIVE does he have to play up to his potential? It's a guaranteed contract!

Obviously, if Olowokandi goes out there next year and puts up those kinds of numbers, he'll get maxed out by SOMEBODY next summer. I still say that I've seen this sort of thing happen PLENTY of times before. Benoit Benjamin used to put up HUGE numbers when he was gunning for a new contract. Derrick Coleman is perhaps the best example EVER of a guy who waits until he's playing for a new contract to play up to his potential.

We'll see about Olowokandi! BUT, either way, those are GREAT stats up there, aren't they?

I voted for Alonzo, too, by the way.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I think Zo too... Hopefully he can return back to the playing condition he left and his health continually improves and gets stronger...

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Kandi. Hes not a Shaq stopper but hes the closest thing this league has. Now that he has a point gaurd to distribute he will be more of an offensive force. Kandi and Brand-i. Scary!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Dragnsmke1</b>!
Kandi. Hes not a Shaq stopper but hes the closest thing this league has. Now that he has a point gaurd to distribute he will be more of an offensive force. Kandi and Brand-i. Scary!
Kandi doesn't have a PG yet... He still a FA right?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
What about Jermaine O'Neal? Isn't he starting center for the Pacers?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Originally posted by <b>bender</b>!
What about Jermaine O'Neal? Isn't he starting center for the Pacers?

Yeah, and Tinsley is the starting SG.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Originally posted by <b>robyg1974</b>!
HUNTERB14: David Robinson is playing next year. It's his last season. He's still a top five center, and so yeah, he's the starting center in San Antonio, Duncan is the starting PF.

MICHAEL OLOWOKANDI! Take a look at this dude's stats over the final twelve games of last season. Sure, he was playing a lot of minutes, and he was gunning for a big fat contract, but STILL! Take a look:

39.1 minutes/game
18.3 points/game
45.0 FG%
9.2 rebounds/game
0.51 assist-to-turnover ratio
1.25 steals/game
1.92 blocks/game

If he put those kinds of numbers up over an entire season, no doubt, he'd be the #2 C in the league. We'll see. I think we saw what Olowokandi is CAPABLE of down the stretch last season. But guys don't necessarily play up to their potential, especially big guys, and ESPECIALLY if you give them a big fat contract! I mean, if you give a guy a big fat contract, what INCENTIVE does he have to play up to his potential? It's a guaranteed contract!

Obviously, if Olowokandi goes out there next year and puts up those kinds of numbers, he'll get maxed out by SOMEBODY next summer. I still say that I've seen this sort of thing happen PLENTY of times before. Benoit Benjamin used to put up HUGE numbers when he was gunning for a new contract. Derrick Coleman is perhaps the best example EVER of a guy who waits until he's playing for a new contract to play up to his potential.

We'll see about Olowokandi! BUT, either way, those are GREAT stats up there, aren't they?

I voted for Alonzo, too, by the way.
If you are so impressed with Kandi's stats, let's compare him vs. another center that is not on this list. These are post All-Star game stats.

Kandi, 27, 7'0" 270 lbs

37.0 minutes/game
15.5 points/game
43.9 FG%
9.5 rebounds/game
0.6 assist-to-turnover ratio
1.0 steals/game
1.6 blocks/game

Mystery Man, 26, 7'0" 260 lbs

30.7 minutes/game
15.0 points/game
55.3 FG%
7.9 rebounds/game
1.3 assist-to-turnover ratio
0.8 steals/game
0.5 blocks/game

Another hint, Mystery Man's team made the playoffs. I guess he deserves to be MAXED out too next year.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
re: NCBullsFan:

Are you talking about Brad Miller whom is 6-10 240 not 7-0 260, also he doesn't play D except for the hack, and he can block shots either, which is essential for a center.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by <b>NCBullsFan</b>!

If you are so impressed with Kandi's stats, let's compare him vs. another center that is not on this list. These are post All-Star game stats.

Kandi, 27, 7'0" 270 lbs

37.0 minutes/game
15.5 points/game
43.9 FG%
9.5 rebounds/game
0.6 assist-to-turnover ratio
1.0 steals/game
1.6 blocks/game

Mystery Man, 26, 7'0" 260 lbs

30.7 minutes/game
15.0 points/game
55.3 FG%
7.9 rebounds/game
1.3 assist-to-turnover ratio
0.8 steals/game
0.5 blocks/game

Another hint, Mystery Man's team made the playoffs. I guess he deserves to be MAXED out too next year.
Eric Montross?

·
Registered
885 Posts
brad miller is not 6'10 240 mr goods. he is a legit 7 footer and 260. he IS taller than jermaine oneal who is a legit 6'11. i watch many pacer games every year and i can tell who is legit in their listings and who isn't. and brad miller plays good defense. you are simply jealous he doesn't play for your team.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Malakian</b>!

WTF? They just got Andre Miller.
Technecally...He doesn't have Miller if he's not under contract with the Clippers, now is he?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts