Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(not to take away from sweet's ant eye eating thread - ok, ick!)

i saw this movie last night. opens friday.

joaquin phoenix is outstanding as johnny cash. does his own singing. just owns the role. owns it.

but the REVELATION is reese witherspoon as june carter cash. can you say oscar nomination?

it's beautifully shot. the music is great. all the performances are outstanding. robert patrick as johnny's dad could get a best supporting nod.

and when you think about johnny cash, jerry lee lewis, carl perkins, roy orbison, elvis et al. touring the podunk towns together back in the day having all come out of the memphis label "sun records", it's like watching history unfold.

loved the scene at the record company (reprise) where johnny tells the execs he wants to record a live record at folsom prison and they all look at him like he's from mars. of course it goes on to become the seminal record of it's kind, outselling the beatles.

really great movie. a classic.

two thumbs up from miz.

http://www.walkthelinethemovie.com/

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Thanks for the review miz, I'm a huge Cash fan and I've been planning to see this as soon as I get a chance when it opens.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JRose5 said:
Thanks for the review miz, I'm a huge Cash fan and I've been planning to see this as soon as I get a chance when it opens.

then run don't walk. you will LOVE it.

fun cameo: Scooter Jennings plays his dad Waylon Jennings in one scene. And the guy who plays Jerry Lee Lewis is great too.

and if you ever find yourself in memphis, you should go to Sun Studios. you can tour the teeny room where all this music was created and recorded. it sent chills down my spine when i went there. standing in the same room that elvis once sang in.

and if you've never been to graceland you owe it to yourself to experience the "jungle den" once in your life. it was a life changing experience for miz.

:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
mizenkay said:

fun cameo: Scooter Jennings plays his dad Waylon Jennings in one scene. And the guy who plays Jerry Lee Lewis is great too.

and if you ever find yourself in memphis, you should go to Sun Studios. you can tour the teeny room where all this music was created and recorded. it sent chills down my spine when i went there. standing in the same room that elvis once sang in.

and if you've never been to graceland you owe it to yourself to experience the "jungle den" once in your life. it was a life changing experience for miz.

Shooter :D, but no matter, that sounds pretty great to me.
I might have to check out that Sun Studios, make a trip out of it.

I'm watching the Cash Tribute on CBS now, a bunch of live performances covering Cash songs.
Good stuff.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
I plan to see this Friday. It seems like it'll be a bit like Ray, but the Johnny Cash version, which is a good thing, and I love Reese Witherspoon with an undying passion.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Harry Potter sold out and I saw this.... i didn't like it very much... but i am not a fan of country music so....

but I have to give the acting props... music got on my nerves a little

the movie is almost exactly like Ray... which i thought was decent

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Finally saw this last weekend, I thought it was great.
I listen to basically everything (except most contempory country, still can't stand that) so I like anything from NWA to Cash, depending on the mood. :D
Having listened to alot of his stuff and owning several of his cds (including Live at Folsom and Live at San Quentin), I knew most of the songs in the movie, and most of the story too.
I would imagine thats why I liked it so much, I can see why other people wouldn't, especially someone that doesn't like older country music.

Though even if you don't, its still a good story, similar to Ray.
I thought both Phoenix and Witherspoon did an excellent job, even moreso when you consider they did all the singing themselves.
Not to mention Reece Witherspoon looks amazing with dark hair and a southern accent.
:D

·
Sunlight in a distant sky
2,810 Posts
mizenkay said:

May be sacrilege to say ..but Graceland didn't really do a lot for me

I was more jazzed about checking out all of Albert Collins's old haunts

Sun Studios is kind of cool though I admit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts