94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...after the trades and the draft...this is what we look like

PG: J Will / B Knight
SG: M Dickerson / W Person
SF: S Battier / D Gooden
PF: P Gasol / S Swift / C Owens
C: L Wright / T Massenburg / R Archibald

It looks pretty decent.....and we will probably get Will Solomon at PG and Antonis Fotsis at SF back for this season. Havent heard anything on Rodney Buford, so I guess he is done
So it looks like we are set on all positions except SG considering the injuries to Michael Dickerson over the last season.
I guess adding another SG or maybe get a SF and move Battier to SG would also work.
The best candidate among the free agents or on the trading block looks like Wally Sczerbiak.....
This guy can score ouright and would be a great addition to our developing team.
Lets hope we get somebody that can guarantee 15 points a night and we can expect to be in the playoffs a couple years down the road

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wally and Shane are bascically the same type of players, But Minnesota will ask for a lot from him if they do a sign and trade.

Wesley is exactly like SHane too.

Im sure West knows what he is doing.

·
Registered
872 Posts
we dont need wally, we already got a shooter in wesley person and wally isnt is much of a improvement over dickerson or battier.
we need another 5 to help wright, may be someone like Scott Pollard and if the grizz avoid injuries then you can talk of a playoff calibre team.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Exactly I think you guys got great shooters.

I dont know maybe some of you guys forget Mike Dickerson is a great shooter. He averaged 17 points in Vancover. He really hasent showed what he can do in Memphis yet, and provided no injury and 100% I see big things for this guy.

This team really did great in this draft while I still dont see us West playoff contenders a 35 win season is definetly reachable.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
the thing i think the griz need the most is a floor leader....not pg necessarily, but someone big (talent and leadership wise) cuz I don't see any players on the Grizz who will take the team and lead them to the Playoffs or to a 35 win season. They have Gasol but its his 2nd year.....so I'm talkin bout a vet....someone like a Dale Davis, Mark Jackson, Coleman, OAKLEY would straighten some guys out.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sime, I think Lo Wright is that player. Some Grizzly fans will tell you that Lo's not the most talented player on the team, but he got in alot of the guys face last year. I also think Battier will become that type of player more and more as the season rolls on, not only verbally, but by his work ethic on the floor.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Do you think Battier has the type of leadership?

Whenever I watch him he seems very quiet on the floor and to me he is to nice to be a leader of a NBA team. A captain of a team pats you on the back when you do something good. He also lets you hear it when you have done something wrong, Battier to me does not have that cut throat mentality to get after someone when he's made a mistake. Also let's not forget Shane is only a rookie and leadership come with time.

The only addition I would make to this team is a veteran leader someone who has been to the top and knows what it takes to get there. Players I suggest

-Charles Oakley (One of the best team leaders ever IMO not afraid to speak the truth)
-Antonio Davis (If Memphis has a chance to get him I would jump on it. By him self he brought Toronto to the playoffs with no VC, and within 3 points of beating Detroit. He makes max money tho. Is he worth?)
-Avery Johnson(obvious explanation)

1 more quality veteran and I say at least 35 wins.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Originally posted by JUNKIE

The only addition I would make to this team is a veteran leader someone who has been to the top and knows what it takes to get there. Players I suggest

-Charles Oakley (One of the best team leaders ever IMO not afraid to speak the truth)
-Antonio Davis (If Memphis has a chance to get him I would jump on it. By him self he brought Toronto to the playoffs with no VC, and within 3 points of beating Detroit. He makes max money tho. Is he worth?)
-Avery Johnson(obvious explanation)

1 more quality veteran and I say at least 35 wins.
i agree with that ;) but i think Dale Davis its a most possible target than Antonio and he can help too.
there is no much room for avery johson here, we have a couple of pgs right now.. but if west can make a deal of Wright-swift-knight for a good, veteran center (dale or antonio davis? )we should make a rush for avery to fill the backup veteran pg.
with dale davis and avery johnson as leaders i think this team can have a playoff run

·
Registered
200 Posts
Junkie, if you could be there in person and see how Battier works in the huddle, you'll see what I'm talking about. No he is not that cut throat type of guy that's gonna be all over you when you do something wrong, but the type who's gonna keep encouraging you about not giving up and give everything you got. There were times last year when the team would be in a close game and he was the guy who constantly shouted to them "We're not out of this game and we're going to win it". And with this year coming up, and we begin to see alot more wins, I think he will start to display more and more of that.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Originally posted by bdachakeya
Junkie, if you could be there in person and see how Battier works in the huddle, you'll see what I'm talking about. No he is not that cut throat type of guy that's gonna be all over you when you do something wrong, but the type who's gonna keep encouraging you about not giving up and give everything you got. There were times last year when the team would be in a close game and he was the guy who constantly shouted to them "We're not out of this game and we're going to win it". And with this year coming up, and we begin to see alot more wins, I think he will start to display more and more of that.
I understand what your saying but someone during a game who is saying

"We're not out of this game and we're going to win it"
and encoraging players not to give up is more of a fan/ cheerleader then a team leader

Every team needs someone who will yell at them if there doing the wrong things and I dont see Battier doing that.
This player must be respected by all players.

If Battier went up to a veteran and said "stop giving the balll away and be patient with the ball" the veteran would look at him and laugh. I find it nearly impossible for someone that young to be a real leader exspecially on a young team where everyone is competing for jobs"

I have no doubt that he will one day be a leader but I doubt he will in his sophmore season.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts