Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from an amateur basketball fans perspective...
watching the lakers today, the biggest problem i see is that they cant execute a pick and roll properly. everytime mihm/brown sets a screen for kobe, kobe strolls to his left and mihm/brown often stands around, doing nothing and kobes forced to pass it to the weak side where smush or odom gets the ball with 8-10 seconds... then they attack the basketball with no luck, and forced to pass it back to kobe, who jacks up a bad shot. i think this is why its is so important to have a guy like horace grant who can hit that 18 foot jumper and punish the defense for double teaming kobe on the pick and roll.
i'm disappointed with the fact that phil jackson doesnt use brian cook effectively.. hes deadly when it comes to the pick and pop with kobe.
but cookie loses his confident to easily, he misses 1 or 2 shots and he fades away into obscurity and eventually to the bench.
however, cook hasnt earned his minutes yet. hes still a poor defender, rebounder, and gets beat often against quicker and more athletic big men. (why didnt phil use cook against webber? webbers got like a 10 inch vertical)
but with smart play (getting in the right position, boxing out your man, knowing when to pump fake when the defender jumps at you) i believe cook can get 25 minutes off the bench especially with the way kwames tossing up aimless hook shots. (looks like he just throws it up there hoping it would go in.. plus hes got the worse hands i have ever seen seriously.. serious butterfingers)

even though its only the 6th game of the season, the lakers need some dead-eye shooters. the spacing was just horrible. it seemed like white jerseys were clogging up the middle everytime around. no where for kobe to penetrate to shoot a layup or a mid range J. but when he did penetrate and passed the ball out to either george or smush it was very effective. but then i dont think kobe trust his teammates ability to shoot the ball. thats is why he forced most of his shots and thats the biggest problem.

today's game reminded me of last years horrible season.. hopefully phil can fix this..

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
WTF.. I also wasnt thrilled BC played 2 minutes.. What a great idea to sign him to an extension and play him 2 minutes.. LMAO.. Stupid Lakers.. They also made the mistake of drafting Brian over Barbosa (Kid is a HOFer) and Sasha.. At least decline Cook's option, trade him, do something.. I know he's not great but neither is Kwame (Cant even hold on to the ball) or Mihm (Either plays great or contributes nothing).. This is hilarious.. What's even better.. Is Washington got a steal in the trade and also McKie is Mr. McCrap.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Adressing the part about the spacing, I think that spacing wasnt the biggest problem, its just that the 6ers played REALLY good defense on Kobe. I think we just swung the ball on the wings too much. Some of our guys were too passive.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think that on some occassions kobe did force some shots. I love what he started to do at the end of the game, which was to attack the defense by penetrating. When he did this he force the defense to collapse on him and he passed it to the open man. He got a couple assists doing it and brought the lakers closer to winning the game. At the end it wasn't enough because they didn't get the stop they needed. But I wish that he could start doing this throughout the game. Sometimes when he tries to get everyone involve, it looks like he doesn't get involve in the game, unless you count passing the ball around and standing still.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
its called pick and pop

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
can i join the james singleton club?

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
The Lakers drafted Cook because they had Shaq. Cook with Shaq would be outstanding. The Heat would be better of with him then Walker

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Pioneer10 said:
The Lakers drafted Cook because they had Shaq. Cook with Shaq would be outstanding. The Heat would be better of with him then Walker
Cook is still a bench player, though. He has too many deficiencies in other areas to start. I agree, though, Cook would be a good fit in Miami.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have an idea! Lets trade Cook for Haslem. Think they'll do it?

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Brian34Cook said:
WTF.. I also wasnt thrilled BC played 2 minutes.. What a great idea to sign him to an extension and play him 2 minutes.. LMAO.. Stupid Lakers.. They also made the mistake of drafting Brian over Barbosa (Kid is a HOFer) and Sasha.. At least decline Cook's option, trade him, do something.. I know he's not great but neither is Kwame (Cant even hold on to the ball) or Mihm (Either plays great or contributes nothing).. This is hilarious.. What's even better.. Is Washington got a steal in the trade and also McKie is Mr. McCrap.
Wait...Barbosa is a HOFer? What?

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
a little early to say Leandro Barbossa is a HOF isnt it? on another note, the spurs own at drafting, they drafted barbosa... as well as countless other good players with crappy picks

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,586 Posts
On a positive note...
at least Mihm had a great game. 20 pts 9 rebs

Lets hope hes finally grown some cohones on the road!

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CubanLaker said:
On a positive note...
at least Mihm had a great game. 20 pts 9 rebs

Lets hope hes finally grown some cohones on the road!
trust me mihm will show some consistency.. he'll have a bad game once in awhile but not as bad as the first few games..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts