Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm always reading about Laimbeer, no matter where I read about basketball, no matter who's team im checking out, or newspaper articles, what have you. His name always pops up. There's always some (usually white) player someone is saying is the next Laimbeer. I've heard, Doleac was supposed to be the new Laimbeer. I've heard Brad Miller is the 2004 version of Bill Laimbeer. When a big guy can hit outside shots, and rebound he is compared to Laimbeer... Quite funny the fascination with Bill Laimbeer.

His name gets thrown around in all manner of ways. The next new coach of such and suches team. That dirty *******, who tried to murder your favorite player. The guy with absolutely 0 talent, who could only throw other players around like rag dolls, and scream and yell, and throw tantrums.

But I pride myself on my basketball memory. And the Laimbeer that I watched in this league so many moons ago was a damn good player.

He came into the league with a whimper, and left it with a bang.
An average player in college, who had to play in Italy just to get in with an NBA ballclub. Who played hard in his limited roll in Cleveland, got traded to the Pistons and became an instant success. In his first week as the starting Pistons center grabbed over 20 rebounds a game in his first three games. Plus scored in double figures. He went to All-star games in his next three seasons. Scoring 15 - 18 points a game, and grabbing 10 - 13 rebounds a night. He had a spectacular outside shot that was good from 18 feet early in his career, and good from three point range in the championship years. He scored nearly all his points with jumpers, rarely even posting up at all in a game. Which pisst-off the TRUE centers of the league like Malone and Walton. Or was it the boxing out, and the elbows that made them angry?

Laimbeer ive heard had no talent... Really? The basics in Basketball, shooting, passing, rebounding, defending. Laimbeer was good, or great at all of them. Is shooting not the hardest skill in basketball? Does that not take the most skill? Or how about moving without the ball and setting screens to free up your teammates? Is that a skill? Laimbeer was one of the greatest screen setters I can remember. Freeing up guys like Isiah, Dumars, Vinny for easy scoring off of mismatches. But otherwise 0 talent for Laimbeer right? Or do media guys love saying that because they HATE the guy so much?

Laimbeer did some crazy things. He body slammed Larry Bird in the playoffs in front of millions. He was labeled the NBA's bad boy. Poor Larry fell on his butt... sniff sniff. Give me a break. The play was hardly anything to scoff about. But those Mass boys sure do hate on ol' Laimbeer. (even to this day) Laimbeer was born in MASS. Ironic huh? Had Laimbeer played for the Celtics he would have been the most Loved man on that roster next to ol' Larry himself. (Casey Jones has said that himself)

Laimbeer left a lasting effect on our grand game, some bad, mostly good. The guy was a winner. PERIOD. Is that not what the game is about? Winning? Or is it about who jumps higher? Who has the nicest tats, and fros? Or how gracious one is to the media, and opposing players? Laimbeer and Isiah were labeled soar losers when the Bulls swept them from their thrown. To this very day it comes out. How awful those guys were for not shaking hands with Michael and the Gang. But not a word was spoken of Larry Bird doing the exact same thing to the Pistons a few years prior? Nope.

Truth is you guys Love(to hate) Laimbeer. He was quite a character. He was fun to watch, and he entertained us with his shenanigans. You all ate it up. You booed him, cursed him (heck I did too) but then he would nail that three pointer and we would all shut up, and sit back down in our seats. Back then, im sure of it... For those old enough to remember (you young bucks can go back to footlocker for some new kicks) Wanted that Dirty Bad Boy Bill on your team.

Holla

:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Great post.

As a Piston fan, I've always loved Bill Laimbeer, and can definately see why everybody else would hate him. On one end of the floor he beats the hell out of your favorite player, and then on the other end steps out and hits a 3, that must have been incredibly annoying for opposing fans to watch.

Like you said, to say Bill had no talent is just plain stupid. Bill and Isiah ran that high pick-and-roll to perfection, which Dirk and Nash love doing so much in todays game.

Today, it's still fun to watch him do the color for Pistons game and promote them incessantly on ESPN. After Bill Cartwright was fired there were some rumours Laimbeer would be offered the job. During a broadcast on UPN he is such a Pistons homer that he said he wouldn't even take the job if offered, that's what I love about him. The guy is NBA coaching material but he won't do it for anyone but Detroit.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
That's not the way I'd want to win.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The thing I hated about Laimbeer was was everytime he'd get caught doing one of his cheap tricks on the opposition (you know, like clothes lining the guy) he'd put on this whimpering baby, "poor me", "how could you call that a foul" expression and play to the refs. It was so unseemly to see him playing dirty and then be such a baby about getting caught. No wonder they called him a bad boy and not a bad man.

And he was a flopper extrordinaire.

But yes, he was very good.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think eventually he will get a head coaching job. He showed something turning around that WNBA team in one year. Ok, it's the WNBA, but still....

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I dont know about him as a player.(Didn't like the bad boys) He's a great coach though. He led the young WNBA team Detroit Shock to a championship and the best overall record in the WNBA.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
I hate Laimbeer with a passion. He is my least favorite player of all time. I am embarressed he went to Notre Dame. He never committed a foul in his life if you ask him. But him and Isaiah where two of the dirtiest players I have ever seen. I am glad he is stuck coaching in the WNBA. Do not let him coach the NBA. All he will do is teach players to be cheap shot artists.

·
Registered
488 Posts
When I was a child and the NBA games appears in spain's TV Laimbeer was my model of how a C must play.
Very hard defense, Very hard Defense, rebounding and giving some points, but (I don't want to forget this point) very hard defense.

Bill is one of the best 5 C that I've ever seen on an american court. I'm 27 and the other four are the admirall, Shaq, Hakeem, and Sabonis (perhaps he spent his best years of basketball in my country Spain).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Piri, good statement. Laimbeer was a good scorer in his early all-star years. And when the team got more talent, he sacrificed his offense to concentrate more on rebounding and defense. Yet still could score in double figures all through his career, the only times he did not average double figure points was his last 2 full seasons where he played smaller minutes.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
laimbeer was good in a system of good players, just as rodman was good when surrounded by good players. bill was actually a very good rebounder and outside shooter. i on the other hand dont see any brad miller or michael doleac comparisons and i wouldnt call rolling on the floor with larry bird a body slam but he was a warrior and a champion. the sooner he takes over the pistons the better as far as i'm concerned.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rainman, most feel Laimbeer tried to kill bird on that play. Larry felt he was intentionaly trying to hurt him. If Laimbeer wanted to hurt him, he could have easily done so.

I am not comparing Laimbeer to Miller or Doleac, the comparisons where made by sportswriters. The Doleac Comparison is a joke. Miller does have some of Laimbeer like ability. But is nowhere as good as Laimbeer (yet) Great passer Miller is.

You seem to forget that Laimbeer and Isiah MADE that system you spaek of. Isiah and Laimbeer where the cornerstones of that franchise. ANd without those two players, championship banners would never touch the palace rafters.

"I get allot of credit for what I did in Detroit... but without Bill Laimbeer none of it would have ever happened." Isiah Thomas

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Originally posted by <b>reisedogg</b>!
But him and Isaiah where two of the dirtiest players I have ever seen.
Ok, I would give you Laimbeer as one of the dirtiest players that you have ever seen, but to say that Isiah Thomas as one of the dirtiest? I would say you stopped watching basketball after Isiah retired in 1992, but then that still left me with the likes of Karl Malone, Rick Mahorn, A.C. Green, Jeff Ruland, John Stocton, Dennis Rodman etc.

I think you are projecting your hate of the 'Bad Boys' on Isiah because he was the leader of that squad. There are many words to describe Isiah Thomas in retrospect, but "dirty" is not one of them.

Back on topic, Bill Laimbeer is the type of player you would hate as an opponent but would love if he was on your team. I realized this when I was growing up in Michigan during the late 80s. The guy could play dirty, but he was still a great talent.

I remember attending a Pistons game when Laimbeer was on his last legs and he came up against rookie Shaq. He frustrated O'Neal to no end and the Pistons ended up beating Orlando as Billy hit a few jumpers towards the end of the game because Shaq wouldn't come out to guard him (some things don't change).

Stuart

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Oh I am sorry, Isaiah was a clean player. That is why he had so many friends in the league. I was so happy when Malone busted his eye.

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
Originally posted by <b>piri</b>!
When I was a child and the NBA games appears in spain's TV Laimbeer was my model of how a C must play.
Very hard defense, Very hard Defense, rebounding and giving some points, but (I don't want to forget this point) very hard defense.

Bill is one of the best 5 C that I've ever seen on an american court. I'm 27 and the other four are the admirall, Shaq, Hakeem, and Sabonis (perhaps he spent his best years of basketball in my country Spain).
Soon Yao will become your 6th :yes:

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Laimbeer was a skilled player and a good rebounder/defender, but he had a cowardly mentality while fronting a tough guy image.

A columnist I recently read, forget which one now, put it best: "Laimbeer always called himself Isaiah's 'enforcer,' but when things got rough, he hid behind Mahorn."

I intensely disliked Laimbeer due to his wanna-be macho attitude, but he was a good player, certainly.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Originally posted by <b>reisedogg</b>!
Oh I am sorry, Isaiah was a clean player. That is why he had so many friends in the league. I was so happy when Malone busted his eye.
Don't be sorry, I took no offense to your comments.

But while were on the subject of your comments, isn't it funny how you say Isiah was so dirty because he didn't have "many friends in the league" (not a great argument in the first place, but even less so without examples) and in the same sentence saying that you were so glad that Malone busted his eye.

Funny, I don't ever remember Isiah busting someone's eye. In fact, he is one of my favorite players of all time and can't thing of one thing he did that can be considered on the level of a, say, Rick Mahorn or AC Green.

Name three things that Isiah did that was so dirty? Or better yet, name one thing that was as dirty as what Laimbeer or Karl Malone has done throughout their careers.

Stuart

·
Registered
493 Posts
Better than Garnett. Could play a real center and hit three pointers ( 35 - 37 % when he shot more of those ).
17 ppg and 13 boards is not any worse than what Garnett is putting up today against weaker competition considering Laimbeer played with a bunch of scorers like Isiah, Dumars, Vinnie who shot a lot ( and I mean a loooooooot )

Once hit 6 three pointers in the 4th quarter alone. Know any Centers who did that?

Had range, was dirty, I can't say I liked the Pistons too much, but Isiah, Dumars and Vinnie could score. Laimbeer too when necessary.

Probably could dress up today and hold Garnett to 4-5 points and 4-5 boards.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Minstrel</b>!
Laimbeer was a skilled player and a good rebounder/defender, but he had a cowardly mentality while fronting a tough guy image.

A columnist I recently read, forget which one now, put it best: "Laimbeer always called himself Isaiah's 'enforcer,' but when things got rough, he hid behind Mahorn."

I intensely disliked Laimbeer due to his wanna-be macho attitude, but he was a good player, certainly.
Yeah I read that article too, it was from the guy on Page 2 on ESPN.

You can't take ANYTHING that guys says about Bill Laimbeer seriously. He is a HUGE, and I mean HUGE, Boston Celtics and Larry Bird slappy and hates Bill with a passion. He takes a shot at him in almost every article he writes. He is extremely biased against him and he'll even admit it.

He's entertaining, but I wouldn't be forming your opinion on Bill from that guy.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mike luvs KG</b>!

You can't take ANYTHING that guys says about Bill Laimbeer seriously. He is a HUGE, and I mean HUGE, Boston Celtics and Larry Bird slappy and hates Bill with a passion. He takes a shot at him in almost every article he writes. He is extremely biased against him and he'll even admit it.

He's entertaining, but I wouldn't be forming your opinion on Bill from that guy.
I wasn't "forming my opinion" from that guy (Bill Simmons, now that you've identified him for me, as the Celtics fan). I already had this opinion from my experience of watching basketball in the '80s.

I simply thought that columnist said it best. He put into words well the opinion that I already had.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Laimbeer, when all is said and done, is probably one of the underrated centers of all time. He was a great teammate and hell to play against. Likable? Not by anyone outside Detroit. Had a savage streak and deserved his reputation as a cheap-shot artist. He was part of a defense-oriented roster (along with Mahorn, Rodman and Salley) that changed the way basketball was played for a good 15 years or more.

Laimbeer was terrific at the pick and roll, and one of the best shooters among big men of his era. But to me the most interesting fact is that Laimbeer was the most prolific rebounder of the 1980s. I think that occurred in part because the vast majority of his productive years all came in the same decade, unlike some of his contemporaries like Moses Malone, Charles Barkley and Hakeem Olajuwon who put up better career numbers but whose careers were pretty even divided among different decades. Still, that's quite an accomplishment for Nasty Ol' Bill.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts