Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jerry Stackhouse (OK, not so young... but not ancient either)
Gilbert Arenas
Larry Hughes
Kwame Brown
Jarvis Hayes
Jared Jeffries
Steve Blake
Juan Dixon
Etan Thomas
Brendan Haywood

ALL these guys can play. Perhaps a little stacked in the backcourt, but nothing a decent trade can't fix. Maybe MJ wasn't a bad GM afterall. I mean, he is responsible for getting all of these guys sans Arenas, Hayes and Blake, correct?

As stated above, a trade that could perhaps land a better option at the 5 than Thomas or Haywood (although these guys are totally decent) could stack this team at every spot. Someone like Erick Dampier who could provide somewhat of a veteran presence and could feasibly dominate the East. Would something like Dampier and Cheaney for Stack and Thomas work (Mike Dunleavy moves to point forward)? Maybe Jared Jefferies would have to depart to land a player of Dampier's caliber. This team could be the Eastern version of Memphis IMO.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
you forgot Jarvis Hayes. and yes, I think MJ did a great job rebuilding this team from shambles. lucking out on their next lotto pick and making the right trades they should be very competitive in the east.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Arenas-Kwame should be the cornerstone of that franchise for the next decade. The Wizards are definitely moving in the right direction. I think they have done much better since Jordan left town.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
I'm a huge Steve Blake fan, watching him in college I didn't think he'd be able to make the transition to the pros, but it seems like he brought his game up another level.

Too bad Arenas, and Stackhouse have missed the majority of the season, this could've been a promising team especially with the muck as it is right now in the East.

-Tim

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
So why has the team not played up to its apparent talent level? There are some subtle and maybe not-so-subtle issues with composition and chemistry.

To begin with, the backcourt is the home of most of the talent and certainly most of the experience. Maybe playing Stack at SF and Hughes at SG would work, at least against some opponents. But that to work Arenas will need to show he can step up his playmaking instincts, focusing on posting numbers more like 16 ppg and 8 apg than 18 ppg and 6 apg.

It's nice to see Kwame show more consistency. He's an essential part of the Wizards being able to win with this roster.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jericho</b>!
So why has the team not played up to its apparent talent level? There are some subtle and maybe not-so-subtle issues with composition and chemistry.

To begin with, the backcourt is the home of most of the talent and certainly most of the experience. Maybe playing Stack at SF and Hughes at SG would work, at least against some opponents. But that to work Arenas will need to show he can step up his playmaking instincts, focusing on posting numbers more like 16 ppg and 8 apg than 18 ppg and 6 apg.

It's nice to see Kwame show more consistency. He's an essential part of the Wizards being able to win with this roster.
Stack is already playing SF and Hughes is already playing SG
Arenas already showed that he can play with Hughes and Stack in the last game they played against Memphis, the bench is what lost the game for us. Wizards will be good after the all-star break.

·
_(&#12484;)_&#3626;&#3657;&#3657;&#3657;&#3657;&#3
28,008 Posts
All these guys need is a coach (and to stay healthy). Much like Memphis in the West, if these guys got rid of Eddie Jordan and found someone to harness all the talent on that team, then they'd become big players in the Eastern Conference.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rawse</b>!
All these guys need is a coach (and to stay healthy). Much like Memphis in the West, if these guys got rid of Eddie Jordan and found someone to harness all the talent on that team, then they'd become big players in the Eastern Conference.
How about Hubie Brown? :D.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KIMCHI</b>!
i'll trade stack and hughes for gasol and fillers, any taker ?
Not Memphis, that's for sure.

Firstly, the obvious, the salaries don't match. I doubt that Gasol could be traded for just Hughes, let alone throwing in Stackhouse. Second, it's a big for small trade. Simply put, as we here in Washington know very well, that's the pathway to mediocrity. Third, this trade is just redundant for Memphis. They already have Wells, Posey, and Miller.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Hubie Brown said in a post game interview that the Wizards are the up and coming team in the East and that their going to be a team to deal with after the All-Star break. He also said that their faster on the break than any team in the league.

Just watching them play one game healthy against Memphis, you could see they have tons of potential. The starters were dominating until the bench came in and gave up a 13 point lead. They arguably have the best 1-2-3 in the East, and Kwame is starting to rack up double doubles. Their bench is somewhat deep, everyone on thier team has started at least one game this year. While Arenas and Stackhouse were injured, Larry Hughes became a big time player and Kwame improved greatly.

They have a very easy division next year too, so they can get a top 3 seed next year just by winning that division.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
I agree that their nucleaus is underrated. I thought Jordan in generaly did a very good job building the team. It's going to take time though. I think Memphis is a good comparison. It's not like the Grizzlies weren't grossly talented before Hubie Brown took control. Young teams just have a tendency to be very inconsistent. You just need patience from management. Good coaching. And maybe one good trade and you're there.

All things that I thought Jordan was doing for them. It was a setback to have Jordan start building his team, and then get rid of him before he could bring it to fruition. Especially since he wasn't replaced with a great GM like Jerry West.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Got to post some of tonight's game stats versus the Clips in a 112-100 win:

<b>Jerry Stackhouse</b>: 23 points (7-12 FG, 3-3 3P, 6-8 FT), 4 rebounds, 6 assists, 5 steals, 38 minutes
<b>Gilbert Arenas</b>: 25 points (8-15 FG, 1-3 3P, 8-10 FT), 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 44 minutes
<b>Larry Hughes</b>: 21 points (9-20 FG, 3-3 FT), 12 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 45 minutes
<b>Kwame Brown</b>: 22 points (8-12 FG, 6-7 FT), 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 43 minutes

:wiz:

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MJG</b>!
Got to post some of tonight's game stats versus the Clips in a 112-100 win:

<b>Jerry Stackhouse</b>: 23 points (7-12 FG, 3-3 3P, 6-8 FT), 4 rebounds, 6 assists, 5 steals, 38 minutes
<b>Gilbert Arenas</b>: 25 points (8-15 FG, 1-3 3P, 8-10 FT), 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 44 minutes
<b>Larry Hughes</b>: 21 points (9-20 FG, 3-3 FT), 12 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 45 minutes
<b>Kwame Brown</b>: 22 points (8-12 FG, 6-7 FT), 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 43 minutes

:wiz:
25-3 lead in the first 7 minutes was great:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.