Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Dragnsmke1</b>!
why would San An do this? must be a 10 day contract.
Huh? It surely wont be a 10-day contract with a dozen teams wanting Ward.

SA needs a better backup point. Ward is a steady player and good defender. Fits in perfect.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,473 Posts
I don't know when Ward suddenly went from disappointing mediocrity, at best, to valued asset.

I don't think he changes the situation in the West at all, going to San Antonio. They've added a poor player who will get a few minutes a game.

Man, I can't believe I've been driven to this, but even Derek Fisher is a better backup point guard.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Minstrel</b>!
I don't know when Ward suddenly went from disappointing mediocrity, at best, to valued asset.

I don't think he changes the situation in the West at all, going to San Antonio. They've added a poor player who will get a few minutes a game.

Man, I can't believe I've been driven to this, but even Derek Fisher is a better backup point guard.
Charlie Ward is actually a pretty good player. He can't really create his own shot anymore but he's a terrific spot up shooter. He's always among the league leaders in 3pt FGs and %. He's not quite the man to man defender that he was in the past but he's still got quick hands and knocks a ton of balls away. He's a disruptor more than anything on defense. He's a good passer and a very unselfish player. He's not going to do anything spectacular but he's not going to kill you either. He's better than Fisher too. Their production will be the same but Ward is a more consistent player. I've watched alot of his games and that is the one thing that seperated him from most of the Knicks players. He and Kurt Thomas were probably the most consistent performers on the team. I think people are still fixated on all the hype that was surrounding him when he came out. He was a first round pick who was playing in NY and who also happened to be a former Heisman Trophy winner. The fact that he gave up football for basketball, after having so much success on the gridiron, gave people the impression that he was a better basketball player than he really was. I don't think he's a bust by any means. He only choose basketball because he had a brighter future in that sport. In football he was probably going to be out of the league in a few years. In basketball he could always stick around as a backup PG. He was never going to become a superstar. He's a guy that was always going to be average but he'd able to stick around for 10-12 years as an average player. I like this pickup for the Spurs. He'll come in for 15-20 mins and run the team properly, play solid defense, and make open jumpers. Honestly, what more can you expect out of your backup PG?

·
Top Of The Pops
27,473 Posts
Well, I put Fisher ahead of Ward based on defense. I've always felt Ward's defense is overrated.

I agree, he's not a bad spot-up shooter. To me, that's his central value...which doesn't make him a good player.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Well if Anthony Carter failed miserably, I don't think Ward will exactly be a 6th man candidate. But you have to improve on Hart. I guess. SA hasn't had very good luck with backup PGs this year. Should've kept Claxton.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Dragnsmke1</b>!

what? you want the Nets to become a haven for cut players? Players dont get cut because they have too much talent.
Ward and Griffin are exceptions. Ward got cut because Phoenix can save about 3 million dollars doing so. Phoenix would rather throw the season to get a higher pick, give Barbosa playing time, and save 3 million that just having Ward there as a 3 PG. They don't need him despite him being a good player.

Eddie Griffin is also very talented, but he has had a rough time in the NBA so far with his off-the-court antics. If he can control him self and commit himself to basketball, he could become a great player.

Most times, cut players aren't very good, but these last 2 guys were an exception to the norm.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jokeaward</b>!
Well if Anthony Carter failed miserably, I don't think Ward will exactly be a 6th man candidate. But you have to improve on Hart. I guess. SA hasn't had very good luck with backup PGs this year. Should've kept Claxton.

Carter probably would have worked but he got injured.

Ward is just a good fit for the Spurs, plain and simple. They needed a spotup shooter. They needed a veteran backup PG who knows what the playoffs are about. A guy who can play some defense. It's a great signing for the Spurs.

On most other teams it wouldn't be a big deal. Because as has been stated, Ward isn't that good. But he's the right player for this situation.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
what? you want the Nets to become a haven for cut players? Players dont get cut because they have too much talent.
Ward is a good player. He got cut for salary purposes, not because he sucked. If the Suns would have held on to him past a certain date, his contract would have been guaranteed the rest of the year.

Anyway, this does help the Spurs. It may be minimal, but he is certainly an upgrade over Jason Hart.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.