Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Insider.

Wolves point guard Chauncey Billups had the Heat, not the Pistons, ranked higher on his free-agent wish list when the negotiating period began July 1st. So why has he already agreed to a contract with the Pistons?

The Heat had interest, but dragged their feet. Billups was anxious to get a deal done as soon as possible, and the Pistons obliged.

"I have the philosophy that you have to strike early, even if it's a big field," Pistons GM Joe Dumars told the Sun Sentinel. "It was a limited field this year. We felt, 'You know what? We better jump on this guy immediately, not wait.'"

With Billups to formally commit July 17, it reduces the Heat's (and everyone else's for that matter) top-tier free-agent options to Travis Best, Jeff McInnis and incumbent starter Rod Strickland. The Warriors, Clippers, Nuggets, T-Wolves, Wizards, Knicks, Magic, Nets and Pacers are all in the market for a solid point guard this summer.

The second tier of point guards includes Jacque Vaughn, Tim Hardaway, Chris Childs, Mookie Blaylock, Greg Anthony, Troy Hudson, Damon Jones and Rafer Alston.

·
Beer Drinker!!!
8,247 Posts
I think the Pistons are giving him a $35 million deal,no way in hell would Riles give him that much!I wanted Billups,but I will be more then happy with Best,hes pretty much a LOCK to sign with us now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts