33,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
31-31 at the half.

Key Stats:

-Martin Klimes 5-6 FG, 3-3 FT, 13pts, 2 blks
-Trimboli, 1-5 FG, 0-4 3pt FG 2pts

-Wagner 3pt shooting: 5-9
-Vermont 3pt shooting: 1-7

I am going to go on record and say I do not like the way Lonergan is substituting at all. We are now at game #6, if you include preseason games. Lonergan should know who he can count on by now.

Maybe I am just used to TB playing his best players the majority of the time, and going 8 deep max. Vermont had an eight point lead with roughly around 5 minutes to go in the first half, then sub'd out Trimboli, Schneider, Klimes, etc and the only starter on the court was Holm. Wagner then went on a solid run, and took the lead. If they lose this game, it will be because of that stretch of the game.

At one point, he sub'd 4 guys into the game at once, the announcer quipped "here comes the line change." :(

Not impressed with the head coaching style, UVM should be winning this game right now.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Nice win...listening to the post-game report on the radio..I miss the old announcers (the new guy sounds very corporate and slick) and I miss listening to Agel being grumpy and short.

·
Premium Member
33,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great W. Great effort in the second half.

Kyle Cieplicki really had a nice game in the second half, hopefully he has regained his confidence.

Trimboli played a great game despite not shooting so hot, 8:1 assist to turnover ratio is terrific.

Klimes, great game, Holm really contributed as well.

Monday against Holy Cross will be a good one.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Couldn't make it to the game on Saturday, and could only listen 'til about the 5-minute mark in the 1st Half, but...great to see the Cats get on the board with a win, against a very competitive NEC team...and a Wagner team that shot *9-16* from beyond the arc. Looks like Klimes had another good game, which while Vermont had a noteable front-court size advantage, Durell Vinson is a good player who tore up American, so it's great to see Klimes come away with 22 pts. on 8-10 shooting. Trimboli = 1 Turnover, definitely a step in the right direction against a good defensive team. Still 15 TOs as a team, but it's got to start with Trimboli. And finally, "Attendance-Watch": 2620...not a sell-out, but still a great crowd by AE standards. And most importantly, that's 2620 fans who saw this team get a win...and hopefully will come back on Monday for Holy Cross (sadly, I will not be one of them).

Lonergan's substitution patterns: I think the concern is a valid one...but I think you may have answered your own question. I'm not sure he *does* know who he can count on at this point...Trimboli: check...Klimes: since the Harvard game, check...Schneider: check...Next? It's still very early, but there's some inconsistancy out there with performances. And really, even with the quantity of substitutions and combinations, if you look at the boxscore, it looks as if 7 guys are going to get the bulk of the minutes: Trimboli, Klimes, Schneider, Holm, Cieplicki, McCrory, McIntosh...well, 8 when Duell gets back. I think what Lonergan's trying to do now is do now is still figure out which 5 of those 7 guys need to be on the floor together 1) in specific match-up situations, 2) while trying to keep everyone rested and/or out of foul-trouble, and 3) when you have a number of guys who don't necessarily fit into one spot (i.e. McCrory and McIntosh playing a little bigger to fill Duell's absence...Schneider sort of in-between that 2/3 spot). There's still a lot of learning curve ahead for everyone...and a lot of it will be re-lived when Duell is inserted into action.

Anyway, should be a good showdown with Holy Cross...they're a tough squad with a good backcourt: Thomas, Hamilton, and Simmons will all be tough for UVM to handle. Thomas vs. Trimboli at the point should be an interesting match-up in particular. Not really impressed with the Crusaders' front-court...I think, the way he's played in the last 2 games, Klimes could have another big night...and I think will *need* to have a big night for the Cats to be successful. I think Holy Cross has a little deeper bench than UVM...but I'm not convinced that necessarily makes them better. I'm thinking Vermont might be able to get out of here with a win...probably 5 points or less, but a win's a win if you can get it.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
GoCatsGo said:
Thomas vs. Trimboli at the point should be an interesting match-up in particular. QUOTE]

Thomas & Trimboli spen 2 high school years together at Trinity Catholic with Trimboli backing up Thomas.

By the way.....very impressed with the 8:1 ratio in Trimboli's last game.....phenomenal stats and composure from a frosh!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
As of today, Trimboli seems to be the runaway favorite for Rookie of the Year in the conference. McIntosh isn't putting up the numbers I expected yet.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Will said:
As of today, Trimboli seems to be the runaway favorite for Rookie of the Year in the conference. McIntosh isn't putting up the numbers I expected yet.
McIntosh looks a little uncomfortable out there. I wish Lonergan would give him a lot more minutes for him to work into it. The potential is there.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I think if he's struggling its a good idea to work him into it slowly. He'll be fine in the long run, we are still trying to win some games though. I think he's got to earn the minutes he gets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts