Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the idea was to free him up a little more and get him some easier scoring opportunities but Kobe has abused it. He's been taking shots almost everytime he touches the ball. It would be one thing to give a more disciplined player the freedom to shoot the ball more but Kobe has proven over the years that he's incapable of playing within the confines of a structured offense, especially as the lead dog. He just takes way too many bad shots for Phil to give him so much freedom. I know that our offense has been stagnating but Kobe has been part of the problem, not the solution. Screaming for the ball in the post everytime down court doesn't exactly help the other players gain familiarity with the offense. It gets them used to giving Kobe the ball and standing around, just like Kobe likes it. Don't contort this post into me hating Kobe or anything. I've always said that he's one of my favorite players. However, I can't get over the fact that he hasn't been able to curb his aggressive and often selfish play after 10 years in this league. I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever be able to win another title with Kobe as the "go to guy".

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Those first 4 games of the season, Kobe was playing amazing. He wasn't forcing so much like he has been lately and he was distributing the ball lately. I don't know what happend, but he certainly is going back to his old ways. I agree with you in that his selfishness is his biggest weakness, it's almost like if he can't sink a couple shots, he'll force many more just to force himself into a rhythm. But then again, I think it will take a couple more games for other players to work themselves into the triangle. As they learn the offense more, I think Kobe will be more of a willing distributor. Right now though, he is taking it all upon himself.

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
his hand is busted. that's all. Otherwise he would still be averaging 36, and shooting around 48%

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
madskillz1_99 said:
his hand is busted. that's all. Otherwise he would still be averaging 36, and shooting around 48%
Yeah, thats part of the problem, but the other part is his bad shot selection. You would think he'd take less shots with a bad hand and try to get everyone else more involved with the offense.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
I wouldn't judge him based on just this one game. He was playing tremendous within the offense on that block/pinch post area until he hurt the hand.

Kobe's the least of this team's worries; i.e. Kwame and Mihm.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
It's time for him to get down to around 22 FGA's a game and become more of a facillitator. Keep getting to the line, but 33 shots is TOO MUCH.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Kobe is shooting way to much and specially from the outside. He needs to take it to the basket more, he settles for the outside shot too much.

·
Premium Member
10,320 Posts
The wing position is his best talent. I believe he is clanging shots because of his hand. What he needs to do is stop shooting so much if it's bothering him. This reminds me of the time he messed up his shoulder and tried to shoot a left handed three pointer.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I think Kobe averaging 25 shots would be okay, but as far as 36 goes...we definatley dont want him to take 36 shots to average 36 points. Early in the year with Kobe able to get his open shots that was definatley a beneficial part for the Lakers. But now teams have picked up on that and swarm Kobe whenever he gets the ball. I hate it when Kobe comes down the court gets a little passed the 3pt line, where 3 guys are on him and instead of passing it he shoots it. Not only that whenever Kobe gets stripped or believe he's gotten foulded instead of getting back on defense right away he pauses a few seconds to ***** at the ref. As far as leadership goes, Kobe is really having a hard time showing that. Kobe needs to at least save 5 shots in the opening 1st and 3rd quarters to both Chris Mihm and Kwame Brown each so they can at least have a few pts on the board. Even with Phil Jackson and Lamar Odom still adjusting to this team, I think the blame should be on Kobe. #8 wanted this and he hasn't really shown really good leadership of trusting his teammates rather than showing he can put up a lot of shots and hopefully they go in and he'll average lots of points.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts