SG-Allan Houston
PG-Terrell Brandon

MN:
C-Rasho Nesterovic
PF-Joe Smith
SF-Kevin Garnett
SG-Latrell Spreewell
PG-Frank Williams

WHY NY DOES IT: They finally get a good PG in Brandon-and they get Wally to replace Spree.

WHY MN DOES IT: They get rid of Wally-and they recieve two young guys who could turn out to be as good as Brandon

·
Registered
973 Posts
The T-Wolves sorta get screwed, but its an overall fair trade.

I don't think the T-Wolves would do this, cuz it weakens their point guard position, and if they want to win, then they would try to acquire another point guard to back up Brandon just in case he gets injured.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by <b>shroombal</b>!
The T-Wolves sorta get screwed, but its an overall fair trade.

I don't think the T-Wolves would do this, cuz it weakens their point guard position, and if they want to win, then they would try to acquire another point guard to back up Brandon just in case he gets injured.
Here is my reasoning:

Spreewell is better then Wally
Williams and Postell MIGHT end up being as good as Brandon.

The T-Wolves take a slight risk..but they were going to have to sign a backup PG anyway.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Wilt_The_Stilt</b>!
Spreewell is better then Wally
You honestly think that an aging slasher, that relied so much on athleticism in his career, is better than Wally? Maybe if we time-machine Latrell back to his G.S. days, when he was still a great athlete the trade would work... but as of now, Wally has much more value than Spreewell, and an aging/injured Terrell Brandon still has more value than Frank Williams and Postell, in my opinion.

Remember how bad Spreewell started looking towards the end of the season? Some players are very effective to late in their careers, but Spreewell won't be one of them. No player that relies mostly on athleticism will be.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think Spree is better than Wally. All Wally can really do is shoot jumpers. Spree slashes, shoots, and hustles.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Originally posted by <b>g-dog-rice</b>!
I think Spree is better than Wally. All Wally can really do is shoot jumpers. Spree slashes, shoots, and hustles.
Did you see how much Spree slowed down towars the end of last year? He's going to be 32... how much longer do you think he can rely on athleticism? (keep in mind the pounding his body his taken playing SF against people bigger than him every ngiht the last few years)

As for Wally just being able to shoot jumpers... when a jumpshot shooter is a career 50% shooter, you know he's an incredible shooter. He'd be huge to have on any team.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Do you think Wally will stay 50% much longer?!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Of course he'll stay at 50%. You don't have to exactly be in the best shape to shoot. Shooting is about technique, and shooting threes is like 2nd nature to Wally now.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
He's done it every single year he's been in the league... so it proves that he knows what a smart shot is.

Whether or not he actually stays at 50+ or not... I think it's a guarantee that he'll always have an exceptional shooting %.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Wally wants to go- that is the main point.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
They wouldn't have to trade him yet... and I think the rumored Blazers deal (Stoudamire and Bonzi for Brandon/Wally/Peeler) is a much better choice than the Knicks deal above. I think Bonzi is better than Spreewell now, and is still getting better (as opposed to the lightning-quick slowdown I think we'll see in Spreewell in the coming seasons).

·
Registered
450 Posts
they are either gonna trade wally this year or next, so mind as well get somebody good out of it right now and save some time.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Wally...

Knicks fans or whoever else can just FORGET about the T-Wolves trading Wally World for freaking LATRELL SPREWELL. It's not going to happen, and the reason why AIN'T just because Wally is a lot better than Spree at this point (Spree REALLY slipped last year).

If the T-Wolves wanted to keep Wally for themselves, they could; they could give him a big extension. If not for the max, then close to the max. He'll get some max or near-max offers next summer.

If the T-Wolves wanted to pay a guy $9-$11 mil/year, they'd just re-sign Wally and keep him for themselves rather than trade for LATRELL SPREWELL.

Right now, Wally makes $2.9 mil. He'll make $2.9 mil all season long. NEXT summer, he'll be a restricted free agent, and his salary will balloon. The reason the T-Wolves want to trade him NOW is because they don't want to pay another guy $11-$13 mil/year. If they wait until NEXT summer to trade him, they're going to have to pull a sign-and-trade, which means that they're going to have to re-sign Wally to a huge contract and THEN trade him, they'll have to take on around $10 mil in return. They are having some serious payroll problems (because of KG's contract, and Terrell Brandon's contract doesn't help), that's the whole source of this problem--so the T-Wolves WON'T wait until NEXT summer to trade Wally. AGAIN, if the T-Wolves wanted to pay a guy $9-$11 mil/year, they'd just re-sign Wally and keep him for themselves.

So Wally AIN'T gonna go to the Knicks, not unless a third team gets involved, and three-way trades are about as common in the NBA as are the OTHER kind of three-ways are for guys like us, if you know what I'm saying.

I'm sure that Kevin McHale wants to trade Wally and either Anthony Peeler or Marc Jackson for a re-signed Bonzi Wells (starting at about $6-$7 mil/year, which is a lot cheaper than what Wally will go for next summer), but that Portland is insisting on McHale swapping Damon Stoudamire for Terrell Brandon (and filler, i.e., Jackson or Peeler, whichever one hasn't already been included). I just don't see ANYBODY trading for DAMON STOUDAMIRE and his terrible contract, and I don't see how the Trailblazers can complain about that. So it seems to ME that Kevin McHale has the upper hand here, don't you think?

So yeah, this is the trade that PORTLAND wants to happen:

Bonzi and Stoudamire to the T-Wolves; Wally, Brandon, Peeler, and Jackson to the T-Blazers

And this is the trade that MINNESOTA wants to happen:

Bonzi to the T-Wolves; Wally and either Peeler or Jackson to the T-Blazers

[NOTE: Peeler has one year left on his deal, while Jackson has at least four left on his, so Minnesota would obviously rather trade Jackson; why did they trade for this guy last season in the FIRST place, does anybody KNOW?]

CONCLUSION. Look for the second trade there to EVENTUALLY happen, unless another team out there is interested in Wally World and gets involved (besides the Knicks; Wally World AIN'T gonna go to the Knicks, I repeat, Wally World AIN'T gonna go to the Knicks).

QUESTION. Who starts at the point for Minnesota when Brandon goes down with the inevitable injury? My guess is that, sooner or later, ONE of these available free agent PGs breaks down and takes a 1 yr minimum salary deal with a team that will allow him to play heavy minutes, he can THEN have a big year and try again for a good contract NEXT summer.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
You guys have to remember that Spree has been playing out of position for years now. He will play alot better if he moves back down to the 2. As far as him getting old, I agree but he will be up for another contract before his age makes too much of a problem. However good you guys think Wally is, Kevin and Wally dont play well together, its a simple as that. Wally wants to be the man, the go to guy, but its not going to happen with KG in his way. Wally needs to go, I think getting Spree and Frank Williams would be a good deal for the Wolves. Not to mention how much money Wally thinks he should get when he resigns.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Originally posted by <b>R-Star</b>!
You guys have to remember that Spree has been playing out of position for years now. He will play alot better if he moves back down to the 2. As far as him getting old, I agree but he will be up for another contract before his age makes too much of a problem. However good you guys think Wally is, Kevin and Wally dont play well together, its a simple as that. Wally wants to be the man, the go to guy, but its not going to happen with KG in his way. Wally needs to go, I think getting Spree and Frank Williams would be a good deal for the Wolves. Not to mention how much money Wally thinks he should get when he resigns.
Like I said, fellas--there are SEVERAL reasons why Wally AIN'T gonna go to the Knicks. Here is what each guy is making next year:

Wally World--$2.9 mil
Spree--$12.4 mil

You can't trade the two guys straight up, obviously.

The T-Wolves could include Terrell Brandon to make it work, I guess, and the Knicks could include Frank Williams--I suppose THAT is a good way of dumping Brandon. But that STILL doesn't make sense. Brandon's contract lasts for three more years--but so does Spree's! And HOW does this trade make Minnesota a better basketball team? It DOESN'T save them money, and it DOESN'T make them a better team--so why would they do it? Answer: THEY WON'T!

BOTTOM LINE: It's all downhill for Spree, regardless of what position you play him at. If Wally never gets any better than he was last season, and if Spree never gets any worse, Wally is STILL a LOT better than Spree at this point in their careers, it's not really even close, nor is it debatable. Wally ain't going to the Knicks, that's all there is to it, I don't care how much he wants to play for them.

SIDE NOTE. Here are some guys who the T-Wolves should be able to get to play PG for them, for a 1 year veteran's minimum deal, next year--which guy do YOU think is the best fit in Minnesota next year?

Travis Best
Troy Hudson
Erick Strickland
Kevin Ollie
Rod Strickland

Dark horse: Mookie Blaylock

1 - 15 of 15 Posts