Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both the St Bonaventure @ Rhode Island and the Saint Joseph's @ Massachusetts could be postponed on Saturday due to weather. Springfield, MA and Kingston, RI are suppose to get over a foot of snow between Friday at noon and Saturday at noon. I wouldn't be surprised if the games were pushed back to later in the day or Sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
URI/SBU will play on saturday as long as both teams and officials are able to get there.

SBU is already in RI and special arrangements have been made for the officials (I assume in town already)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it was from URI, they put out a statement

·
Registered
488 Posts
All I know is I was stuck in Philadelphia during some crazy blizzrd about 10 years ago waiting for Temple and X to play. Most snow I have ever seen fall in one event, 36 inches or so. Game ended up being played on a Monday afternoon in the old gym (name escaping me, McConegal??). Was a few hundred fans in attendence and X got spanked hard. Good news is being stuck in Philly meant for a lot of good eating and drinking for a very extended basketball weekend.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kingston is now predicted to get about 18 inches of snow, and URI fans are pretty upset with the decision to play as scheduled right now. (URI hockey, Providence Bruins, Providence College Hockey, Bryant Basketball and other have all postponed their events for Saturday afternoon)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
There are many schools that would shyt bricks at the sound of 18 inches of snow, but St. Bonaventure ain't one of them. As long as they and the 3 officials get in, the game's on. I have a feeling that the other aforementioned sports couldn't get their officials and opponents in.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Are the Joes in Amherst already? It's a 4 or 5 hour drive if they go by bus, so a bit different situation than Bona getting to URI, which was surely by plane. Even if the Hawks fly in, they still have to get up and down about 40 miles of route 91. I've done that in a blizzard. Wouldn't want to duplicate the experience in a bus.

·
Registered
56 Posts
x-brand'01, start thinking a little more broadly. It's not only about refs and the traveling team, but about the fans, especially the season ticket subscriber base which tends to be an older crowd as opposed to on-campus students. Also, URI gets the shaft especially since their big alumni gathering, Big Chill Weekend, is scheduled for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. They will lose a ton of revenue. On the other side, SBU loves the situation because they do not lose any revenue nor do they incur extra costs and as a bonus they get to play a road game in which the URI home court advantage is somewhat neutralized.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
I get the revenue, alumni and fans issues. But, the Bonnies did make the trip. Play the game. The Bonnies deal with this situation a bit more often than URI or other schools. It's Winter, people need to deal with it. The Bonnies did and made the trip.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
we're not saying push it to 4 weeks from now, most URI fans are saying just push it to Sunday at 2pm. SBU probably won't be leaving until Sunday anyway

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
we're not saying push it to 4 weeks from now, most URI fans are saying just push it to Sunday at 2pm. SBU probably won't be leaving until Sunday anyway
The game is scheduled for 2 pm on Saturday, so I highly doubt Bona would be staying until Sunday--especially given their Wednesday night/Thursday morning arrival. Also, Bona--or any other team in the same situation--isn't in the business of catering to URI's alumni event. As long as the officials, the Bonnies, and the Rams are there, play the game as scheduled. I remember SBU playing Vanderbilt in the NIT back in the late '90s. It was a huge snow storm and MAYBE 500 people could make it to Nashville, but they played because the referees and teams were in town.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I think he's saying the Bonnies won't be ABLE to leave until Sunday, given all the snow and airports probably closing for a period of time.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if it's as bad as they saying St bonnie's (and the refs) better be staying on campus so they can walk to the game

1 - 20 of 45 Posts