The Cavs proposed this trade:
Jumaine Jones
Lammond Murray
Andre Miller

for

Mike Dunleavy
Jiri Welsch
Danny Fortson

-Warriors rejected the deal, signing Dunleavy. Dunleavy can now not be traded until December 15th.

What are your opinions on this deal? I would have traded in a heartbeat. The Warriors are trading two unproven players and a undersized power forward for an all-star point guard and two proven forwards.

I think what caused Saint to reject this deal is that next summer, when Miller is a free-agent, the warriors will have 11.54 million dollars per year available because of the expiring contracts of Mills and Sura. In the meantime, the Warriors should trade Fortson for Derrick Coleman to eat out his contract, adding another 5 million dollars for next years free-agent period. Then, trade Mike Dunleavy for James Posey and George McCloud. McCloud's contract will expire also-adding another 2.6 million for next year's free agent period-totalling 19.1 million dollars available next summer. That money should be enough to sign Andre Miller and extend Jason Richardson's contract. I'd also sign James Posey because with Antawn Jamison and Jason Richardson on the team, they have enough scorers. Posey is one of the best defenders in the league. Let's also hope the Warriors get Wang ZhiZhi this summer. Then, they trade Erick Dampier and Jiri Welsch to Seattle for Calvin Booth, Jerome James, and Shammond Williams. In next year's draft the should trade the pick away for a cheap SF. Let's take Matt Harping The second round pick should be used on Jason Kapono of UCLA.

Projected Lineup:
C: Booth/Foyle/James
PF: Jamison/Murphy/Wang
SF: Harping/Posey/Wang/Kapono
SG: Richardson/Williams/Arenas/Kapono
PG: Miller/Logan/Arenas

Looks like a playoff-caliber team. They are deep at every position.

·
Registered
413 Posts
:sleep: Come on bro, you would get rid of your 3rd overall first round pick for two scrubs.. please.. The idea though of waiting till mills and sura's contracts to expire to have 11.5 mill. or so in cap is a good idea.. Ney for the coleman deal.. he is a cancer and a head case..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Posey isnt a scrub... He is one of the elite defenders in the league and one of the 2 best rebounders in the league at the shooting guard slot... He was 2nd last year in rebounds per 48 among SGs and he was 1st the year before... But George McCloud is definatly a scrub now that he is ancient and way past his prime. And he wasnt even that good at his best... Dealing Dunleavy who you just took with the #3 pick for Posey and scrubly McCloud is stupid tho. You could get more for him if you wanted to get rid of him already for some reason. We took Posey with a #18 pick and he was a bigtime steal there but trading your newly aquired #3 pick rookie for Posey and ancient McCloud would be nutz. The warriors have tons of young backcourt talent too in Richardson/Logan/Arenas/Welsh. They dont need Posey who plays best at the 2 slot. He can play the 3 because he is 6'8 and can defend that position along with the 2 slot and point guards too but he seems to produce the most when he plays shooting guard which is why that is where he almost always plays altho he moves around a lot on defense to cover the other teams best perimeter scorer. Posey is an awesome defender and rebounder but dealing the #3 pick for him straight up with a little trash on the side is crazy. Im a Denver fan and Posey is my fav player on the team and if i was runnin the Warriors i wouldnt make that deal so you know its gotta be bad...

·
Registered
268 Posts
First of all, Posey would not bring any benifits. He IS a scrub. The W's probably rejected the deal because they could not get any assurances from Miller that He would stay after the following year.

The best thing (and the cheapest thing) the W's can do to improve is to build talent throught the draft and that's what they are doing. We have already seen what benifits overpaid whining free agents bring to the team. ZERO-mookie.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Why would Posey be a scrub? Because he isnt a good scorer? Scoring is all there is to basketball? Posey is one of the best athletes in the league at the shooting guard position. He is 6'8 with the speed to defend the point guard slot. Baron Davis for instance includes Posey when he lists the 4 best defenders in the league that he has to face... He also bring insane rebounding with the defense tho. He was 2nd among shooting guards in rebounds per 48 minutes this year and finished 1st the season before that... No shooting guard in the league was able to finish in the top 15 at their position last season in rebounds, steals and blocks per 48 and also steals per turnover ratio at the same time. No one except for Posey who finished top 6 in all 4... A 7 foot wingspan on a 6'8 frame and the speed to defend the point to go with the skillz... Of course he must be a scrub tho because he isnt a scorer... Interesting take on things... It would still be crazy to trade Dunleavy for him straight up tho. You could get way more for him...

·
Registered
268 Posts
The Warriors are LOGjammed at the 2. We dont need another 2 even if he's got skills. So no matter how sweet you think Posey is, the warriors dont need him and trading Dunleavy for a 2 guard when you already have two stud shootingn guards makes no sense to me. thats what I am talking about. Arenas or J-Rich would dominate him.

·
Registered
413 Posts
thank you Fury for backing my opinion up.. though bearcat has some points..

We already have tooo... many guards.. and we aleady have bad shooting percentages.. adding a non offensive player would not help our shooting percentage... that is why we drafted Denleavy, welsch. they are good shooters.. just what the doctor ordered.. IMO:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bobby Sura has 2 more years left on his contract. So the money you think we will have to sign Miller is not really there. We would definitley have to make at least three more trades to free up the cap space to sign Miller and also Richardson. I do agree with the Derrick Coleman trade but the rest of the post was not too conceivable.

Why would anyone trade Dunleavy for Posey. I like Posey and his game but lets wait to see what Dunleavy will bring before you sell him out for two role players. If you looking for defenders lets get Ron Artest at the SF, he is much better all-around player than Posey and we can get him for alot less than Dunleavy.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually I'd rahter have Artest instead of Posey. Basically I'm trying to say we don't need any more offensive players-we need defense. We have offensive players in Jrich and Jamison already-we need to trade our "star" Dunleavy for defense.

ET-Sura has one year left.
fury-we dont need to get any younger than we actually are. I want proven veteran players that aren't past 28 years.

·
Registered
268 Posts
JC,

I agree that we dont need to get any younger but I would hope to get veteran help from trading Fortson and/or the DAMP, Sura, Mills, etc. It would make no sense to trade Dunleavy unless you get some serious, serious value.

Is it time for hoops yet? I'm ready...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts