Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Miami and Milwaukee have trade exceptions worth $3.36M and $4.65M, respectively. We should be doing everything in our power to sign-and-trade Travis Best to these guys.

I would offer Travis Best signed at $3.36M and $3M in cash for a 2nd round pick to either of these teams, if they were willing to take it. Heck, I would even give them a 2nd round pick (rather than taking one) if that would get through Stern's office. (I doubt that it would.) Yes, I am saying that I would trade Best, $3M, and a 2nd round pick for nothing except the trade exception.

A trade exception of $3.36M will be worth its weight in gold as teams try to get under the luxury cap threshhold. It would leave us as one of the few teams that could really help teams get under the threshhold.

We could try to do something similar with Oakley, but I bet that is a longshot at best.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Interesting info NC

Good find

Anyway , I favour a Miami / Orlando / Chi 3 way whereby :

Miami gets Travis at $3.5M
Orlando gets the trade exception to help pitch for Keon ( Can they give him a part of this exception ? )
Chicago gets Andrew DeClerq ( 2 years at $3.3M with team option next year if we want to clear him )

As much as I want Thomas or Foyle upfront , I think they both would be difficult to attain

Andrew DeClerq ( IMHO ) would be a good option for us . He 's a hustler who will out his body on the line and play defense

He and Corie would give us some nice vet defenders upfront that could contribute behind Tyson and Eddy

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea, but I think we could do a little better than that.

First off, Best would have to sign for less than or equal to the trade exception.

Second, I think we could pry Miller and DeClerq and future 1st rounder from Orlando for Fizer. From their perspective the trade is Miller, DeClerq, and a future 1st rounder for Fizer and Clark, which is a good trade for them. Orlando would also get a big trade exception, which could come in handy next year.

Trades like this one are exactly why trade exceptions are so valuable. But since teams are not eager to take on salary, they are hard to get.

And no, Orlando could not use the trade exception to sign Clark, unless it was in some kind of sign-and-trade.

·
Registered
510 Posts
This is very interesting stuff NCBullsFan . I don't think anyone one this board is better at doing homework than you and major props for all the homework and insightful information you have provided us. I would do this instantly if the opportunity arose,
Thanks again.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I need to start quoting here. My tribute post to you NCBullsFan
is on your initial post Your 2nd one is also interesting and no offense FJ, but is a better idea tab yours. It does leave open a world of possibilities.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Originally posted by NCBullsFan
Good idea, but I think we could do a little better than that.

First off, Best would have to sign for less than or equal to the trade exception.

Second, I think we could pry Miller and DeClerq and future 1st rounder from Orlando for Fizer. From their perspective the trade is Miller, DeClerq, and a future 1st rounder for Fizer and Clark, which is a good trade for them. Orlando would also get a big trade exception, which could come in handy next year.

Trades like this one are exactly why trade exceptions are so valuable. But since teams are not eager to take on salary, they are hard to get.

And no, Orlando could not use the trade exception to sign Clark, unless it was in some kind of sign-and-trade.
Yeah fair enough

Best at $3.3M instead of $3.5M - no big deal.

But at the end of the day it is still the trade exception for DeClerq and Fizer for Miller essentially ..... or am I missing something ?

Fizer @ $3M + trade exception at $3.3M = $6.3M

Miller at $2.7M and DeClerq at $3.3M = $6M

We would have to tip the trade exception in to balance the trade . Would'nt we ?

And with no trade exception accruing as part of the trade that you suggest ( as it does not appear to meet CBA requirements ) Orlando would have no trade exception to work with which further leads me into a belief that they would not consider a further 1st rounder

Maybe I am missing something ?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If we wanted to maximize the trade exception for Orlando, we would do this in two parts.

First, we would trade Miller ($2.7M) for Fizer ($3M), which would work under the regular rules.

Second, we would trade DeClerq ($3.3M) and a future first rounder for a 2nd round pick from us (this is new). This trade works because of our trade exception from the proposed trade of Best to Miami. Orlando would pick up a trade exception of $3.4M, the difference in salaries in the trade plus $100K.

Otherwise, we could trade Fizer ($3M) for DeClerq and Miller ($6M) and a future 1st rounder. Again, the trade works, because of our trade exception. Orlando would pick up a trade exception of $3.1M.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Originally posted by NCBullsFan
If we wanted to maximize the trade exception for Orlando, we would do this in two parts.

First, we would trade Miller ($2.7M) for Fizer ($3M), which would work under the regular rules.

Second, we would trade DeClerq ($3.3M) and a future first rounder for a 2nd round pick from us (this is new). This trade works because of our trade exception from the proposed trade of Best to Miami. Orlando would pick up a trade exception of $3.4M, the difference in salaries in the trade plus $100K.

Otherwise, we could trade Fizer ($3M) for DeClerq and Miller ($6M) and a future 1st rounder. Again, the trade works, because of our trade exception. Orlando would pick up a trade exception of $3.1M.
Yeah that's the way I understood it in the first place - I just had not expanded it to include Fizz and Spanky

·
Registered
593 Posts
stop, Stop, you're hurting my head!!:upset:

you all must be lawyers or something. how on earth do you follow all this stuff in your head. i feel like my brain was just hit by a vacuum pump.:p

thanks for the info guys. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts