Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean for a future pick - 2007 and after.

I know many people would say the last thing we need is another Rookie , and in a way it's true. But this shouldn't hurt our efforts in the FA market for guys like Devin/Raja.

A low 1st round pick is a low salary for the next 4 years (depending on new cba rules) , and the way Pax has been picking so far , I don't doubt his scouting ability (unlike JK).

Possible options to do so:

1. Trade with SA for a 2007 top 20 protected. SA owns 2 low 1st rounders - their own and Suns Pick , probably both 28-30. I doubt they'd use both , especially since their 'after Manu' steal Lois Scola will most likely Join them next season. And he's a worthy Core guy. So one of those 2 picks might be very Gettable for us , without trading a player , just a future protected 1st. SA did a trade like that with Suns 2 years ago with Suns (Barbosa trade-28th) at 2003 draft - and got a 2005(till 2008) top 20 protected Suns pick - so it's basically the same trade - 2 years later , and protected.

2.Trade with Jazz - They have 2 rookies on their roster now , and traded their 3rd 1st rounder last draft to Dallas for a future pick (Podlozkine - 21st).
Next draft they own their pick (high) , Dallas 1st rounder (low) and a NY lottery protected (probably will get hat one in future).They also have Pistons 1st at 2006. So they have 2 in 2005 and 3 1st rounders in 2006. They also own lots of 2nd rounders in the next 2 years. So I think we can possibly get their Dallas 1st rounder for a future 2007 and beyond protected 1st rounder.

3.there is always a possibility a top team is not interested in a low draft pick the same year. NJ traded the 22nd pick to the blazers last draft for Eddie Gill (Cut right away) and Cash due to cap situation.

We can also add our 2 mil (+/-) trade exeption .

Now - why am I aiming to this low 1st. Thats because at least on of these wing players will be available at the end of the 1st , and I trust Pax to pick the right one:

1.Fransisco Garcia - A top choice for me cause he's likely to be available , can play 1/2/3 , Good handle , great passer , good shooter , A Junior , a leader , plays hard on both sides , long , good character , hard worker. Fits the Pax?Skiles mold.

2.Danny Granger - Notes: Only player in college basketball to average over 18 points, nine rebounds, two assists, two steals, and two blocks in 2004-2005 , great defense , has a very efficient 3p shot now , long , tough.

3.Joey Grahm - athletic freak with great size,strength and speed. Can shoot the rock. Probably go higher.

And other SG/SF's we might get (few of them will eventually slip)

Rudy Fernandez
Kennedy Winston
CJ Miles (HS??)
Jawad williams
Dijon Thomphson
Mickaël Gelabale (french - plays in real madrid)
Even Rashad McCants

And I'm only for this if we can get it done for a future pick (and trade exception)!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,975 Posts
It'll be interesting to see what the new CBA and proposed age limit does to this year's draft. We might see an influx of underclassmen and HSers that would suddenly make this a deep draft. What could Pax offer to get a pick this year? Maybe Pike?

BTW, didn't SA trade at least one of their picks to NY this year in the Rose trade?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sp00k said:
BTW, didn't SA trade at least one of their picks to NY this year in the Rose trade?
oops - I think You're right. I don't think it was published what year the pick is from , but I'd guess it's one of those.

I don't think Pike can get us a low 1st rounder...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,921 Posts
Grahm- won't slip
Jawad Williams- not a guard
McCants - won't slip that far

Add Julius Hodge to that list he reminds me of Josh Howard (not in style if play of for such well rounded numbers and playing 4 seasons), will the NBA punish this guy for staying four years?

Garcia- won't slip that far
 

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
Joined
·
5,080 Posts
Eddie Basden!!! The guy will skyrocket through the standings when Charlotte stuns NC State (I say stuns because although Charlotte's the 7 in the 7-10 matchup, most people are favoring NC State).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Showtyme said:
Eddie Basden!!! The guy will skyrocket through the standings when Charlotte stuns NC State (I say stuns because although Charlotte's the 7 in the 7-10 matchup, most people are favoring NC State).

I like Badsen too.

Though I'm quite sure a 2nd rounder will be enough to get him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,048 Posts
Showtyme said:
Eddie Basden!!! The guy will skyrocket through the standings when Charlotte stuns NC State (I say stuns because although Charlotte's the 7 in the 7-10 matchup, most people are favoring NC State).
Perhaps we should be looking at Julius Hodge instead? ;)
 

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
Joined
·
5,080 Posts
rwj333 said:
Perhaps we should be looking at Julius Hodge instead? ;)
Roger that. Hodge is showing up strong on both ends of the court.

I like Basden still, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
i think julius hodge would definitely fit right into the bull's system. he penetrates, dishes, hits the long jumper, and then he can also play defense. i think we could get him with the 18-23 pick, and he would be a valuable asset to the team. Hopefully Pax can work his magic once again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rwj333 said:
Perhaps we should be looking at Julius Hodge instead? ;)
Hodge is playing himself deeper into the 1st round.

Just took N.C State past UCon with 17 pts and 6 asts

And the game winning shot!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,641 Posts
Hustle said:
Add Julius Hodge to that list he reminds me of Josh Howard (not in style if play of for such well rounded numbers and playing 4 seasons), will the NBA punish this guy for staying four years?

Garcia- won't slip that far
Chad Ford likes the Howard comparo. I think he meant that the situations could be similar as far as being a hard to figure guy getting picked down low that pans out...more than style though.
Hodge is also said to have defense issues.
supposedly can handle it, and pass while being unafraid to take it inside.


I'm thinking the sucess of the Bulls and their ready made player philosophy will cause some young guys to drop more, and Upperclass college guys to rise more. Players Like Gerald Green who is described like he's a Dorell Wright clone could drop some.

Rudy Fernandez sounds like a Pax type. Plays D, rebounds, shoots, great athlete who needs to work on getting stronger. Euro ready made.....Might not be real tall unfortunately

Francisco Garcia, sounds good too. Why won't he slip that far?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,750 Posts
I think Paxson would like Francisco Garcia as well. I haven't seen much of Eddie Basden, so I can't comment. I think if Paxson can land a pick, he will be looking at SG, or a tall combo guard who can defend.

You can never have too many shooters, so I think Paxson would be interested in Salim Stoudamire (espcially if he could find a tall PG) if he could get a 2nd round pick, and J.J. Redick, but he'll probably come out in 2006.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Benny the Bull said:
I think Paxson would like Francisco Garcia as well. I haven't seen much of Eddie Basden, so I can't comment. I think if Paxson can land a pick, he will be looking at SG, or a tall combo guard who can defend.

You can never have too many shooters, so I think Paxson would be interested in Salim Stoudamire (espcially if he could find a tall PG) if he could get a 2nd round pick, and J.J. Redick, but he'll probably come out in 2006.
Garcia has already proven he's a moneytime clutch player , and he's doing it again.

Last night 21 points , and the game before 27.

Although he ain't a nutty athlete he's got all the qualities of a good solid nba player along with great approach to the game.

Garcia is the guy I'd really love to get , but chances are slim , and with his play getting slimmer.
 

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
Joined
·
5,080 Posts
Still, ONE of these great wing guys has to be available in the 2nd round. Not every team in the draft is looking for wing players; I'd say most aren't.

Purely due to need, some talent is going to drop into our laps, even with a ghastly low 2nd rounder.

Not that this is at all accurate, but Julius Hodge and Eddie Basden are both within our reach according to nbadraft.net. Again, I don't vouch for its accuracy, but just the fact that there are 50 players that are even ostensibly more desirable than those two... it's a fairly deep draft.

They have us taking Alan Anderson right now, at 48, who is also a terrific pick and a smart defender. Donnell Taylor is available around that pick as well, who erupted and help lead UAB into the tourney. And this guy is a real-deal defender as well, athletic enough to keep up with any guard, but a ball thief in the passing lanes like crazy.

A low 1st rounder would allow us to capitalize even more on that, but the formula for that is to find a team in salary cap trouble that doesn't want to take on the salary of a rookie-scale contract. That may all change in the CBA, firstly, but secondly, low 1st-rounders are a steal. If a team were willing to trade us their low 1st-rounder, that would mean that they don't see talent worth signing on the super-cheap. The draft is deep with great collegiate players and a few international guys worth looking at, so I doubt this will be the case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bullet said:
Garcia has already proven he's a moneytime clutch player , and he's doing it again.

Last night 21 points , and the game before 27.

Although he ain't a nutty athlete he's got all the qualities of a good solid nba player along with great approach to the game.

Garcia is the guy I'd really love to get , but chances are slim , and with his play getting slimmer.
Garcia was one of the top performers of the first week of the tournament with 27 and 21 point efforts. Garcia's aggressive play has led to 19 trips to the line where he has hit all but one shot.
It's Garcia's outside shooting which had been cold for the second half of the season, that has caught fire.

The Cardinal are one of the hottest teams in the tournament and Garcia is a big reason. When his outside shooting is going, he's a very dangerous player as he can handle and pass the ball well.

Next up for the Cardinals will be Washington in the Sweet Sixteen.
Garcia on the rise list by nbadraft.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Showtyme said:
Still, ONE of these great wing guys has to be available in the 2nd round. Not every team in the draft is looking for wing players; I'd say most aren't.

Purely due to need, some talent is going to drop into our laps, even with a ghastly low 2nd rounder.

Not that this is at all accurate, but Julius Hodge and Eddie Basden are both within our reach according to nbadraft.net. Again, I don't vouch for its accuracy, but just the fact that there are 50 players that are even ostensibly more desirable than those two... it's a fairly deep draft.

They have us taking Alan Anderson right now, at 48, who is also a terrific pick and a smart defender. Donnell Taylor is available around that pick as well, who erupted and help lead UAB into the tourney. And this guy is a real-deal defender as well, athletic enough to keep up with any guard, but a ball thief in the passing lanes like crazy.

A low 1st rounder would allow us to capitalize even more on that, but the formula for that is to find a team in salary cap trouble that doesn't want to take on the salary of a rookie-scale contract. That may all change in the CBA, firstly, but secondly, low 1st-rounders are a steal. If a team were willing to trade us their low 1st-rounder, that would mean that they don't see talent worth signing on the super-cheap. The draft is deep with great collegiate players and a few international guys worth looking at, so I doubt this will be the case.
I agree few good wing players will fall.

On the link I put in the last thread there are a few Great wing players that lost some of their stock.

BTW - one of them is your guy , showtyme , Badsen. also Joey Graham , Matt Walch (won't declare I think) and JJ reddick are all on the 'falling' list.

I can tell you I'd be glad getting Badsen in mid 2nd round for sure (if we trade for a pick of course)
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top