Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Give the man his props. How can anyone honestly say that he is holding the Mavericks team back. I can't believe there were people that said he wouldn't be an upgrade over Raef. Hopefully people will stop calling him selfish.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Walker is in the best possible situation for a player of his skills at Dallas. Good to see #8 flourishing

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Well Walker has been great for the Mavs. Hes their best player this year I think.

But Mavs fans cant really say the trades worked for the better since the Mavs arent nearly where they were last year this time.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
He boarded and dished most the game, most of his points came towards the end of the game.

All the Walker haters can just keep on with the BS about him, but he was huge factor in tonight's win and I didn't see one selfish play or one forced shot behind the arc. This man was born to play point forward, atleast half Jamison's points came from Walker touching the ball 1st.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Walker is a good player, but does he really make the Mavs better? 4-19 shooting isn't very good. He shouldn't be taking more than 10 shots a game unless he heats up.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Walker is really good suited with Mavs.

The only thing I can think off why Mavs are playing worse than last season.

1) Van Exel, he was seriously a very good player off the bench for them, more effective than Bobby Jackson for Kings. Although Exel did start some games.

2) Gelling together. It may take the whole season. Playoffs, Mavs are probably the only team that can Outscore Lakers regularly in a series...

There's no point winning 60, when you dont win the ring. Its all about the playoffs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Mavs have the potential to become the top team in the NBA. Nash, Nowitski, Finley, Walker, Jamison - the list goes on.

However, I think that the thing that is letting them down is their very poor defense. They allow the most points per game and the highest FG% in the NBA. Luckily they also rank amongst the top in points per game, which is really the one factor which is keeping them in the highly competitive Western conference.

Their team chemistry is also one major issue which needs a lot of work. Right now, besides Nash, I don't really see them playing team basketball.

·
Registered
785 Posts
walker is the best player on the mavs. he is unselfish, he creates for others, he rebound, hustles and makes clutch shots.
at this moment he is the most underrated superstar in the league. there's still much hate left from last year where he played hurt for a team which only designed play in their gameplan was the 3pointer. that hurt his reputation.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Don't forget the #9 myth in the NBA...

that Antoine Walker even belongs in the League!

:rotf:

It's good to see him prove the doubters wrong. Those shooting stats aren't good though.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
I only got to watch a bit of the first quarter of the game against the 76ers, and 'Toine really impressed me.

:greatjob: for Walker!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Walker is the sole reason Mavs suck this year.

As I mentioned before you should be looking at his 4 - 19 and 6 -18 shooting , not triple doubles . That's 10 out of 37 last two games. His bricklaying and attitude undermines the whole team.
Completely takes away from Nash, Novitzky and Finley everything they had last season.

They are averaging about the same number of assists and rebounds which means Walker is simply taking away somebody elses numbers, not adding more of those. And Dallas is averaging 6 points per game less with Walker this season

Get rid of him as soon as possible. Walker is the worst possible player anybody can have on their team.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JazzMan</b>!
Don't forget the #9 myth in the NBA...

that Antoine Walker even belongs in the League!
He may shoot too much, but he has become a very versatile player. Love him or hate him, there is no denying his basketball talent.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
I think he meant to go double negative, a myth and does NOT.

Impressive. He could work on:

Defense
Getting teammates back to 60 win form
Putting the ball through the hoop into the net

·
Registered
775 Posts
I think he could record a double double in rebounds and assists...

Yeah, he's a good player though. But he could probably pass up a few more shots.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
I think he could record a double double in rebounds and assists...
You think wrong, and *edited*. If he's averaging 10 assists and 10 rebounds, he'll be averaging 10 points as well. For someone to say Antoine Walker can average a triple double, excuse my French, but thats just ****ed up!:sigh:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Welcome to Walker World

Antoine was the player that I found myself loving one minute and then hating the next minute when he was with the Celtics.

First, let me say that I love Antoine as a player. He is a great leader, he is a great paser and ball handler for someone his size, he has some clever ways to score around the basket, he is a good rebounder when he finds himself in close enough to rebound, as a teammate he has your back, he can get very hot from the three point line, he can and has played every position on the floor. Antoine has a very strong personality. This is a great trait in a person...but sometimes it is a tough trait for a team.

Antoine has his faults. He takes ill-advised shots before the offense has had a chance to try to run a play for a better shot. Sometimes he controls the ball for too long on a possession...the result is either a great pass for an easy shot, a poor shot because the offense is stagnant, or a turnover.

In Boston for a couple of years he was the only player with any real talent that the C's had. With Pierce, Walker became part of a playoff team.

Can Walker coexist with a very talented team and be a part of a championship? That is the chance that the Mavericks are taking this season. Many are impressed with Walker. Some are saying that he is the best player on the Mavs. I'll let you in on something that should not be a secret: Dirk Nowitski is the best player on the Mavs. Here is another: Steve Nash is the next best player. The two together are magic.

I think that Walker is great. I also think that Walker's strength of personality, and his domination of the ball are having a negative impact on the Mavs at times. Nash is one of the best point guards in the NBA. He needs to be the man handling the ball most of the time. Nowitski is one of the best shooters in the NBA. He is the one who should be taking the shots for Dallas.

I have seen Walker work wonderfully with Dallas. There are times when a Mavs fan can really beleive that they will finally win the whole thing.

I have, however, seen Walker's game take away from Nash and Dirk.

Overall, I think that the Mavs made a killing in the Walker deal in terms of talent. But I question whether Walker can become more of a pure team player who can help elevate his teammates game in Dallas and put them over the other West elite.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jmk</b>!

You think wrong, and stupid. If he's averaging 10 assists and 10 rebounds, he'll be averaging 10 points as well. For someone to say Antoine Walker can average a triple double, excuse my French, but thats just ****ed up!:sigh:
I think he meant recording a double-double in assists and rebounds in a game, not averaging it.

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
how about this?

Among other things last night, the Mavs got an excellent triple-double from Antoine Walker in the form of 11 points, 13 assists and 17 rebounds before he fouled out in the second OT. Walker became the first Mav since Jason Kidd in 1996 to produce back-to-back triple-doubles.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/basketball/nba/7714556.htm
the first since Kidd? I'm suprised that Steve Nash hasn't had back to back 3 x dubs.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Sean</b>!
how about this?

the first since Kidd? I'm suprised that Steve Nash hasn't had back to back 3 x dubs.
If I am not mistaken, Nash got the first triple double of his career, earlier this season against the Blazers.

OT: Another record- Kidd was the first, and, I think, till this point, the only Maverick to start in an ASG.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts